Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Quote Originally Posted by jniolon View Post
    Weldman, love your projects and your approach to one man operation. Most all I do is by myself and have to think up solutions for holding that other end and such... I applaud your resourcefullness !!
    Thanks,
    Your choices out here are either do it yourself, don't do it or move to more populated area if you need someone to help you. I can always count on myself to be there to figure a way out to make it into a one man show, might take longer but it's faster than depending on someone else if I had someone to help me. Plus I'm dirt poor and stingy with my money so I can't afford anyone

2. Likes 12V71, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's coming along great. Kudos, yeah and by your coordinates you are out there. lol
    Lincoln 330MPX
    Lincoln Power Mig 256
    Lincoln LN-25X Wire Feeder
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    Lincoln AC/DC 225
    ľ Ton of Torches OFC-A OFG-A
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    CAC-A
    Everlast 62i Plasma Cutter
    Ingersoll Rand T-30 14hp
    Instagram: #Freebird Welds

4. Likes _Weldman_, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    That's coming along great. Kudos, yeah and by your coordinates you are out there. lol
    Thanks,
    Yes we are out here a ways, not bad for buying sight unseen on eBay of all places to buy, I'm lucky like that. Been here 5 years started building last year, maybe one day move out this truck camper after 3 plus years.

6. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, Freebirdwelds liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Hole 1.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  552.1 KBName:  Hole 2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  166.1 KB

8. Likes Freebirdwelds, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

definitely like that backhoe!
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

10. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    definitely like that backhoe!
    Yes I do, I welded and plumbed in that hydraulic thumb which has made life so much easier now. Only bought that backhoe for $3000, put new hydraulic lines on it, new/used bucket and other odds and ends, still purring like a kitten at 54 years old.

Post Thanks / Like

oldie but a goodie
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

13. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    , still purring like a kitten at 54 years old.
    And,....not loaded down with all the electronics and software that won't let the owner work on his/her own equipment!! There is "supposed" to be legislation in progress or already in force to prevent the manufacturers like John Deere, Kubota, etc. doing that. (I'll believe it when I see it...)

15. Likes N2 Welding, _Weldman_, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  Upside down.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  154.4 KBName:  Wing 1.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  174.8 KBName:  Wing 2.jpg
Size:  145.4 KB

17. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    Like the portable welder too.

Dave

Name:  Upside down.jpg
Size:  154.4 KBName:  Wing 1.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  174.8 KBName:  Wing 2.jpg
Size:  145.4 KB

19. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Looks great
    Like the portable welder too.

Dave

It's what I used to build this whole structure. Sometimes pulling it up by a rope each pole to be welded and lower down as so. Only got about about 10 feet welding leads which equals about 8 feet of usable leads so I'm dragging this 50 lb box everywhere. When I'm done with this I'm giving it to the wife and upgrading, everything I have welded since 2016 has been done with that Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

It is the new field welder using fluxcore wire for small jobs.
    All most need is a low cost generator and a quality mig welder for field welding.
    I was big on stick welding but can see how you weld is the new way.

Dave

It's what I used to build this whole structure. Sometimes pulling it up by a rope each pole to be welded and lower down as so. Only got about about 10 feet welding leads which equals about 8 feet of usable leads so I'm dragging this 50 lb box everywhere. When I'm done with this I'm giving it to the wife and upgrading, everything I have welded since 2016 has been done with that Lincoln 210MP

22. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It is the new field welder using fluxcore wire for small jobs.
    All most need is a low cost generator and a quality mig welder for field welding.
    I was big on stick welding but can see how you weld is the new way.

Dave
    Honestly rather not flux core or stick weld due to fumes they put out. I have problem from burn pits in Iraq, but I'm outdoors welding in which I don't have choice in so I can't weld with C25 with the wind kicking up or weather messing with it somehow. After this, flux core will go in storage again.

Post Thanks / Like

I meant to comment about something that happened to me about a week or two ago but it kept slipping my mine. I was walking up to an AM PM Gas/Food mart and this guy was holding the door open and I was casually taking my time walking up to throw something away in the trash can outside before walking into the store to get a drink. This guy was standing there holding the door open for me ever so patiently and for some reason it made me think of you. The guy looked like you a little bit so I'm sure that's why but never the less it was nice of the guy to be so patient and I thanked him as I walked into the store. It's very rare that some one will wait for a while holding a door for a stranger with out even knowing them. Every one is always in a hurry these days including me. Don't get me wrong I'll hold the door for a lady or child or any one for that matter if they are close enough.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 07-01-2022 at 02:04 AM.

25. Likes 52 Ford, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

problem from burn pits in Iraq
    Whatcha mean? What were they burning?

Edit: if you don't mind my asking...

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I meant to comment about something that happened to me about a week or two ago but it kept slipping my mine. I was walking up to an AM PM Gas/Food mart and this guy was holding the door open and I was casually taking my time walking up to throw something away in the trash can outside before walking into the store to get a drink. This guy was standing there holding the door open for me ever so patiently and for some reason it made me think of you. The guy looked like you a little bit so I'm sure that's why but never the less it was nice of the guy to be so patient and I thanked him as I walked into the store. It's very rare that some one will wait for a while holding a door for a stranger with out even knowing them. Every one is always in a hurry these days including me. Don't get me wrong I'll hold the door for a lady or child or any one for that matter if they are close enough.
    Wasn't me cause I refuse to go to California no offense to you but I might get arrested crossing the border to the state with amount of firepower I travel with. I do open doors as you mention even for other guys and it took a bit for the wife to get use to since she is from Renton WA and never had a man open car door for her or door to business and such southern hospitality. It's how I explain it to her, it's a southern gentleman's thing since I grew up in Texas.

28. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Whatcha mean? What were they burning?

Edit: if you don't mind my asking...

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk
    Trash of any sorts, munitions, schit, bodies and whatever else ended up in them. Spent many times burning stirring schit in a chopped down barrel burning it with JP8 diesel for hours on end burning it down to ashes. Now I got super sensitive smell to everything, welding with flux core or stick causes my airways to close up on first whiff of it if I don't wear my mask underneath, never can own a new or close to new vehicles (must be about 10 years old) can't be around new carpet and list goes on.

Post Thanks / Like

All my welding steel was fluxcore or stick. Never used solid wire as not aloud in California for steel construction.

Did use solid wire for aluminum and stainless.

Dave

Honestly rather not flux core or stick weld due to fumes they put out. I have problem from burn pits in Iraq, but I'm outdoors welding in which I don't have choice in so I can't weld with C25 with the wind kicking up or weather messing with it somehow. After this, flux core will go in storage again.

31. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic for Weldman, grain bin house.
    Name:  1656811265753.png
Views: 253
Size:  535.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Here's a pic for Weldman, grain bin house.
    Name:  1656811265753.png
Views: 253
Size:  535.4 KB

Bit too fancy and too large for my taste. I notice no one hardly has imagination to turn them sideways and see what you can do with combining them to the ones standing upright. Adding straight walls/roof and such to round architecture doesn't blend well.

Post Thanks / Like

This one's not quite as fancy.....Oil field retirement home......

Name:  Oil Field retirement home.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  61.7 KB

35. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If those ones that 12v posted are 19 to 21' bins, that's really not going to give you a lot of useable living space, and they will be a bear to insulate against both the cold and heat. I can see one like Shortfuse posted getting sunk into the side of a hill, but a concrete structure wouldn't rust and be easier to insulate. Another issue with the straight wall veranda against the corrugated bins is sealing. As the bin heats and cools it expands and contracts, not to mention the shifting of the 4 different concrete pads. I have a walkway into an old feed bin and it always leaks during driving rains.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 07-03-2022 at 12:46 PM.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

37. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If those ones that 12v posted are 19 to 21' bins, that's really not going to give you a lot of useable living space, and they will be a bear to insulate against both the cold and heat. I can see one like Shortfuse posted getting sunk into the side of a hill, but a concrete structure wouldn't rust and be easier to insulate. Another issue with the straight wall veranda against the corrugated bins is sealing. As the bin heats and cools it expands and contracts, not to mention the shifting of the 4 different concrete pads. I have a walkway into an old feed bin and it always leaks during driving rains.

Not hard insulating these things if done right if one understands the basics of thermal bridging and know the options for insulating materials. I would say a inch or two of closed cell insulation followed by sprayed in rock wool insulation over that to break the thermal bridging, prevent condensation and insulate against sound. Really want to get creative add a layer of sound dampening vinyl and it's comfy with very quiet as I discovered in my solid fiberglass camper. One should use steel drywall framing to frame them out, though as whtbaron says I like to see how they sealed those straight walls along with the ceiling they butted up against it or did the notch them out and overlap the roof with a slight slope away...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I can see one like Shortfuse posted getting sunk into the side of a hill, but a concrete structure wouldn't rust and be easier to insulate.
    If you used an old crude oil or condensate tank, you could just skip the cleaning part and then it would be better for rust prevention......

40. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Side wings going up. Twelve feet radius using 1.5" square tubing 1/8" thick about 18' 10" each stick. Reason for two sticks per a radius ring is I will be burying the side wings under a foot of dirt sloping away from the structure.
    Name:  Radius pipe 4.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  144.0 KBName:  Radius pipe 1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  175.6 KBName:  Radius pipe 2.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  77.3 KBName:  Radius pipe 3.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  149.4 KB

42. Likes Lis2323, jniolon, whtbaron liked this post