Thread: Strange arcing

Post Thanks / Like

Strange arcing

Name:  DSCN6774.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  105.8 KB I just inherited this 225 machine. It runs and welds great. My question concerns the fact that when the machine is idling, and the ground clamp comes in contact with the metal hanger the lead is wrapped around it causes arcing between the bracket and the ground clamp. Is this normal? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Strange arcing

The bracket shouldn't be seeing current. You should be able to touch the work clamp to the welder or the frame without it arcing. Either something isn't isolated between the power source and frame or the electrode lead has bad insulation.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

thanks, that's what I thought, the work and electrode leads are in wonderful shape. should I start my search at their connections to the machine? I can't think of anywhere else there might be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mw2158 View Post
    thanks, that's what I thought, the work and electrode leads are in wonderful shape. should I start my search at their connections to the machine? I can't think of anywhere else there might be a problem.
    I'm certainly not an expert, and haven't been inside that model, but I think tracing the path from the electrode connections backwards makes sense. Usually the connections/fittings will have some sort of insulating plate/grommet and if that is bad, or something got wedged in between it could be passing current to the frame.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Check the connections and also try removing the stinger lead from the bracket and try again. Even though they look good the leads might have some bare spots and make contact with the bracket.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you, as usual it's almost always something simple. The offset "eye lug" that connects the stinger lead to the welder was put on upside down, and just barley contacting the body of the welder. Removed it turned it over, problem solved. Thanks again for the advice.

7. Likes G-ManBart, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Check the connections and also try removing the stinger lead from the bracket and try again. Even though they look good the leads might have some bare spots and make contact with the bracket.
    Yep. Remove the stinger. Start simple.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that you stinger sticking up in the photo?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to both of you, as usual it's almost always something simple. The offset "eye lug" that connects the stinger lead to the welder was put on upside down, and just barley contacting the body of the welder. Removed it turned it over, problem solved. Thanks again for the advice.
    That's the kind of fix I like!

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a soft spot for those machines, that was just like the first new one I ever owned. Bought in '87 to moonlight doing irrigation work, in those days we ran 1/8" wall pipe at pump and pivot tie ins and that poor little machine ran 10 hours a day running the old Airco white 5/32" 6011.
    I was working 4 10's for the man and would work the other three days for a local irrigation outfit on a piecework basis. A year later I was a full Contractor with an SA200. I had a skid in my pickup that used 4 camper jacks to lift it out so I could drive to the regular job without making anybody suspicious.
    Mine lived on 'til the mid 90's when one of the guys backed a 55 ton RT crane over the top of it. OOPS.

Post Thanks / Like

it is, but not in contact with anything, I solved the problem. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I just love this machine, it runs like new. Unfortunately, it will in all probability it will see very little use as I don't really have a use for it other than an occasional repair at my brothers farm.