+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Operation: Pole barn/shop

Starting my own thread on my pole barn/shop. Mind you before one thinks just rent this to do this or contract this out for this or call in a cement truck it’s not happening out here due to topography, distance from town, limited resources in town, time constraints and I live off grid. No running water here, power from solar or genset when welding and living in a truck camper doing this. Temperatures have swung from -40 to 112 degrees. Mail doesn’t even run here but 3 days a week if that.
    This is my first build on this magnitude of size of project and I’m open for suggestions, facts and opinions. The build will be 43’ wide 32’ deep and is built from parameters of the materials on hand I got for free, only cost me hotel fees, diesel and time. Going to be a monitor type barn/shop built from drill stem/pipe for the framing 4.5” for main atrium, 2.875” for the side wings, and using galvanized 20 gauge grain bin tin from 18’ diameter bins for the roof/side walls and regular 26 gauge galvanized sheets for front and back walls.
    The ground is not flat here and is so steep I can’t even turn a semi with a 48’ trailer around without scraping, high centering or just getting stuck, need a 6x6 out here.
    First up is digging a flat spot, no flat spots on top of hills and no hills in right spot on proximation for layout, blocking northern winds, ability to drive up, distance from the road, distance from where house will be built and direction I need to face the structure so digging into a hill it is.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Here is the pads the poles will be welded to. Took salt lick tubs mixed (3) 60 lbs of concrete in it, dropped two layers of remesh to get 2 x 2 which gives me 6 inch by 22 inch reinforced pad to weld the poles to, I sunk custom made plates from 6 inch channel iron with rebar legs welded on to to anchor in the concrete also. After I set them in the trench I cut a slit on the tubs to drain water from the pads. These will be for the main atrium only the side wings will get smaller pads to sit on.

Post Thanks / Like

After those dried for 30 days not of my doing to wait that long but works out to cure the concrete it was time to weld the poles on. Mind you these are welded on to prevent pole from slipping off the pad and I can’t hold a 20 plus feet pole weighing in at 11.6# per foot pipe as I brace it by myself. Used the I beam as a way to make the pole sit perpendicular to the concrete pad to weld to for a perfect 90 degree fitting, also when I welded the pipe to the channel I left a quarter inch unwelded so any condensation or moisture can drain out the bottom of the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

You are an army of 1

Looks good.

Be careful.
    Miller 211
    Hypertherm PM 45
    1961 Lincoln Idealarc 250
    HTP 221

True Wisdom only comes from Pain.

5. Likes _Weldman_, 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    You are an army of 1

Looks good.

Be careful.
    Thanks, it’s funny you say that I am combat vet, ex infantry. Wife helps where she can too but for most part I try to keep her out of harms way.

7. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Up we go!Name:  DFB658D4-35D9-4BEF-87ED-8A30FE640C74.jpg
Views: 4348
Size:  118.4 KBName:  74C66F46-C202-4C40-8BE1-B814ADBAA171.jpeg
Views: 4356
Size:  483.4 KBName:  2477B9C0-7701-4E0D-BA90-8B574B2981C1.jpg
Views: 4362
Size:  167.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Thanks, it’s funny you say that I am combat vet, ex infantry. Wife helps where she can too but for most part I try to keep her out of harms way.
    Nice looking land. What state are you in?
    Chris
    Auction Addict

10. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A pole barn is great 👍for a weld shop. 1,200 sqft is good size too. A good evaporator cooler on wheels 😎 will keep cool.
    For heat a good generator keep warm and low in cost.

Dave

Starting my own thread on my pole barn/shop. Mind you before one thinks just rent this to do this or contract this out for this or call in a cement truck it’s not happening out here due to topography, distance from town, limited resources in town, time constraints and I live off grid. No running water here, power from solar or genset when welding and living in a truck camper doing this. Temperatures have swung from -40 to 112 degrees. Mail doesn’t even run here but 3 days a week if that.
    This is my first build on this magnitude of size of project and I’m open for suggestions, facts and opinions. The build will be 43’ wide 32’ deep and is built from parameters of the materials on hand I got for free, only cost me hotel fees, diesel and time. Going to be a monitor type barn/shop built from drill stem/pipe for the framing 4.5” for main atrium, 2.875” for the side wings, and using galvanized 20 gauge grain bin tin from 18’ diameter bins for the roof/side walls and regular 26 gauge galvanized sheets for front and back walls.
    The ground is not flat here and is so steep I can’t even turn a semi with a 48’ trailer around without scraping, high centering or just getting stuck, need a 6x6 out here.
    First up is digging a flat spot, no flat spots on top of hills and no hills in right spot on proximation for layout, blocking northern winds, ability to drive up, distance from the road, distance from where house will be built and direction I need to face the structure so digging into a hill it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    Nice looking land. What state are you in?
    Thanks, I’m about 340 miles north of you in Montana over near Colstrip. We love it so much after buying 30 acres we bought another 40, hopefully buy all the neighborhood around this piece to prevent anyone moving in next door. Don’t mind neighbors I do mind trailer trash dumping a trailer on the property then trashing the place and leaving in few years cause they can’t hack it here. I can count 5 places as such and one where someone thought they could build a Earthship with shovels some tires and all you can drink beer on the north side of a ridge that blocks the southern winter sun, phucking morons.

13. Likes VaughnT, John Baptist, snowbird, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A pole barn is great for a weld shop. 1,200 sqft is good size too. A good evaporator cooler on wheels  will keep cool.
    For heat a good generator keep warm and low in cost.

Dave
    Might actually bury the sides to help with just that since it’s tucked into a hillside and the tin is 20 gauge and round it could hold the weight at least about 6 inches with some insulation. No humidity so evaporator cooler will work perfect.

15. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I’m about 340 miles north of you in Montana over near Colstrip. We love it so much after buying 30 acres we bought another 40, hopefully buy all the neighborhood around this piece to prevent anyone moving in next door. Don’t mind neighbors I do mind trailer trash dumping a trailer on the property then trashing the place and leaving in few years cause they can’t hack it here. I can count 5 places as such and one where someone thought they could build a Earthship with shovels some tires and all you can drink beer on the north side of a ridge that blocks the southern winter sun, phucking morons.
    It did look like the right species of trees for MT. We have lived in Billings and my missus was born and raised in Billings. You are right about expanding your land. Helping my son put up a 30x60x12 shop about 30 miles from me. Built a couple shops on my place back in mid 2008. Worked mostly alone on them. Slow, but doable.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

17. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist, 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

what a bunch of work. i met a const/job supervisor, and got to be friendly - we stay in contact. he builds his shop first, then lives in it for a couple/few yrs while he builds his
    a very well built house, which he lives it till the time/market is right, then he sells, and starts over. his wife is a real estate agent, so the two make a food team. he's in his 3rd or 4th house now, which will be his last. ur case, sounds like this is where u wanna stay, besides, the gov is compfortable w/ trained combative survival skilled x military living off grid in secluded wooded areas. i remeber u takin the material down. lookin at it, i thought might have way walls. i guess ill have to wait and see.
    Last edited by 123weld; 08-29-2021 at 09:06 PM.

19. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My last shop was a pole barn 20ft x 80ft. Did have 3 sides the other side was open so could be used for larger projects.
    I live California most of year the days are sunny.
    The machine shop was in different building insulation for year around uses.

Dave

21. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to add, the height on the main opening will be 15’ give or take few inches and the roof will peak out to 24’ give or take a inch all based on how much rock I put down. Have a rock quarry within a mile I can drive my backhoe to and walk back and get my grain truck to load up for the price of straightening the owner’s property out which I’m the only one with access to it. He doesn’t live there but I can come and go as I please and he doesn’t care. It’s the same rock I put in the trenches below the poles.
    I will put a slab down in the main atrium only also later on after the side wings are done which those will get just rock, be a nice 19’ x 32’ slab.
    Name:  DD6A4D3A-5BBA-4A85-B924-DC66AEBBC9B4.jpg
Views: 4246
Size:  107.0 KBName:  9981923F-B41F-4761-B63B-71DD6DF57815.jpg
Views: 4244
Size:  195.7 KBName:  34DDB89C-268F-41F9-8AC8-7B43F99CA1EC.jpg
Views: 4247
Size:  144.3 KB
    Last edited by _Weldman_; 08-30-2021 at 09:45 AM.

23. Likes farmersammm, scsmith42, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't see this when you started the thread. Absolutely excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The attached footings are a very good idea. It would be hard to plumb that stuff by yourself. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's thinking outside the box.

I don't know where your water table is, or whether water might percolate down through your backfill, but generally any time we put pipe below grade we make certain to do our best to seal the bottom. Water can come in through the bottom, and fill the pipe. Generally, not having to face your situation with mile long pipe, we just embed the lower part of the pipe in 8 sack concrete mix (waterproof). I'm not sure I'd leave any part of the base, where it meets the pad, unwelded. It will let water in.

25. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Water can always find it's way into things. Make sure you cut some holes or leave the bottom of the footing open somehow. You could stick a short piece of PVC thru the footing pad to insure drainage

27. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I didn't see this when you started the thread. Absolutely excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The attached footings are a very good idea. It would be hard to plumb that stuff by yourself. Excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's thinking outside the box.

I don't know where your water table is, or whether water might percolate down through your backfill, but generally any time we put pipe below grade we make certain to do our best to seal the bottom. Water can come in through the bottom, and fill the pipe. Generally, not having to face your situation with mile long pipe, we just embed the lower part of the pipe in 8 sack concrete mix (waterproof). I'm not sure I'd leave any part of the base, where it meets the pad, unwelded. It will let water in.
    There isn’t a water table here and if there is one it’s about 100 plus feet down since I am building on a hill that drains to a valley 150 ft away that then drains to a ravine that drops 40 to 75 feet in some areas and then that drains out to BLM land for now. If I seen water percolate into these trenches I wouldn’t be mad I would be as ecstatic as one finding oil on their property. We only get average 13 inches of rain a year and when it rains it’s a flash flood which works for me cause I will line the valley with pond liner then put a dam up across between it and the ravine. Then in the dam put a drain pipe that cuts through and will feed a grain bin in the ravine of about one ring tall 44 inches approximately and 18’ diameter with a roof on it that will net me 7500 gallons of water approximately. Here is an example of what I’m talking about.Name:  A1B54036-6E09-4A77-8D54-73A4FA9B5BDA.jpg
Views: 4213
Size:  95.2 KB
    As long as I get the base plumb the rest will follow upwards, I use the backhoe to hang it in the air with slight bit touching the ground and pull it around with a rake. When that’s done I set it all the way and double check the plumb which gives me within inch to half of a inch plumb of front to back looking at the pole and side to side. Anymore after I set it down I hook two poles together at the base and pull the third one straight, as for front to back I pry it with 6 ft bar against block of wood against the trench walls which is hard pan clay.

29. Likes farmersammm, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Water can always find it's way into things. Make sure you cut some holes or leave the bottom of the footing open somehow. You could stick a short piece of PVC thru the footing pad to insure drainage
    After everything is squared up I take a torch and cut the lick tubs a line from top to below the concrete then put several holes in the bottom for extra drainage.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess my thinkin' is way out of line We average 23" per year, in a normal year............this year it's been closer to 30" I think. Been a muddy mess, and it actually rained again today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I guess my thinkin' is way out of line We average 23" per year, in a normal year............this year it's been closer to 30" I think. Been a muddy mess, and it actually rained again today.
    Actually have pear cactus that grows here wildly it's so dry. Though I plan on digging a L shape trench to catch any water coming off the hill to not run under the walls with a berm that it will hit first.Name:  ED5C7308-55E7-48D7-9BD3-B251E8F3CDC3.jpg
Views: 4175
Size:  115.7 KB
    Last edited by _Weldman_; 08-30-2021 at 06:28 PM.

33. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    what a bunch of work. i met a const/job supervisor, and got to be friendly - we stay in contact. he builds his shop first, then lives in it for a couple/few yrs while he builds his
    a very well built house, which he lives it till the time/market is right, then he sells, and starts over. his wife is a real estate agent, so the two make a food team. he's in his 3rd or 4th house now, which will be his last. ur case, sounds like this is where u wanna stay, besides, the gov is compfortable w/ trained combative survival skilled x military living off grid in secluded wooded areas. i remeber u takin the material down. lookin at it, i thought might have way walls. i guess ill have to wait and see.
    This is how the structure will look like using the grain bin pieces as walls too.Name:  7A234663-338C-48E3-8BD0-40D2A8207DFC.jpg
Views: 4144
Size:  66.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Was getting building permits pretty straightforward?
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    Was getting building permits pretty straightforward?
    Building codes, there is none out here, you fail you pay the price of your own demise. Like the road going in town 50 miles of rock road and no speed limits but plenty sharp turns, free range animals, snow/ice or just mucky, go too fast and you will be in a ditch or ravine for few hours before someone finds you unless someone knows you are missing. Had a wildfire this summer within 10 miles of here no warning it was there headed this way possibly was going to hit here, no knock on the door no cell phone alerts only reason I knew was online webpage I check and send a drone up also to check.
    Literally on your own here.

37. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, John Baptist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is how the structure will look like using the grain bin pieces as walls too.Name:  7A234663-338C-48E3-8BD0-40D2A8207DFC.jpg
    Amazing design !!!!
    Lincwelder 180As
    Communists have the highest body count in history and yet they are all over TV and politics.

39. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great
    but for weld shop clear span works the best as you never know the type of work you doing tomorrow.

Dave

41. Likes _Weldman_, John Baptist liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist