+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum spool gun experience (SM200N) with Power I-MIG 200 or other mig welders?

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum spool gun experience (SM200N) with Power I-MIG 200 or other mig welders?

Hey all. DIY weldor here! I'm thinking of purchasing the Everlast SM200N spool gun so I can learn to weld aluminum (e.g., up to 1/8" thick). I previously purchased a Power I-MIG 200 about 7 years ago and I love it! I've flux-core, mig, and stick welded with this affordable bad boy, up to 3/8" steel with no problems whatsover. It's got a beautiful arc, when you are mig welding! Anyway, so now I'm looking forward to learning as a newbie to use a spool gun and weld aluminum for the first time. I guess I can check Jody's generic vids on weldingtipsandtricks, but just thought I would check here too if anyone has direct experience that they can share with using the SM200N or similar spool gun, and perhaps, project photos, tips, etcetera (don't know why I spelled out etc. ) As an aside, my first project is for a buddy who likes to tinker with bicycle accessories and has an idea for a custom dog trailer for his little benji terrier pooch. He wants a primarily dog hauling trailer that he can link to the back wheel of his mountain bike, but he does not like anything he's found. So he's thinking of designing a prototype that can hold maybe up to 40 lbs -- so this potentially could be a fun prototype project for me to build for his pooch.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum spool gun experience (SM200N) with Power I-MIG 200 or other mig welders?

Keep in mind that spool gun operation is designed for thicker materials, and that the range of materials that you can weld with the 200 can be limited. In fact, you would be limited to .035" wire, and probably between 1/8 and 3/16" (possibly 1/4") material for best results.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

3. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Aluminum spool gun experience (SM200N) with Power I-MIG 200 or other mig welders?

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Keep in mind that spool gun operation is designed for thicker materials, and that the range of materials that you can weld with the 200 can be limited. In fact, you would be limited to .035" wire, and probably between 1/8 and 3/16" (possibly 1/4") material for best results.
    Thanks for the confirmation -- good to know that I can weld 1/8" and a little thicker. That's what I'm focusing on for the rest of this year.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist