+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tig Scratch Arc Question.

Post Thanks / Like

Tig Scratch Arc Question.

I have a Thermal Arc 95S tig welder that is "live" all the time. Is there a pedal that acts as a switch to turn the power to the electrode off?
    Last edited by rahtreelimbs; 08-28-2021 at 10:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tig Scratch Arc Question.

Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    I have a Thermal Arc 95S tig welder that is "live" all the time. Is there a pedal that acts as a switch to turn the power to the electrode off?
    I don't know that machine but it is an ARC (Stick) welder. You can use most ARC welders to TIG weld but you get a live electrode, scratch start and manual gas control.

There is no contactor and no gas solenoid.

Jack

3. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is the 95S a stick/lift-arc machine with a
    switch to choose between lift arc tig or stick?
    Miller a/c-d/c Thunderbolt XL
    Millermatic 180
    Purox O/A
    Smith Littletorch O/A
    Hobart Champion Elite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs View Post
    I don't know of any pedals that will break the arc but you might be able to make a simple pedal with a big switch. I would install it in one of the leads and just have a pedal that rocks so that you can step on one side so the torch is live then step on the other side to open the switch to kill the arc. It would be pretty easy to make the switch/ pedal or buy a switch.

Is there a reason you don't want the torch live all the time? With some practice you can kill the arc at the end of a weld without to many issues.

You can rock the cup back and "snap" out of the weld to kill the arc then get shielding back over the weld (the crater may need to be cleaned up a little).

If you have room at the end of the weld you can increase travel speed until you see the puddle "dry up" then snap out like the first way I listed.

If you can get a scrap of copper you can have it at the end of the weld and just move the arc to the copper. It can help keep you from leaving a crater with a little practice but also helps keep the crater shielded when you're pulling away from the bead.

You can also use run off tabs if welding toward an edge. Just continue the bead until you're off the main section you're welding on so that the bead is shielded while it cools a bit
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post

With some practice you can kill the arc at the end of a weld without to many issues.

You can rock the cup back and "snap" out of the weld to kill the arc then get shielding back over the weld (the crater may need to be cleaned up a little).

If you have room at the end of the weld you can increase travel speed until you see the puddle "dry up" then snap out like the first way I listed.
    u described that pretty good. i thought i remeber being just a pup from e. bay calif. , am i right? if so, how did u get all the way over there
    Last edited by 123weld; 08-29-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    u described that pretty good. i thought i remeber being just a pup from e. bay calif. , am i right? if so, how did u get all the way over there
    Well I was one of the younger active members here... but I don't think I can say that anymore. I've always been here in Jacksonville, maybe you saw some of my posts about shark fishing (I was always at the beach) and thought it was California?
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

rahtreelimbs, I looked at the Thermal Arc. Nice 110 volt rig. doesn't look like it has a switch for 2t 4t?

What I would do and as a habit , disconnect your ground or work lead whenever your not welding. That will prevent unwanted arcs.

Hey squirmy, is that what you call fishing in Jacksonville. If I remember, you were dragging them sharks out of the water bare handed by the tail. No?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Insaneride View Post

Hey squirmy, is that what you call fishing in Jacksonville. If I remember, you were dragging them sharks out of the water bare handed by the tail. No?
    Basically.. but I put a tail rope on the bigger fish It's all rod and reel to get it close enough for the rope though
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller Maxstar 161STH
    Miller AEAD200LE
    Hobart MIG
    Lincoln Idealarc 250

Post Thanks / Like

Basically.. but I put a tail rope on the bigger fish It's all rod and reel to get it close enough for the rope though
    Thats some badd @ss way of fishing. The biggest sharks I ever saw living in SoCal where about the size of cat. They had stripes like a tiger and we called them Tiger sharks. Not sure if that's the correct name but I stayed out of the water on those days.

rahtreelimbs, I have an LN22 that stays hot. It has an insulated holder (pipe) built into it to hold a live stinger. I hardly use it but my thought is to disconnect the ground when not welding as a short to the case would probably damage electronics. I would consider making an insulated torch and or insulated work clamp holder. Grey PVC pipe would be a good start. Grey PVC because I think it would last longer against UV rays.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I was one of the younger active members here... but I don't think I can say that anymore. I've always been here in Jacksonville, maybe you saw some of my posts about shark fishing (I was always at the beach) and thought it was California?
    that typically sounds like the type of mistake i'd make by associating something w/ it like that to remeber, however this time not. there was a kid near me, that was trying to learn to weld in his moms/parents garage in a cluttered city. i thought it was you. i do remeber ur name, but apparently its someone else, possibly another kid w/ an off the wall name , which may be why i got confused. i will look into ur shark catching threads. but for u guys in florida, id say more importantly u need to do something about them alligators. i think the sensible thing to do would be just start shooting them, they are a hazard/dangerous. i mean keep a few for the zoo/studies/etc., so they dont do extinct, but other than that, just get rid of them, and make some nice boots/purses while ur at it. . i did read a while back that that med research were thinking of using there blood to make vaccines (the real kind). reason being, they live in such dirty water/environment, and heal up pretty well when getting a lacerated injuries. i mean w/ that many living togather in a swamp, its only a matter of time before they get in a fight over some food, or ones girlfriiend, and w/ teeth like that, i can see how they can lose a leg/limb easily
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-02-2021 at 09:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest sharks I ever saw living in SoCal where about the size of cat. They had stripes like a tiger and we called them Tiger sharks. Not sure if that's the correct name but I stayed out of the water on those days.
    good to see u around insaneride. is gavins tahoe burn act smoking u out? i think them were leopard sharks, tiger sharks would eat u if they had a chance. do u remeber the "morey boogie board" of the 70's? i used to go to hunnington as a kid. one time either the beach or road/highway was closed, so my mom detoured us balboa. the water was exceptionaly warm and clear that day, and while waiting for wave on my boogie board, i looked down and could see silouette of three small sharks laying stationary on the floor below me, i think they were sand sharks
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-02-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thats how my past landlord used to get salmon. they come up the river to lay eggs, and take a wrong turn and go up a canal. then he jumps in the canal, and stirs up the water till its so murkey to where the fish cant breath. when the salmon come up to surface to get air, he grabs them by the gills, and pulls them onto the bank. there pretty good size. he freezes them and eats them. hes a total alcoholic, and will eat anything

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 123weld View Post
    good to see u around insaneride. is gavins tahoe burn act smoking u out? i think them were leopard sharks, tiger sharks would eat u if they had a chance. do u remeber the "morey boogie board" of the 70's? i used to go to hunnington as a kid. one time either the beach or road/highway was closed, so my mom detoured us balboa. the water was exceptionaly warm and clear that day, and while waiting for wave on my boogie board, i looked down and could see silouette of three small sharks laying stationary on the floor below me, i think they were sand sharks
    hi 123weld. the Tahoe Davis fire doesn't seem to be a problem, I think its blowing south. the Eldorado (Sacramento) smoke is choking me tho. skies have been cloudy for about six weeks. I thought everything in California would be burnt down by now.

I think those little sharks may have been called Thresher sharks and I do remember morey boogie boards. if I recall Balboa is near SanDiego?Huntington is nice but I lived next to El Porto in El Segundo. Surf was ok but some of the best waves with longest break was in San Onofre Carlsbad. Camp Pendelton has an awesome beach. you have to know or be a Marine to go there tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone, we are looking to hire a full time welder in our shop. Anyone interested? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Embassy Enclosures View Post
    Hi everyone, we are looking to hire a full time welder in our shop. Anyone interested? Thanks!
    Location, rate of pay, type of welding, bennefits, health insurance etc etc would all help out perspective candidates. Based off of your initial 1st post ever to welding web I venture to say you lack professionalism required to run a successful shop thus will get what you pay for if that. Good luck.

Name:  08ECE375-FA20-4C95-8612-F331D7A4BEF8.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  82.9 KB
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those little sharks may have been called Thresher sharks and I do remember morey boogie boards. if I recall Balboa is near SanDiego?Huntington is nice but I lived next to El Porto in El Segundo. Surf was ok but some of the best waves with longest break was in San Onofre Carlsbad. Camp Pendelton has an awesome beach. you have to know or be a Marine to go there tho.
    shark or guppie, ocean or lake, the summer JAWS came out, i was scared of the water. my mom would get pissed at us, because of it too. i wasnt the only one, that movie did no good for beach $/income that yr. now days, the movie probabaly wouldnt even phase a kid w/ all the video bs there used too
    Last edited by 123weld; 09-06-2021 at 04:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist