Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 188

Thread: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

  1. #151
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    If you read the post you would see I got it about 8 years ago, sold it 3-4 months ago. No Tig setup or case, machine came with the short, lightweight leads, power cord and 110v adapter.

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    If you read the post you would see I got it about 8 years ago, sold it 3-4 months ago. No Tig setup or case, machine came with the short, lightweight leads, power cord and 110v adapter.
    I read the post and noticed that you said you got it 8 years ago but I also noticed that you didn't say when you sold it, which is why I asked how long you'd had it.

    So $300+ whatever for shipping - is that worth it if I have a cheaper, more highly spec'd machine coming?

    This one I've got coming is 200 amp, DV, TIG/MMA/plasma...is it almost certain the esab will perform better at 160 amp max?

    I believe they're both hot start but the MP is also HF TIG and the esab is lift TIG.

    Without having used anything yet, it isn't clear if it's customer service and longevity that comes with the higher price tags, or if actual capability of a given machine is also somehow greater, qualitatively speaking, at identical specifications.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,859
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    I wouldn't waste my money on that plasma- welder combo

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Any recommendations from anyone on a solid MIG welder for welding up to 3/8" material?

    And also any recommendations from anyone on a solid saw for cutting steel material up to 3/8"?

    Everywhere I turn and ask anyone about making fitness equipment, I keep hearing to not worry about stick welding and to just go to MIG...
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NW New Jersey
    Posts
    895
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Hobart handler 190, Lincoln PowerMig 180, Millermatic 211, are kind of the standard offerings that most big box, tractor shop , and welding shops have, and represent good value for dollar, good warranty, and most often simply work. There are tons of cheaper welders, and some more expensive ones , but if your new to welding "Zero Experience" these are what I would recommend. Solid simple 230v mig machines that work well for the kind of work you want to do. I think you will find learning mig easier than stick on small tube frame structures. Harbor freight horizontal band saw, and a 4-1/2" right angle grinder will be all that you really need to get started. The horizontal band saw can be used indoors without making smoke or sparks, and can cut up to 4" thick material(and several pieces of tube , bar , or angle at one time). Some even convert to vertical band saws too. Any 4-1/2" grinder with lots of different grinder wheels, wire brushes, flap wheels, sanding discs will do everything else you need.

    Just my opinion , I'm sure you'll get more, but I think you should get a new simple machine so you can concentrate on learning to weld, not troubleshooting an old welder, or some chinesium welder of unknown quality. The above welders are easy to get consumables for now, and in the future.

    Good Luck with your welding
    Last edited by albrightree; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:28 PM.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    I am a Christian. Like Crocodile Dundee: "Me & God, we be mates."
    About 35 years ago, the minister's wife cornered me. Her message was that our infant was disturbing the 5 member congregation. Since I didn't get it, didn't leave my son at home, she would sacrifice her enlightenment & take him in the back room. I had a simpler solution. If my infant son isn't welcome, I will remove him.

    That faltering church has survived 36 years since, membership has grown by two since, proof they didn't need me.

    I love my God. I apologize to no one for it. Forcing my religion on others will NOT work. I hope that the way I live my life will encourage new believers. I feel I have been successful. I count several who wouldn't, who did commit.

    I have sons! Only two share my genes. Several others arrive when I'm not home to borrow from me.
    Mrs. B uses the phrase: "My three sons." Our youngest son Zack, had a next door neighbor Zach. Zach has never left. They approach 30 now. One picture of three sons, all landed here in blue shirts. Seth is big, 6'3", 215 LBS. Zack is 5' 10" strong as a small bull. Zach is 5'8". If all 3 weren't in the photograph, you'd say he was in impeccable shape.

    Mrs B looks at the photograph; "He's flexing his muscles."
    "Yeah, so are the others"

    Never had a girl. I have several daughters in law. Life is good.

    I hope I have steered younger people to my religion.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Hobart handler 190, Lincoln PowerMig 180, Millermatic 211, are kind of the standard offerings that most big box, tractor shop , and welding shops have, and represent good value for dollar, good warranty, and most often simply work. There are tons of cheaper welders, and some more expensive ones , but if your new to welding "Zero Experience" these are what I would recommend. Solid simple 230v mig machines that work well for the kind of work you want to do. I think you will find learning mig easier than stick on small tube frame structures. Harbor freight horizontal band saw, and a 4-1/2" right angle grinder will be all that you really need to get started. The horizontal band saw can be used indoors without making smoke or sparks, and can cut up to 4" thick material(and several pieces of tube , bar , or angle at one time). Some even convert to vertical band saws too. Any 4-1/2" grinder with lots of different grinder wheels, wire brushes, flap wheels, sanding discs will do everything else you need.

    Just my opinion , I'm sure you'll get more, but I think you should get a new simple machine so you can concentrate on learning to weld, not troubleshooting an old welder, or some chinesium welder of unknown quality. The above welders are easy to get consumables for now, and in the future.

    Good Luck with your welding
    This is good, its good for the guy asking. You dont need all the other stuff. Forget the tig. For repair, restoration a plasma and a torch are needed but most fitness equipment could be built with simple cuts, most on new material,

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    This is kind of what I was getting at earlier. Is the Dial a good machine,,, yes it is but its not for you.

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Hobart handler 190, Lincoln PowerMig 180, Millermatic 211, are kind of the standard offerings that most big box, tractor shop , and welding shops have, and represent good value for dollar, good warranty, and most often simply work. There are tons of cheaper welders, and some more expensive ones , but if your new to welding "Zero Experience" these are what I would recommend. Solid simple 230v mig machines that work well for the kind of work you want to do. I think you will find learning mig easier than stick on small tube frame structures. Harbor freight horizontal band saw, and a 4-1/2" right angle grinder will be all that you really need to get started. The horizontal band saw can be used indoors without making smoke or sparks, and can cut up to 4" thick material(and several pieces of tube , bar , or angle at one time). Some even convert to vertical band saws too. Any 4-1/2" grinder with lots of different grinder wheels, wire brushes, flap wheels, sanding discs will do everything else you need.

    Just my opinion , I'm sure you'll get more, but I think you should get a new simple machine so you can concentrate on learning to weld, not troubleshooting an old welder, or some chinesium welder of unknown quality. The above welders are easy to get consumables for now, and in the future.

    Good Luck with your welding
    Thank you for your recommendations! A former client and friend of mine is a professional fabricator and he suggests the Millermatic 211 - it's one of three machines he's got - and he says it'll do all I'm looking to do. I forgot to mention I've got a DeWalt angle grinder and a Baldor bench grinder...got some experience with them but need more. I need to get the flap wheels and sanding discs but have the others.

    I appreciate the feedback! Thank you very much.


    Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I am a Christian. Like Crocodile Dundee: "Me & God, we be mates."
    About 35 years ago, the minister's wife cornered me. Her message was that our infant was disturbing the 5 member congregation. Since I didn't get it, didn't leave my son at home, she would sacrifice her enlightenment & take him in the back room. I had a simpler solution. If my infant son isn't welcome, I will remove him.

    That faltering church has survived 36 years since, membership has grown by two since, proof they didn't need me.

    I love my God. I apologize to no one for it. Forcing my religion on others will NOT work. I hope that the way I live my life will encourage new believers. I feel I have been successful. I count several who wouldn't, who did commit.

    I have sons! Only two share my genes. Several others arrive when I'm not home to borrow from me.
    Mrs. B uses the phrase: "My three sons." Our youngest son Zack, had a next door neighbor Zach. Zach has never left. They approach 30 now. One picture of three sons, all landed here in blue shirts. Seth is big, 6'3", 215 LBS. Zack is 5' 10" strong as a small bull. Zach is 5'8". If all 3 weren't in the photograph, you'd say he was in impeccable shape.

    Mrs B looks at the photograph; "He's flexing his muscles."
    "Yeah, so are the others"

    Never had a girl. I have several daughters in law. Life is good.

    I hope I have steered younger people to my religion.
    1 Timothy 1:12-15 KJV
    12
    And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
    13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
    14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
    15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.



    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    This is good, its good for the guy asking. You dont need all the other stuff. Forget the tig. For repair, restoration a plasma and a torch are needed but most fitness equipment could be built with simple cuts, most on new material,
    One step at a time, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    This is kind of what I was getting at earlier. Is the Dial a good machine,,, yes it is but its not for you.
    At this time, I think you're right.
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    I have observed sales in stores and some particular to welding machines and bought a dozen or so over the years.
    I kind of interviewed the Airgas manager. I had seen him at work i think not too long after he started with them on the floor.
    I think i asked about a tweener model they didnt have on the floor. Maybe a 215. First thing he asked was what i did and if another 400 for a so much better 255 was a big deal?
    The guy isnt a welder, he is a salesman. We yalk for a few minutes and he pointed oit a couple guys he said know a lot about it but could not sell and this guy knows that a sale tomorrow is as good as today.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    So i watch him deal with a guy asking about a feeder. The guy is a good customer in the sense he appreciatrd the good solid job by buying 10 # of rod after a few min chat. My bet is the guy comes back on a week for a machine.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Got a bud, retired and bought 2 new machines. A 211 and 200 Dynasty. One cost 1000 and got 50 hrs on it, the other one cost 5000 and got 5 setting it up and doing a couple jobs the one cost 1000 could have done.
    When i quiz him about it says, yes to the 211 but prolly not got the 200 again.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Machines have changed. I do some contracting so i keep a couple around but the scope of most of my work has progressed closer to the hobby/diy in thickness than a real fab shop.
    I could do 95% of it with a 210
    If i had to start over tomorrow could do it for a fraction of the cost with 2 machines i would want even if i had a truck load of Dialarc.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    This is different than production where time and money are factors and the cost reward spread makes better machines a bargain. Not worth it to save 5 minutes or dollar or 2 materials a week.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Evem 5$ a week saved would pay for difference in machines eventually and not many places using it regular wouldnt make easy money on it.

  16. #166
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Now that I'm looking at MIG I'm coming up with more questions here...

    Does every MIG welder offer the capability to do both GMAW and FCAW?

    Are there machines only for FCAW that offer lower prices overall? I realize the wire with the flux core is more costly than solid wire but I'm sure gas for short circuit MIG costs something, right?

    I initially really liked the concept of SMAW because it's supposed to be a simple machine, lowest entry cost and just putting in some time developing a skill...

    Flux core seems to have some of that simplicity, in concept, and the ability to also use it outside.

    I want to make sure I've got the helmet figured out and respiratory health considerations fully addressed. While I realize both SMAW and FCAW both have greater toxicity from flux, is it reasonable to assume that welding outside using these processes is overall a healthier way to go because the smoke will just dissipate rather than be in an enclosed space to breathe in repeatedly?

    If flux core only welders exist and would be a reasonable way to go for a complete novice, would recommendations be different?

    Thanks all!
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  17. #167
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Northern Lower Mi summer, FL winter
    Posts
    27
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Any MIG/MAG machine will run fluxcore also. Not the other way around.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart 140
    HTP 220 MTS
    Miller Legend AEAD 200LE Gas drive

  18. #168
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    Any MIG/MAG machine will run fluxcore also. Not the other way around.
    IF... you can swap polarity.

  19. #169
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    Any MIG/MAG machine will run fluxcore also. Not the other way around.
    I figured this out through a multitude of searches, yes thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    IF... you can swap polarity.
    I also found in those searches that it's only DCEN, thanks.
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  20. #170
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    I've got the chinese MMA/TIG/Plasma deal here so I went and got an air compressor and some 1/16" 6013 rods to just go with what I've got here to see what it's like to stick weld and plasma cut a bit and just see what I can learn hands on here.
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  21. #171
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brethren, Mi
    Posts
    1,153
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    You are going to find this frustrating at best. Those electrodes are either so specialty or for someone doesnt know any better. Start with 3 rods. 1/8 6011 and 3/32 and 1/8 7018. Skip all that baby stuff, the arc length, the current settings are so fussy and wont even be able to see that little thing.
    You are "researching" so much its going to be difficult to learn and anyone giving you any advice except to buy a 210 feeder and gas bottle isnt doing you any favors.
    I would stick around and elaborate but I would be late for church.

  22. #172
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    You are going to find this frustrating at best. Those electrodes are either so specialty or for someone doesnt know any better. Start with 3 rods. 1/8 6011 and 3/32 and 1/8 7018. Skip all that baby stuff, the arc length, the current settings are so fussy and wont even be able to see that little thing.
    You are "researching" so much its going to be difficult to learn and anyone giving you any advice except to buy a 210 feeder and gas bottle isnt doing you any favors.
    I would stick around and elaborate but I would be late for church.

    Alright, I'll head back with them since they're unopened and get some 3/32 in either 6011 or 7018 if they have it there. My logic was just that since it's by weight I'd get more practice using smaller rods for the same investment, but if it'll be much harder to see what's happening at that size electrode I'll just go up a size...

    I've got my auto-darkening helmet here. I want to be sure I've got it functioning properly...it responds to a lighter spark and the sun if I block the sensors and then it's hit with sunlight, but it immediately goes back to not darkened in front of the lighter flame and the sun both.

    Everything online says it should stay darkened in sunlight, and the sun is out and plenty bright here now. Is it then not a working helmet, or is the arc from stick and plasma both so much brighter at proximity that it should darken and stay darkened until those arcs are gone?
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  23. #173
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Name:  16326975761202430522479811836502.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  101.7 KB
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

  24. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Mount Tabor VT
    Posts
    7,806
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    You are going to find this frustrating at best. Those electrodes are either so specialty or for someone doesnt know any better. Start with 3 rods. 1/8 6011 and 3/32 and 1/8 7018. Skip all that baby stuff, the arc length, the current settings are so fussy and wont even be able to see that little thing.
    You are "researching" so much its going to be difficult to learn and anyone giving you any advice except to buy a 210 feeder and gas bottle isnt doing you any favors.
    I would stick around and elaborate but I would be late for church.
    Lots of different auto dark helmets. Simplest can't be adjusted for sensitivity, mine can. Mine has four sensors surrounding the lens so one is likely to sense.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

  25. #175
    Join Date
    Aug 2021
    Location
    Home of the Mountains Arkansas
    Posts
    77
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Dialarc Time; Zero Experience Here!

    So if I strike a lighter in front of my helmet it should auto-darken, and with sensitivity set highest and delay set lowest, it should return to non-darkened in the presence of the flame that remains - is this correct?

    If I block the sensors from sunlight and then expose them to direct sunlight, with sensitivity set highest and delay set lowest, it should return to non-darkened in the presence of the sunlight - is this correct?
    1 Timothy 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever..."

    Acts 9:5 "...Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest...
    "

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,634,863,435.71050 seconds with 14 queries