Thread: Source for an accesories cross refernce? Miller TIG Pedals/Dialarc 250 HF

Post Thanks / Like

Source for an accesories cross refernce? Miller TIG Pedals/Dialarc 250 HF

I have a Dailarc 250HF and thought that the pedal I had was the correct one, but it does not behave reliably or consistently. Edit: Serial number is KA757004. Not sure where the factory Serial is, took that number off a label on the front panel. Does not get through the Miller Welds website search for manuals.

The Pedal I have is marked as a RFG-23AG, I bought it used, and have finally accumulated the parts to put it to reasonable enough use.

Light off was inconsistent, and the foot control appeared to be wired backwards, so I swapped the wires around from the terminals they were on, per the wiring diagram info. Still not working like I figure it should. Arc control seems random, not really in line with the pedal position.

What I have not found, was the info that relates which pedal is supposed to go with which variant of the 250HF.

Anyone? Please and thank you!
    Last edited by Trevj; 08-25-2021 at 10:09 PM. Reason: added info/ser # etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Source for an accesories cross refernce? Miller TIG Pedals/Dialarc 250 HF

If you look at the manual that corresponds to your serial number they will have the pedal part number listed. I thought most Dialarc 250 HF used the RFC-23A pedal, but I may be wrong.

Those pedals are getting pretty old now and they do have some issues that will develop. The blade that presses the contactor switch will wear/bend/start to wiggle and cause inconsistent HF start. The contact brush that wipes on the resistor can wear down and not make smooth contact. The linkage itself will get sloppy allowing the brushes to move outward or the contactor switch to move inconsistently.

I would put a meter on the plug with three pins and see what values you get for min/max when the pedal is all the way up and all the way down.

I have a couple of RFC-23A pedals I'm going to sell if you can't get yours working.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, all good with that except... My serial number, as I have it, comes up as a no results found on the Miller site. The older copies of the manual (older, to me, not in reference to the serial number!) that I have, do not cover the assortment of pedals that are out there in this series. Actually, other than the wiring of the input circuit, on the wiring diagrams, they do not cover any info about the pedal. Nor did the parts lists.

If you can tell me where to look on the machine to find the factory serial number, that might be a help, as I have seen several serial numbers with a letter suffix, which did not get included on the inspection tag on the front plate of mine.
    Of the very limited amount of info I did find, it showed that there were several different resistor values for the pedal.

FWIW I have a three contact twist-lock plug for the Amperage control, and a two pin plug for the contacter. I switched the contacter receptacle on my machine to one that I could get a mating pair of, locally, though I used a 20A 115v plug/receptacle pair to avoid having anyone expect to get power from it. The 20A plug has one vertical, and one horizontal blade.

Anyone that can tell me the difference between a 23A and 23AG pedal would be very welcome!
    Last edited by Trevj; 08-25-2021 at 10:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trevj View Post
    Yeah, all good with that except... My serial number, as I have it, comes up as a no results found on the Miller site. The older copies of the manual (older, to me, not in reference to the serial number!) that I have, do not cover the assortment of pedals that are out there in this series. Actually, other than the wiring of the input circuit, on the wiring diagrams, they do not cover any info about the pedal. Nor did the parts lists.

If you can tell me where to look on the machine to find the factory serial number, that might be a help, as I have seen several serial numbers with a letter suffix, which did not get included on the inspection tag on the front plate of mine.
    Of the very limited amount of info I did find, it showed that there were several different resistor values for the pedal.

FWIW I have a three contact twist-lock plug for the Amperage control, and a two pin plug for the contacter. I switched the contacter receptacle on my machine to one that I could get a mating pair of, locally, though I used a 20A 115v plug/receptacle pair to avoid having anyone expect to get power from it. The 20A plug has one vertical, and one horizontal blade.

Anyone that can tell me the difference between a 23A and 23AG pedal would be very welcome!
    There are two ways to find the right manual. If you try entering the serial number on the left side where it says "Know your serial number?" and it comes back with no results you switch to the right side. There you just type in the model name, hit search and it will give you all of the Dialarc 250 HF manuals. Then you just scroll down until you find the manual with a serial number range for your machine.

You can also search for the pedal manual as well...several of them have the wiring for the different versions, but from what I've seen they all use the same color/letter code system.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O826G_MIL.pdf
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

5. Likes Trevj liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-ManBart View Post
    There are two ways to find the right manual. If you try entering the serial number on the left side where it says "Know your serial number?" and it comes back with no results you switch to the right side. There you just type in the model name, hit search and it will give you all of the Dialarc 250 HF manuals. Then you just scroll down until you find the manual with a serial number range for your machine.

You can also search for the pedal manual as well...several of them have the wiring for the different versions, but from what I've seen they all use the same color/letter code system.

https://www.millerwelds.com/files/ow.../O826G_MIL.pdf
    Bingo!

Sorry to say, it had not occurred to me to search Miller's archives using the pedal Model Number. DoH!

I see in the doc provided, that there are several missing figures, including my "AG" pedal. A quick search around the interwebs tuned up a older copy of the manual, O826B, which does. Per that document's parts list, the main difference between an RFC-3A, RFC-23A, and RFC-23AG, are in the connection wiring and plug changes, all have the same 135Watt, 15Ohm resistor.

In looking through the various manuals for the HF 250, I came across one, that actually had a "Options and accessories" page at the end of it, though sadly, I still am unable to find a match for what I have been led to believe is my serial number. Since the number I am using was taken off a hand written inspection tag that was stuck upon the front panel of the machine, I have to assume it is in error, else I have what is truly an orphan, not covered by what is in the files, save by similarity.

Sadly, not every version of the manual for this machine, has that particular page with the info about appropriate accessories, contained in it!

Was not looking forward to pulling the machine from it's hiding spot, as it means moving a fair pile of other stuff too. Ugh. Thanks for your help!