Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

Where do you guys buy/find/acquire steel tube/angle/bar/etc and electrodes most inexpensively?

Post Thanks / Like

Hot start is big for me as it greatly reduces the chance of getting porosity and just generally makes stick welding easier. A properly operating lift arc Tig function works great for most things. Problem is many manufacture's version of " lift arc" is more scratch start, which can lead to tungsten inclusion. Of course on aluminum ( which lower priced multiprocess machines aren't capable of Tig welding) HF is required. I believe most users would find mig or flux core welding a much more useable feature on lower cost machines. If one is looking to TIG weld a dedicated machine like the primeweld 225 is a better choice as it enables AC welding for aluminum and a few other applications. For TIG( especially on aluminum) some type of remote , whether fingertip or pedal, is almost a must.

Post Thanks / Like

I find the best way to buy steel, is to get it from industrial suppliers... but I'm buying it in 20 ft lengths which may be more than you want to stock at once. Around here the rod prices really don't vary that much... local welding suppliers, box stores... you might find deals on Amazon but beware that the cheap Chinese knockoffs aren't always the same as name brand even if they are imported from China. Guys that weld for a living will have favorite rods that they always gravitate to... I'm not that picky.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Hot start is big for me as it greatly reduces the chance of getting porosity and just generally makes stick welding easier. A properly operating lift arc Tig function works great for most things. Problem is many manufacture's version of " lift arc" is more scratch start, which can lead to tungsten inclusion. Of course on aluminum ( which lower priced multiprocess machines aren't capable of Tig welding) HF is required. I believe most users would find mig or flux core welding a much more useable feature on lower cost machines. If one is looking to TIG weld a dedicated machine like the primeweld 225 is a better choice as it enables AC welding for aluminum and a few other applications. For TIG( especially on aluminum) some type of remote , whether fingertip or pedal, is almost a must.
    Okay so hot start would be ideal as a beginner for me to have. I'm almost certain I won't be looking to weld aluminum for a long time and with the learning curve being more severe, along with added expense, I'll just avoid TIG considerations for now I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I find the best way to buy steel, is to get it from industrial suppliers... but I'm buying it in 20 ft lengths which may be more than you want to stock at once. Around here the rod prices really don't vary that much... local welding suppliers, box stores... you might find deals on Amazon but beware that the cheap Chinese knockoffs aren't always the same as name brand even if they are imported from China. Guys that weld for a living will have favorite rods that they always gravitate to... I'm not that picky.
    Industrial suppliers are places where steel supply places get their steel, aren't they? Isn't there a massive minimum order required to go along with that, or am I mistaken?

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on your area. Out here the guys I am buying from are building trailers and cattle equipment. They sell without minimum orders and will even cut the long bars once for free to get them in a pickup. Any more cuts I have to pay for. If your "industrial suppliers" are supplying ship yards, it will be a totally different story. Start phoning around.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Steel or other materials supply can be tricky. Minimum order usually applies to delivery or bigger outfits that mainly supply to smaller suppliers or large customers. It's one of those things that will probably require a fair amount of legwork or calling around to find a good supplier. Many fab or repair shops will sell material or order special items in with their order. Quite a few concrete and masonry retailers sell some steel and can order stuff as well. Might be worth stopping in and asking at local machine shops or small welding- repair outfits where they get materials.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you are not considering TIG, then you have lots of options. I have been quite satisfied with 160 amp class stick welder. I have never used a chinese machine, used prices around here rival new chinese machines. I have looking to buy a DV for my shop but do not want to pay near new price.

I have ESAB 160 and HTP 221 for stick welders. The ESAB 180 looks nice, though higher price then you may desire to pay.

You may want to call local fab shop to see if they will sell you metal.

Post Thanks / Like

Like whtbaron, I buy my steel stock from a local steel supplier, who sells to both industry and individual consumers. All their steel is warehoused, therefore it's really clean. I buy the 20' sticks and they cut it in half to fit my truck bed. They have never charged me for a cut and never had a minimum. The only time I get charged more for a cut is when I buy a size I very seldom use like 1" square mild steel. For those I just get a 10' piece and they, of course, charge more per foot. I would be dead before I ever used a 20' stick of 1" square!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HisWord1ST View Post
    Looks like it's a 4" jaw and he wants $200 for it...thanks for the info though!
    $200 for a 4" is way too expensive...offer him $100. For a 6" jaw vise, offer $150 and maybe go as high as $175.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    $200 for a 4" is way too expensive...offer him $100. For a 6" jaw vise, offer $150 and maybe go as high as $175.
    Prices on post vises have jumped dramatically in the past couple of years. Two years ago I could sell a 6" post vise for $250 and it would be gone in a day. That same vise is now $350-400. Anything 5" or bigger is getting hard to find.

I've had hundreds of anvils and post vises and I only wish I had saved them until now as I'd get at least twice as much for them....lol
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    Depends on your area. Out here the guys I am buying from are building trailers and cattle equipment. They sell without minimum orders and will even cut the long bars once for free to get them in a pickup. Any more cuts I have to pay for. If your "industrial suppliers" are supplying ship yards, it will be a totally different story. Start phoning around.
    Yeah, I'll definitely start making those calls! I've been looking into it a bit to try and find as much scrap free material as I can for practicing, and saw something saying the places that sell tractors can have metal pallets they need to get rid of...I'd imagine they'd just take them to scrap and get paid or that the manufacturers would take those metal pallets back but who knows?

Steel or other materials supply can be tricky. Minimum order usually applies to delivery or bigger outfits that mainly supply to smaller suppliers or large customers. It's one of those things that will probably require a fair amount of legwork or calling around to find a good supplier. Many fab or repair shops will sell material or order special items in with their order. Quite a few concrete and masonry retailers sell some steel and can order stuff as well. Might be worth stopping in and asking at local machine shops or small welding- repair outfits where they get materials.
    There are three places locally that are all listed as either steel supply or concrete masonry like you're saying here and also as welders...so I'll check them out to see if I can get a better grip on where to get anything around here.

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Since you are not considering TIG, then you have lots of options. I have been quite satisfied with 160 amp class stick welder. I have never used a chinese machine, used prices around here rival new chinese machines. I have looking to buy a DV for my shop but do not want to pay near new price.

I have ESAB 160 and HTP 221 for stick welders. The ESAB 180 looks nice, though higher price then you may desire to pay.

You may want to call local fab shop to see if they will sell you metal.
    I definitely don't want to get something that'll fail on me not long after buying it...

Didn't realize ESAB also made a 160 amp model. The 180 has rave reviews online, as noted here earlier too.

Like whtbaron, I buy my steel stock from a local steel supplier, who sells to both industry and individual consumers. All their steel is warehoused, therefore it's really clean. I buy the 20' sticks and they cut it in half to fit my truck bed. They have never charged me for a cut and never had a minimum. The only time I get charged more for a cut is when I buy a size I very seldom use like 1" square mild steel. For those I just get a 10' piece and they, of course, charge more per foot. I would be dead before I ever used a 20' stick of 1" square!
    Clean steel makes everything prep-wise a lot easier I'll bet. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the business owner too, in terms of if they can be bothered or not dealing with smaller volume.

I just saw it and know that blacksmithing stuff can be pricey and that it may be worth asking about!

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been in this area all that long and I'm honestly looking into how I can make money or save money in acquiring this skill-set. I've got more questions for anyone willing to answer!

What does everyone use for cutting metal up for projects? I've got a grizzly portaband and dewalt grinder but am sure there are better options.

I'd like to get a better handle on the full scope of what all's involved here if I'm going to spend the time (and money ultimately) learning how to do this reasonably well.

Thank you all for being so generous with your time and expertise!

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing that comes to mind is regarding starting the arc. EASB mentions on their site, in regard to the 180 amp model:

"...The Arc Force and Hot Start settings are adjustable and help the user find exactly the right arc for the job. Being digital the Micro-processor precisely controls all functions and provides Best-in Class welding performance across the amperage range of the machine..."

Does any other machine at a lower price-point have these characteristics mentioned, as far as anyone here knows?

Post Thanks / Like

How much of your money would you like us to spend? Just like welding, cutting is only limited by the budget you are able/willing to commit. It will depend on what your project is and what types of material and cuts you need to make. As well as how precise it needs to be. For mostly straight cuts in mild steel, what you have is okay for relatively short run projects to begin with. When you get into shapes the field gets more complicated. How much time you are willing to spend cutting will eventually come into play. But don't get ahead of yourself. What you eventually want to do will dictate which equipment you'll need or whether you"ll farm out some operations. Did anyone recommend this site to you:https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    How much of your money would you like us to spend? Just like welding, cutting is only limited by the budget you are able/willing to commit. It will depend on what your project is and what types of material and cuts you need to make. As well as how precise it needs to be. For mostly straight cuts in mild steel, what you have is okay for relatively short run projects to begin with. When you get into shapes the field gets more complicated. How much time you are willing to spend cutting will eventually come into play. But don't get ahead of yourself. What you eventually want to do will dictate which equipment you'll need or whether you"ll farm out some operations. Did anyone recommend this site to you:https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/

You're right - don't put the cart before the horse - and yes I found that site. I've seen several of his videos and with my horrible internet connection here that's investing a lot of time, believe me!

Here's the welding he did with the Thunderbolt (https://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/stick-welders.html), but he mentions it doesn't have the best arc, which is why I'm looking for a machine that has the best arc at the lowest price-point, so I'm encouraged to push forward and make progress...having never done this before, it just seems like it takes a fair amount of time and effort!

Name:  ytstickweld7018.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  50.7 KB

Post Thanks / Like

One other thing that comes to mind is regarding starting the arc. EASB mentions on their site, in regard to the 180 amp model:

"...The Arc Force and Hot Start settings are adjustable and help the user find exactly the right arc for the job. Being digital the Micro-processor precisely controls all functions and provides Best-in Class welding performance across the amperage range of the machine..."

Does any other machine at a lower price-point have these characteristics mentioned, as far as anyone here knows?
    As far as I know, no one has an offering like that for less$$. Before I bought the Esab 180i , I had the Esab 161 lts. That machine has " adaptive" arc force and hot start. That machine would do really well with 7018 and 6011 and it would run 6010 too. I rarely used 6010 with it and used 6011 almost always. Main reasons I upgraded to the 180i were, adjustable hot start and arc force, better 110 volt output , better leads(larger size dinse connectors), and of course 20 more amps. The extra amps allows better use of 5/32" electrodes. I've used plenty of high end inverters, xmt, Lincoln inverters, and engine drives, and it is every bit as smooth as they are at a huge decrease in size and weight. Either way whatever you decide, go with one of the inverter stick machines and burn some rod. I would think when down the road you decide to upgrade you will still get decent money for your old machine. I paid 410$ for the Esab 161 6-8 years ago, burnt hundreds of pounds of rod and sold it for $200. When figured over time that's cheaper than a Sally Struthers " help a struggling child" scam.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, no one has an offering like that for less$$. Before I bought the Esab 180i , I had the Esab 161 lts. That machine has " adaptive" arc force and hot start. That machine would do really well with 7018 and 6011 and it would run 6010 too. I rarely used 6010 with it and used 6011 almost always. Main reasons I upgraded to the 180i were, adjustable hot start and arc force, better 110 volt output , better leads(larger size dinse connectors), and of course 20 more amps. The extra amps allows better use of 5/32" electrodes. I've used plenty of high end inverters, xmt, Lincoln inverters, and engine drives, and it is every bit as smooth as they are at a huge decrease in size and weight. Either way whatever you decide, go with one of the inverter stick machines and burn some rod. I would think when down the road you decide to upgrade you will still get decent money for your old machine. I paid 410$ for the Esab 161 6-8 years ago, burnt hundreds of pounds of rod and sold it for $200. When figured over time that's cheaper than a Sally Struthers " help a struggling child" scam.
    So it's the, "adjustable", rather than, "adaptive" hot start and arc force that improves arc characteristics and only with the 180 and not the lesser models then...

What did you pay for the 180? What's the best price you see it going for today? I think ebay at $729 is the lowest price but could be wrong.

If you're going to help someone, help someone who is in need directly, and cut out all the bureaucratic nonsense that causes your charity to dwindle into nothingness...if you ask me.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 11-14-51 ESAB Miniarc Rogue ES 180i Stick Package (0700500070) for sale.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  56.4 KB

Post Thanks / Like

So it's the, "adjustable", rather than, "adaptive" hot start and arc force that improves arc characteristics and only with the 180 and not the lesser models then...

What did you pay for the 180? What's the best price you see it going for today? I think ebay at $729 is the lowest price but could be wrong.

If you're going to help someone, help someone who is in need directly, and cut out all the bureaucratic nonsense that causes your charity to dwindle into nothingness...if you ask me.

Name:  Screenshot 2021-09-04 at 11-14-51 ESAB Miniarc Rogue ES 180i Stick Package (0700500070) for sale.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  56.4 KB
    When I got mine they were 609$ with I believe a 65$ rebate. I ordered mine thru my sales rep for Mississippi welders supply. It's crazy how once word gets out how nice this machine or machines in general is, the price goes up. As far as the Sally Struthers thing, I agree about the money going places not intended, but was really referring to the pennies a day thing to " sponsor" a child. When you break down cost of ownership over time many of these machines really don't cost much to own. I didn't buy either of the Esab machines as a primary welder, rather more of a " convenience" machine for my uses. White that being said, the 180i is a professional grade machine that fits the bill for my stick welding needs with the exception of air arcing, big electrodes( which I rarely use anymore since wire is typically much faster), and hardfacing which generally uses large electrode and good duty cycle is needed. 99 percent of people would never encounter the need to do those 3 things so it's basically a moot point. If you can swing it you definitely wouldn't be disappointed or outgrow the Esab 180i. In a previous post you mentioned where to buy electrodes and other consumables, I get 99 percent of mine thru my sales rep that stops by work. My guess is when it comes to rod or wire it's going to be pretty hard for internet sales to compete with actual stores due to shipping heavy items. Farm stores such as TSC , fleet farm, rural king or farm and fleet, depending on location may be a good economical choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked that 729$ ebay is the cheapest. When I bought mine going rate was 649$ thru bakers gas and others. My 609$ price included the commercial discount that many larger LWS customers get

Post Thanks / Like

...If you can swing it you definitely wouldn't be disappointed or outgrow the Esab 180i. In a previous post you mentioned where to buy electrodes and other consumables, I get 99 percent of mine thru my sales rep that stops by work. My guess is when it comes to rod or wire it's going to be pretty hard for internet sales to compete with actual stores due to shipping heavy items. Farm stores such as TSC , fleet farm, rural king or farm and fleet, depending on location may be a good economical choice.
    Is there any consideration when buying electrodes used? Do they go bad, so to speak? Seems like $3-$5/lb is online pricing, but I see as low as $1/lb on marketplace, for example, and that's quite a savings...

I also just read on an everlast forum that the esab is marketed as being swedish but actually coming from china - is this one disgruntled person's opinion/lie or this a fact, to your knowledge?

Post Thanks / Like

I have found many pounds of electrodes at auctions, yard sales and other places. They would be fine to practice with or anything non critical. The cost of electrodes is a non issue to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkie1957 View Post
    I have found many pounds of electrodes at auctions, yard sales and other places. They would be fine to practice with or anything non critical. The cost of electrodes is a non issue to me

As long as the flux is intact, there shouldn't be any problems then, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Thatís correct. You can see obviously deteriorated flux or chunks missing. If it looks bad, pass it up

Steve

Miller Dialarc 250 (1990)
    Miller Maxstar 140 STR (2003)
    Lincoln SA200 Redface Pipeliner (1966)
    Lincoln MP210 (2015)
    Victor and MECO torches

Post Thanks / Like

Just looked that 729$ ebay is the cheapest. When I bought mine going rate was 649$ thru bakers gas and others. My 609$ price included the commercial discount that many larger LWS customers get
    Is there any consideration when buying electrodes used? Do they go bad, so to speak? Seems like $3-$5/lb is online pricing, but I see as low as $1/lb on marketplace, for example, and that's quite a savings...

I also just read on an everlast forum that the esab is marketed as being swedish but actually coming from china - is this one disgruntled person's opinion/lie or this a fact, to your knowledge?
    I believe it's made in China and Esab doesn't try to hide that fact. I would take Everlasts word about as far as our president select. I'll just leave it at that. I'm not crazy about Chinese products but it's the way it is. I'm sure Esabs build specifications are at a much higher standard than Everlast and even Everlast most likely has a higher standard ( at least in build quality, but probably not in morales ) , than most lower priced importers. As for electrode, whether online or open box private sale, the condition of the flux is the main issue. Of course if I was doing repairs on alloy steel I would start with a sealed container from a reputable source such as McKay, Lincoln or Esab.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I figured that would be the case. Time to find some deals.