Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Operation: Pole barn/shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Operation: Pole barn/shop

I see a few things in the video that I would do different. Weld some cleats as steps on the jib pole so I could climb it better. Rig up a rope & pulley so I could slide the panel along the top beam easier.
    AND since I fell off the loading auger of a John Deere combine (about 12') I would use some fall protection. I have been climbing towers for 35 years & that is the only time I have slipped, but it can happen no matter how agile you are!

2. Likes 52 Ford, _Weldman_, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    I see a few things in the video that I would do different. Weld some cleats as steps on the jib pole so I could climb it better. Rig up a rope & pulley so I could slide the panel along the top beam easier.
    AND since I fell off the loading auger of a John Deere combine (about 12') I would use some fall protection. I have been climbing towers for 35 years & that is the only time I have slipped, but it can happen no matter how agile you are!
    There's something ironworkers say...........It's not the height, it's the landing........or something like that. It's sorta silly not to take every measure to protect yourself. Nobody really cares if you were a hero when they're shoveling dirt in your face. Makes for good conversation at the dinner, but it's forgotten once people go home..........meanwhile, you're pushin' up daisies.

4. Likes 52 Ford, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind working up high. Never had a harness or anything when I worked construction.

I still get up on my roof and walk it when I clean the gutters.

Recently a guy that worked with a friend of mine fell off of a 10 foot step ladder and ended up in a coma. That was about a month ago. I think they ended up taking him off life support a few weeks later. Pretty sure he passed away. I believe he had suffered serious brain damage. The bad part was, it wasn't his fault. Piece of duct work came loose and knocked the ladder out from under him. Apparently he was about to retire, too.

I'm not saying you aught to leave the house wrapped in bubble wrap, but working in a harness really isn't that bad. Especially a nice one. Heck - my tower harness has a built in Bosuns chair. I can just move my positioning lanyard to a different set of D rings and I get to sit down and still look like I'm working

It's REALLY not bad if you're used to wearing a toolbelt. Like I said, I worked construction, so I always had a toolbelt on and I ended up putting suspenders on my belt. Only thing different is the leg straps on the harness.

Sent from my Lincoln Buzzbox using Tapatalk

6. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was roof my self Saturday replacement a capacitor.
    I have worked all life on roof and something you do with caution ⚠️ .
    My doctors have told say off the roof and l let professionals ripped off do work.
    But the last guy do not finish the job because he was ill too.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I don't mind working up high. Never had a harness or anything when I worked construction.

I still get up on my roof and walk it when I clean the gutters.

Recently a guy that worked with a friend of mine fell off of a 10 foot step ladder and ended up in a coma. That was about a month ago. I think they ended up taking him off life support a few weeks later. Pretty sure he passed away. I believe he had suffered serious brain damage. The bad part was, it wasn't his fault. Piece of duct work came loose and knocked the ladder out from under him. Apparently he was about to retire, too.

I'm not saying you aught to leave the house wrapped in bubble wrap, but working in a harness really isn't that bad. Especially a nice one. Heck - my tower harness has a built in Bosuns chair. I can just move my positioning lanyard to a different set of D rings and I get to sit down and still look like I'm working

It's REALLY not bad if you're used to wearing a toolbelt. Like I said, I worked construction, so I always had a toolbelt on and I ended up putting suspenders on my belt. Only thing different is the leg straps on the harness.

Post Thanks / Like

Bet you wish you would have made the boom a foot longer. When I was your age I walked steel beams a few stories up, walked trusses and and such. Back the I was 6' 2" and 170 lbs. I knew the risks and was always aware of the skills I had for when and how I would react. Never used a harness only because they can restrict your reach and balance. Never fell in all those years. I did use a large knotted rope when doing a 6/12 roof once. Rode street bikes for 40 years and quit as I knew my reflexes were deteriorating. All about knowing your limits. I'm sure you know the risks and your capabilities as well. Enjoying your shop build a lot.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

9. Likes 52 Ford, _Weldman_, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

All it is, is a 20' piece of 8 inch junior beam that I set in the bucket ran two chains across where you see hooked and a third chained wrapped around the base around the bucket teeth with a binder to pull tension on the two other chains and prevent it from flipping over backwards. Not everyday I have it hooked up to the loader since the loader has to be used, just think I had my rinky dink backhoe running that boom at first.
    Ordered a harness almost 6 months ago, never made it here though got a refund then life happened, never reordered it, can't just go in town and buy one either. It's like trying to order pair of boots without trying them on or knowing the size you wear, if someone could point me in the right direction that would be helpful. I'm 6' 130 lbs 32 inch inseam, 30 inch waist with 38-40 inch chest, need something that if I weld with it on doesn't catch fire.

Post Thanks / Like

Cadillac is an ExoFit. That is what most tower guys use. Very adjustable & comfortable to wear. Elk River makes some good harnesses also.

When I am welding on towers I use a cheap nylon body harness for fall protection & a leather linesman belt (customized with a butt strap) & a chain type rebar hook for positioning.

12. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The I beam you see will be what the door will hang off of, will be going with hydraulic ram door that swings upwards to shove snow away in the winter. It’s just sitting up there to be welded later, but will serve as a way to transition the wall above it over the door. I even welded the caps on the pipes to keep weather and animals out with small gap at bottom for any condensation to drip out. All 18 gauge sheets on the overhang ring on both ends.
    Thought about putting a small deck to lounge on over it to look out into the abyss over everything for miles…
    Name:  E9321B39-91D5-4213-917A-BC920D6F1BA8.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  169.9 KBName:  9A9BDBBF-EE4B-456F-8FBD-BFEBA79415A1.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  108.3 KBName:  40E80A58-70C9-466D-870C-36D27F8B45E8.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  97.3 KB

14. Likes whtbaron, N2 Welding, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Going with the rounded theme, you'll need a spiral staircase to the balcony... but having said that, don't do it unless you go large diameter. I have a friend with a really tight spiral staircase in his house and they never use it because the narrow steps in the center are death traps.
    Last edited by whtbaron; 05-08-2022 at 11:17 PM.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

16. Likes N2 Welding, 52 Ford, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Going with the rounded theme, you'll need a spiral staircase to the balcony... but having said that, don't do it unless you go large diameter. I have a friend with a really tight spiral staircase in his house and they never use it because the narrow steps in the center are death traps.
    Problem is the balcony would be over the garage door that opens upwards and blocking the side wings. Round seems to be a a powerful shape, namely the Euclidean eggs as will be incorporated into the roof design of my house to hold weight.
    Name:  Egg.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  55.1 KB

18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when pyramid power was a big thing and some of the hippies north of me were building houses that shape to tap into the secret powers. Guess they lost their connection to the extraterrestrials....

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

20. Likes 52 Ford, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember when pyramid power was a big thing and some of the hippies north of me were building houses that shape to tap into the secret powers. Guess they lost their connection to the extraterrestrials....
    LOL! You have all kinds of interesting folks up there.

HelenDeGenererosonites were on thing... but hippies building pyramids in the snow to gather power from aliens. Next, youre gonna be talking about the colony of Big Foots that's on the neighbors property.

By the way, Mythbusters did a Pyramid Power episode.

Edit: Big Feet? Big Foots?

Post Thanks / Like

I go by ones and zeros, not mythology, religion or ideological ideas when building a structure. This is based on isosceles triangles...
    Name:  Eucledean Egg.png
Views: 243
Size:  33.0 KB

23. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    LOL! You have all kinds of interesting folks up there.

HelenDeGenererosonites were on thing... but hippies building pyramids in the snow to gather power from aliens. Next, youre gonna be talking about the colony of Big Foots that's on the neighbors property.

By the way, Mythbusters did a Pyramid Power episode.

Edit: Big Feet? Big Foots?

Nah... Bigfoot likes mountainous terrain and lots of forest .... none of that around here. Maybe Weldman can keep an eye out for you...

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Nah... Bigfoot likes mountainous terrain and lots of forest .... none of that around here. Maybe Weldman can keep an eye out for you...
    Only hills and sparse forestry out here. Noticed Bigfoot only has been spotted in humid climates too, too dry here.

26. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bigfoot actually hates humidity it was 92 degrees here today finally got the central air hooked up this morning and now the power is out

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk

28. Likes whtbaron, 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL... now we've done it! Disturbed Bigfoot!

230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

30. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Still going...
    Up we go, 20’ sticks of 4 inch angle iron quarter inch thick. Going to support to quarter of a circle hoops that will be the side wings I need to roll with my pipe roller, also will give a flange for the grain bin sheets I’m bolting up there on top it all. Wasn’t enough surface area to weld the angle iron to the main poles and be strong enough, so I took 4 inch channel iron to straddle the 4.5 inch poles and welded those where the angle iron was going, then welded the angle to the channel iron. Will have about half inch offset that I can work with and iron out flat in the build.
    Name:  Angle iron 1.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  150.4 KBName:  Angle iron 2.jpg
Size:  129.1 KBName:  Angle iron 3.jpg
Size:  132.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Next up, time to sink these poles 4 ft in the ground to prevent frost upheaval for the side wings. Will look just like the main atrium when down and a pipe connects 5 of them on each side. Welded a pad on each of them to spread the load out in the concrete. Sunk each pole 7.5 inches deep in the bucket of concrete to give it support and a pad to sit on when buried.
    Name:  Side wing 1.jpg
Size:  123.9 KBName:  Side wing 2.jpg
Size:  121.3 KB

33. Likes 12V71, 52 Ford liked this post