+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I was watching a show a couple of days ago about a guy who maintains bears in the mammoth lakes area and then another show that talked about surviving bear attacks. You can’t be to carefull in bear country is my take from watching those shows. Having both a side arm and bear spray can be the difference in life and death. The training facility they visited Has an RC dummy bear and it showed just how fast the bears can be. Frighteningly fast. You could be getting attacked before you even realized you were anywhere near a bear. Keep your witts about you and stay safe. I like the coping tricks you showed. Thumbs up.
    I'm going to lay this out there so people have a reference point of who is building this pole barn, combat vet of Afghan and Iraq wars served as infantry for all my years in there, got bored one time and decided to enter a contest by myself that called for teams to wrestle 3 gators. One was in a pool another was in mud pit and last one was in a culvert, almost lost two fingers to it but that's just on the surface of me which will take a bit to get through. So black bears don't scare me and will notice them before they get near if I don't hear them I more likely will smell their stinky arse or see them, I might of left the service but my mission never ended only changed and my head is on a swivel.
    Thanks I am showing what I have self learned just as everything one sees of here I learned it myself, welding, diesel mechanic and list goes on which I like to show to help others who might encounter same problem and show it can be done with basic tools with one person. Don't know it all still learning and will never stop learning.

2. Likes 12V71, mcspeed, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robson1015 View Post
    Great thread !!- keep the pics coming- very good work...

Thanks, will do as I don't want to post too many of every step.

4. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  27D4A9C2-532D-4CA9-A2C7-AAB23CAD594B.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  151.7 KB

6. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    I'm going to lay this out there so people have a reference point of who is building this pole barn, combat vet of Afghan and Iraq wars served as infantry for all my years in there, got bored one time and decided to enter a contest by myself that called for teams to wrestle 3 gators. One was in a pool another was in mud pit and last one was in a culvert, almost lost two fingers to it but that's just on the surface of me which will take a bit to get through. So black bears don't scare me and will notice them before they get near if I don't hear them I more likely will smell their stinky arse or see them, I might of left the service but my mission never ended only changed and my head is on a swivel.
    Thanks I am showing what I have self learned just as everything one sees of here I learned it myself, welding, diesel mechanic and list goes on which I like to show to help others who might encounter same problem and show it can be done with basic tools with one person. Don't know it all still learning and will never stop learning.
    Had a close encounter with a blackie once that had my Heeler by the neck... Nearest weapon was a #2 square shovel, one good smack right down on his(?) noggin and the bear dropped the dog and did a burnout on the deck. After that I never went out without a good sized sidearm.

8. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Had a close encounter with a blackie once that had my Heeler by the neck... Nearest weapon was a #2 square shovel, one good smack right down on his(?) noggin and the bear dropped the dog and did a burnout on the deck. After that I never went out without a good sized sidearm.
    I got two things at all times, a 9mm and custom Buck knife 119, lets dance princess.

10. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the posts OP…keep them coming…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    Love the posts OP…keep them coming…

Thanks, they will as there is a few more months worth on this project. Just went and picked up a 150 gallon propane tank yesterday, what does this have to do with a pole barn, not with anything to do with the propane in it or the propane it can hold....stay tuned....

13. Likes mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Creative and impressive work _Weldman_ with a nice dose of ingenuity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcspeed View Post
    Creative and impressive work _Weldman_ with a nice dose of ingenuity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks I appreciate that, doing what I can with what I know!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't work at heights, scares the crap out of me. Hell, even when I go up on the roof, K'kins has to hold the ladder so I'm not too worried about it slipping. Wimps R Us

18. Likes _Weldman_, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I can't work at heights, scares the crap out of me. Hell, even when I go up on the roof, K'kins has to hold the ladder so I'm not too worried about it slipping. Wimps R Us

I use to be the kid you couldn't find unless you looked on the roof top or in the trees to find me, then again also use to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and helicopters in my military days. Dad had a 60' antennae for his CB radio, when they left us home alone we use to scaled it take our belts off sling it over the cables for guide wires and slide down the guide wires, fun times.

20. Likes N2 Welding, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When cell phone cost drop CB died.
    Back 1980's I use cb's on a construction site and we had to get off air for a rescue of a 10 year old in the Goff of Mexico. Now I was in Sanger California listing to this rescue the skip was up that day.

Dave

I use to be the kid you couldn't find unless you looked on the roof top or in the trees to find me, then again also use to jump out of perfectly good airplanes and helicopters in my military days. Dad had a 60' antennae for his CB radio, when they left us home alone we use to scaled it take our belts off sling it over the cables for guide wires and slide down the guide wires, fun times.

22. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    When cell phone cost drop CB died.
    Back 1980's I use cb's on a construction site and we had to get off air for a rescue of a 10 year old in the Goff of Mexico. Now I was in Sanger California listing to this rescue the skip was up that day.

Dave
    Which is why I am looking at this ARRL Technical license handbook, next on my list of things to get into. Need to finish up loading up my CDL mid next month and it's next to get.

Post Thanks / Like

Next step is poles to hold roof up, going up….
    Name:  29DB5B2B-740D-4B3C-87FE-DC9D23CF02C9.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  125.0 KB

25. Likes farmersammm, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like your design but curious what flux-core wire you're using? Just thinking if it's drill stem you'd want 7018 equivalent for any pipes that don't have lower support. Most of yours do though. Is the pipe magnetic, wondering if it experiences arc blow when welding? I once mistakenly welded a drill stem pipe in a rig mast on the night shift that the day shift had to cut out. The shop didn't have the best storage or labelling and I asked 1 of the laborers if he could cut me a piece of 4" pipe. I hadn't welded much magnetic drill stem so it never dawned on me why it welded a little odd. Welds looked pretty good using 3/16" 7018 though. Thankfully it was only 1 piece about 3' long that had to be cut out and replaced with structural pipe.

27. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you in mountains the cell phones may not work.
    At least you need to learn morse code today just a option.

If I was mountains I alway had CB and a 34 foot of wire for full wave antenna 📡.

Dave

Which is why I am looking at this ARRL Technical license handbook, next on my list of things to get into. Need to finish up loading up my CDL mid next month and it's next to get.

29. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Your building is looking great too.

Dave

Next step is poles to hold roof up, going up….
    Name:  29DB5B2B-740D-4B3C-87FE-DC9D23CF02C9.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  125.0 KB
    Last edited by smithdoor; 10-01-2021 at 03:58 PM.

31. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A person today may LEARN Morse Code, but probably only one in a million can READ it......

33. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree
    I can still read morse code with cheat sheet.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    A person today may LEARN Morse Code, but probably only one in a million can READ it......

35. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    Like your design but curious what flux-core wire you're using? Just thinking if it's drill stem you'd want 7018 equivalent for any pipes that don't have lower support. Most of yours do though. Is the pipe magnetic, wondering if it experiences arc blow when welding? I once mistakenly welded a drill stem pipe in a rig mast on the night shift that the day shift had to cut out. The shop didn't have the best storage or labelling and I asked 1 of the laborers if he could cut me a piece of 4" pipe. I hadn't welded much magnetic drill stem so it never dawned on me why it welded a little odd. Welds looked pretty good using 3/16" 7018 though. Thankfully it was only 1 piece about 3' long that had to be cut out and replaced with structural pipe.

Thanks,
    Running E71T-11 Lincolns NR211 and it goes on well. Little trick on welding magnetic pipe is to wrap the ground lead as many times around it and helps pull the magnetism away from the welding area. I'm running .035 in some areas and sometimes .045.

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like you in mountains the cell phones may not work.

If I was mountains I alway had CB and a 34 foot of wire for full wave antenna .

Dave
    Thanks, it's getting there going up with the poles for the roof tomorrow then onto the braces for those. We have hills and we live about 1000 ft higher than the nearest town with a ridge that goes up on the property which I'm typing this on a cell phone booster I put 30' plus ft in the air in a tree. Without it you don't get cell phone signal here not for another 50 miles till you get near town, there is no telephone or cable running here, no power, lines, no water lines, and no city sewage, all 100% off grid living here with nearest neighbor 3 miles away.

38. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds familiar. My closest town is only 60 people so the chances of services ever improving here are next to nil. I'm currently awaiting a new Starlink satellite dish so hopefully that will give me better internet and the plan is to put a cell phone booster in each of my 3 buildings I'm using.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

40. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

whtbaron and Weldman....

What kind of cell phone boosters are you guys using? I live in a similar situation...cell towers are behind a high hill and signals are blocked. I have to go about 3 miles away to get a signal.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, it's getting there going up with the poles for the roof tomorrow then onto the braces for those. We have hills and we live about 1000 ft higher than the nearest town with a ridge that goes up on the property which I'm typing this on a cell phone booster I put 30' plus ft in the air in a tree. Without it you don't get cell phone signal here not for another 50 miles till you get near town, there is no telephone or cable running here, no power, lines, no water lines, and no city sewage, all 100% off grid living here with nearest neighbor 3 miles away.
    At least cleaning the bathroom is easy

Name:  2b0e580bfcfb0e6dc9f05a8398629ee5.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  113.2 KB

43. Likes jniolon, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    At least cleaning the bathroom is easy
    And,,,be sure to wear your safety glasses and KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED AT ALL TIMES!!!!!!!!!

45. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist