+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Looks great
    but for weld shop clear span works the best as you never know the type of work you doing tomorrow.

Dave
    From outside pole to outside pole on the main atrium is 19’ I am limited to the constraints of the radius from the roofing materials. The grain bins had 9 sheets per a ring for 18’ diameter take half of that and you end up with four and half sheets which would be odd at least to me. So I made it even 5 which means I can stretch it out to 24’ maximum before metal starts kinking, which gives me a choice to provide a cap over the side walls/roof where they meet at the top. About the same with the side walls/roof except those were 6 sheets a ring for 18’ that can also be stretched out to 24’ so with 4 sheets I can get a 12’ span. That was a rough draft drawing I have posted for an idea of what it will look like more details will come up as I build more to be seen.

2. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John Baptist View Post
    Amazing design !!!!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Now they are plumbed straight for most part I need to backfill 75% of the hole and pack it in so I can fine tune the last bit when I put a header up. This is what I welded up to go on the backhoe bucket to pack the dirt in from scraps, 6 inch channel welded to 8 inch I beam.
    Name:  FA5C0E87-6CC7-4DB5-8EFC-5BA9B3D531A4.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  131.0 KBName:  D0E37154-CCD7-47C1-ACB9-1375581CC6C1.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  137.5 KBName:  6F8B592C-0329-4794-A85A-DE015192729E.jpg
Views: 1192
Size:  164.0 KBName:  F6430D3C-7AB7-46F1-90B3-88C2E95BB0F6.jpg
Views: 1202
Size:  169.6 KB

5. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There is free/low cost materials keeping the cost down.

The one item that I found is a monorail hoist 2 to 5 tons.

If forklift dies on bad day just use the electric hoist. Or some cases need 5 tons and forklift is 2 ton.

If you have employees the monorail saves money. Take Guest out for employees.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    From outside pole to outside pole on the main atrium is 19’ I am limited to the constraints of the radius from the roofing materials. The grain bins had 9 sheets per a ring for 18’ diameter take half of that and you end up with four and half sheets which would be odd at least to me. So I made it even 5 which means I can stretch it out to 24’ maximum before metal starts kinking, which gives me a choice to provide a cap over the side walls/roof where they meet at the top. About the same with the side walls/roof except those were 6 sheets a ring for 18’ that can also be stretched out to 24’ so with 4 sheets I can get a 12’ span. That was a rough draft drawing I have posted for an idea of what it will look like more details will come up as I build more to be seen.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 08-31-2021 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    There is free/low cost materials keeping the cost down.

The one item that I found is a monorail hoist 2 to 5 tons.

If forklift dies on bad day just use the electric hoist. Or some cases need 5 tons and forklift is 2 ton.

If you have employees the monorail saves money. Take Guest out for employees.

Dave
    I’m retired and this is all for me, I weld, rebuild whatever needs rebuilt gas/diesel/electric/propane and build things. If I want to pull the N14 out of my semi I can do it. I pulled the transmission and the rear diffs in a puddle of water with it raining and in the dark, I’m not doing that again I’m getting too old for this schit and it’s dangerous weight. Went from a 9 speed direct to a OD unit and went from 3:08 rears to 4:11. Look close you can see the water.
    Name:  1677FA3B-E21C-430F-8599-7A3E0555A604.jpg
Views: 1194
Size:  119.5 KBName:  CD3507D6-09A9-4951-AADE-A7EFEDCB5333.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  141.1 KBName:  2A4ABC82-606D-4D0B-98A3-5F6FF6FFF8C6.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  110.5 KBName:  D29F0063-EB03-4D23-B7A4-8DE8BA7E82AE.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  115.3 KB

8. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a 9spd, and really don't like it. I'm used to having those extra 4 gears.

10. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I have a 9spd, and really don't like it. I'm used to having those extra 4 gears.
    I’m only licensed to 55k on farmers tags as that’s the max till I need paperwork besides a CDL, insurance, registration and a MEC to move the rig, so I don’t need to row gears since I’m not 80k.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I dunno... 13 or 9, both have the same 5 gear in low range where it really matters, missing the half gear splits in high range is more a matter of patience on hills. Myself I never cared for the overdrive howl coming up the stick with a 13. Had 2 roached out Volvos with 425 Cats and 14609 9 speeds that handled 100K just fine, some parts of the hill you were just a little slower without the half gear split.
    My favorite heavy haul rig had a 10 speed with an air shift 4 speed married to the back. That one always had a perfect ratio and a 475 HP 12V71 engine.

13. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Defendant for my state.

HERE is a Excel work sheet for most work.
    Note column calculation may need three different formula.
    Very helpful but still use a engineer as a but cover.
    please post anywhere to help other .

Dave

I’m only licensed to 55k on farmers tags as that’s the max till I need paperwork besides a CDL, insurance, registration and a MEC to move the rig, so I don’t need to row gears since I’m not 80k.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    HF 170 welder
    HF 4x6 band saw
    South Bend 9N
    Mill
    B&D mag drill
    Victor torch

15. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like your neighbor just south has a pretty nice water impoundment. Is it lined? We have tin pole barns all over around here on the old coal strippins, they level a spot with a D9 drill 5' holes on 10' centers with a shot rig drop in 2"x30' drill steel in the holes. There are some pretty interesting ones that evolved over time with offices and break rooms. Scale shacks all wall papered with nude women.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMX Welder View Post
    Looks like your neighbor just south has a pretty nice water impoundment. Is it lined? We have tin pole barns all over around here on the old coal strippins, they level a spot with a D9 drill 5' holes on 10' centers with a shot rig drop in 2"x30' drill steel in the holes. There are some pretty interesting ones that evolved over time with offices and break rooms. Scale shacks all wall papered with nude women.
    No neighbors with water impoundments here, to which picture are you implying to? In fact I have no neighbors that live here unless you include the cows. Twenty five feet high pole barns, I have to see that I wouldn’t go over 20’ on the walls here with 2 3/8” pipe here especially 10’ on the center. This structure is being built to take one in million chances of a F1 tornado, wildfire and once in a century snow storm.

Post Thanks / Like

In California to build pole barns it just Contractor B need or welding license.
    I have in life built a few pole barns back 1970's with father.

Today retired it was first disabled by my doctor 2 years ago.

I had plan retirement in my 70's.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

No neighbors with water impoundments here, to which picture are you implying to? In fact I have no neighbors that live here unless you include the cows. Twenty five feet high pole barns, I have to see that I wouldn’t go over 20’ on the walls here with 2 3/8” pipe here especially 10’ on the center. This structure is being built to take one in million chances of a F1 tornado, wildfire and once in a century snow storm.
    Just looking at the map, looks like a pretty big pond 1500 feet south of cherry creek rd. and wild horse ln. I love your design looks stout and will shed snow well. There is still a lot of the old tin pole barns standing around here from the 60's and 70's. 8" channel between the 10' centers. there gettin harder to find with scrap being high, still see a lot down east PA in the hard coal country. I saw some while in Texas last year in the middle of tornado country that were wood framed on 12' centers and the spanned the 12' with 2x4's put 3 trusses on top of each post then used 2x10 purlins. I was told that was pretty common there. seemed like a lot of wasted 2x10x12's to me. You should contact Mother earth news, They may want to do a story on your recycled masterpiece?
    Map also shows a spring about 2500' north of wild horse Ln.
    Last edited by BMX Welder; 09-02-2021 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMX Welder View Post
    Just looking at the map, looks like a pretty big pond 1500 feet south of cherry creek rd. and wild horse ln. I love your design looks stout and will shed snow well. There is still a lot of the old tin pole barns standing around here from the 60's and 70's. 8" channel between the 10' centers. there gettin harder to find with scrap being high, still see a lot down east PA in the hard coal country. I saw some while in Texas last year in the middle of tornado country that were wood framed on 12' centers and the spanned the 12' with 2x4's put 3 trusses on top of each post then used 2x10 purlins. I was told that was pretty common there. seemed like a lot of wasted 2x10x12's to me. You should contact Mother earth news, They may want to do a story on your recycled masterpiece?
    Map also shows a spring about 2500' north of wild horse Ln.
    Ah you looked up the grid coordinates, that’s just a reference point of where I live I don’t live anywhere near there it’s off by 20 to 30 miles, just as if I were to say Miles City MT is where I live but that’s just the address I have assigned to our property and where I live as the crow flies would be 40 miles south from Miles City. I used to live in Texas and understand how they build though varies on what side of the state you are talking about I’m pretty sure eastern Texas is where you are referring to. Where I was born and raised in Texas it’s mostly wood too and the people with money it’s red oxide iron steel buildings, built for hurricanes and tornadoes. Reason it’s common is there is a lot of timber on that side of Texas so they use what’s around.
    According to my mathematics due to the radius of the metal it has the angle of a 7 on 12 roof so yes it will shed snow very well, cut the summer storms wind perfectly and won’t have to worry about hail like we got last year of 2 inches in diameter.
    Not much for being known by the media or any articles on this, this on this forum is about as far as I go with people knowing about it along with whoever wants to come see it I’m not going to reach out and ask.
    Last edited by _Weldman_; 09-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah you looked up the grid coordinates, that’s just a reference point of where I live I don’t live anywhere near there it’s off by 20 to 30 miles, just as if I were to say Miles City MT is where I live but that’s just the address I have assigned to our property and where I live as the crow flies would be 40 miles south from Miles City. I used to live in Texas and understand how they build though varies on what side of the state you are talking about I’m pretty sure eastern Texas is where you are referring to. Where I was born and raised in Texas it’s mostly wood too and the people with money it’s red oxide iron steel buildings, built for hurricanes and tornadoes. Reason it’s common is there is a lot of timber on that side of Texas so they use what’s around.
    According to my mathematics due to the radius of the metal it has the angle of a 7 on 12 roof so yes it will shed snow very well, cut the summer storms wind perfectly and won’t have to worry about hail like we got last year of 2 inches in diameter.
    Not much for being known by the media or any articles on this, this on this forum is about as far as I go with people knowing about it along with whoever wants to come see it I’m not going to reach out and ask.
    I used to deer hunt south of Miles City along the Tongue River back in the 90s. Have an old time friend that lives in Miles City.
    Last edited by milomilo; 09-02-2021 at 10:28 PM.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

22. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    I used to deer hunt south of Miles City along the Tongue River back in the 90s. Have an old time friend that lives in Miles City.
    From what I’m seeing and hearing not much has changed since the 90’s almost the 80’s out here.

Post Thanks / Like

Got all poles down for main atrium of the structure now just need to cut them even at the top which will be easy with string and pocket level. Then cut saddles to tie the row of poles together, I will saddle a 4.5” pole on top, after that I will tie both rows together with 2.875” poles 8’ O.C.. Name:  9B3B18A6-503C-42D5-B9D8-B04224A536FE.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  116.0 KBName:  87F6BE5E-F914-47EE-9AA2-575FC10D4289.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  114.7 KB

25. Likes 12V71, VaughnT, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good, cheap way to level all your top cuts is with a water level (google it or youtube it...). Mark the cut location on the first post. Get a long, clear water tube, fill it with water so that you can extend it from the first cut mark to the next post and subsequent posts. All the new cut marks will be level with the first. To keep from having to use an extremely long clear tube, once you have a one or two top cut marks located, just move the leveling tube to other nearby posts, using their marks to move along.

27. Likes VaughnT, _Weldman_, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    A good, cheap way to level all your top cuts is with a water level (google it or youtube it...). Mark the cut location on the first post. Get a long, clear water tube, fill it with water so that you can extend it from the first cut mark to the next post and subsequent posts. All the new cut marks will be level with the first. To keep from having to use an extremely long clear tube, once you have a one or two top cut marks located, just move the leveling tube to other nearby posts, using their marks to move along.
    If you look closely at the first picture of the last two I posted I use one it’s on the saw horse and I use windshield washer fluid in it.

29. Likes 12V71, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great! (I didn't see it in the pictures)

31. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    Great! (I didn't see it in the pictures)
    It’s okay, people usually focus on the main objective in a picture and don’t see the details around it that might hold signs of other things whether good or bad. It’s how I have dug the whole pad out and trenches within a 1\8 of an inch per a foot drop away from the pad to drain away. I enjoy sometimes putting things out of order to see if anyone notice like in this post, try and find it. One of my favorite games to play when entering a structure is seeing if I can find at least 10 things different then rest of the place, water leaks, out of pattern building, missing pieces, extra windows when the elevator only goes so many floors…details details details it’s what kept me alive in war.

33. Likes 12V71, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready for putting top rail on the posts got all 10 saddled and ready, first had to weld some chain off points on the front bucket on my backhoe for an extension lift.Name:  A5072A33-6BA0-4742-B1B3-2ABC715DD862.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  94.8 KBName:  1CBD3CE4-AB5D-479F-B265-A0AF290B8AF2.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  157.0 KBName:  F477F111-CF2C-4158-9801-3451EECA38E9.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  115.9 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Welds look good, but I was taught to wrap the corners when welding a doubler plate.
    Mike

36. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting ready for putting top rail on the posts got all 10 saddled and ready, first had to weld some chain off points on the front bucket on my backhoe for an extension lift.Name:  A5072A33-6BA0-4742-B1B3-2ABC715DD862.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  94.8 KBName:  1CBD3CE4-AB5D-479F-B265-A0AF290B8AF2.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  157.0 KBName:  F477F111-CF2C-4158-9801-3451EECA38E9.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  115.9 KB
    I reinfforced the top of my old IH M tractor bucket with a full length of 4" channel skip welded to the bucket, then add chain hooks to the channel. Made it nice and stiff. Use what you got.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by leightrepairs View Post
    Welds look good, but I was taught to wrap the corners when welding a doubler plate.

Guess next time I break the welder out I will do just that, thanks for the advice!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist