Thread: Loader boom

Post Thanks / Like

Loader boom

Had a need to build an extension to my tractor loader in order to extend the reach out from the loader and to gain height over the bucket height. Used drill pipe and scrap plate.

Name:  bucket boom 2.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  99.2 KB

Used primarily to set shop walls and trusses. Extended too height from 12' to 17'.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Loader boom

How much harder is this on the front axle/spindles? I’d hate to be lifting something heavy and have that weight be multiplied by the length it sticks out equate to a broken piece of equipment or even worse injury. Looks good.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

You do have to watch the load limits. I am only lifting 100lbs. to 200lbs for walls and trusses. The tractor in the pic is a Farmall M. I now have a Massey 1100. Tractor will lift 1600lbs at the loader. Axles are the weak point using an extended lift point.
    Last edited by milomilo; 09-03-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    How much harder is this on the front axle/spindles? I’d hate to be lifting something heavy and have that weight be multiplied by the length it sticks out equate to a broken piece of equipment or even worse injury. Looks good.
    I do that with this tractor, I have two pieces of 3X6X3/16" rectangular tube,, I slide them over the forks.

The tube came 24 feet long, I cut it in half, so the pieces are each 12 feet.
    I can reach 22 feet high at the tip of the tubes, I set a 30 foot long beam with the machine at 22 feet high.

In my opinion, the extension does not put extra load on the front axle, at all.
    The loader is capable of lifting 2200 pounds, at the bucket pivot pins.
    If the load is moved twice as far out, the load that it can lift is only half, or 1100 pounds.
    There is still the same 2200 pounds of force at the area of the bucket pins.
    Double the distance again, you can only lift 550 pounds,, etc,,

You can not lift 2200 pounds twice as far out, the hydraulic control valve stops oil flow at the max pressure,,

The building behind the tractor is all welded steel,,
    The peak of the corner of the roof that is seen at the highest point is 22 feet off the ground.
    That is where I was setting the steel that high.

6. Likes _Weldman_, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is one of the reasons I have two tubes,, I built this chicken coop in the shed, then moved it with the extensions.

That coop is 12X16 feet,,IIRC,,
    That was a "while" ago,, behind the coop was our functional "C" Band satellite dish,,

AND, the frame that the coop sets on was welded using my then owned Miller Bobcat.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8. Likes _Weldman_, N2 Welding, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah there’s the pictures of your tractor boom, I have something like that made when I took the grain bins down except the base was 6 inch channel iron about 3’ long and 2.875” pipe is 10’ long with half inch plate of iron welded to it like a flag on the end with a hole big enough to hook a chain hoist on it and a link of half inch chain on backside for support chain or strap to hook on to. I need to unload it but I have 3 of them made.Name:  7E9C0B0C-3B9D-45B9-980B-A5C468FB7AE5.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  119.0 KB

10. Likes SweetMK, 12V71, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    I have something like that made when I took the grain bins down except the base was 6 inch channel iron about 3’ long and 2.875” pipe is 10’ long with half inch plate of iron welded to it like a flag on the end with a hole big enough to hook a chain hoist on it and a link of half inch chain on backside for support chain or strap to hook on to.

I need to unload it but I have 3 of them made.
    Make sure you keep them,, I would bet that they could lift a milling machine (when you get one!! )

12. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is that a wheelhorse pulling the bobcat?
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a wheelhorse pulling the bobcat?
    That is my 72" cut, 24HP, Onan powered Gravely 24G,,
    MANY guys on a Gravely forum have stated to me that I have the LAST 24G in captivity that still has a roll bar on it,,

I guess most people remove the roll bar, because, back in the era of this tractor, a roll bar was unheard of,, yet,,

AND, that mower deck alone weighs almost 1,000 pounds,
    with the deck under the tractor, it would be almost impossible to turn the tractor over.

15. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those things are behemoths. Those rear fenders look about like the ones that came on the wheelhorse D250. Nice GT btw. With no engine in the front I can see having and using a front end loader on that with ease. Does it have power steering?

I have an F935 JD that has the roll bar and hard canopy which I have considered puting on a garden tractor. Not sure I want to butcher the f935 just yet. If I ever move out of the city to the country and get a decent size lot the 72” mower on the f935 will come in handy.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-04-2021 at 12:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those things are behemoths. Those rear fenders look about like the ones that came on the wheelhorse D250. Nice GT btw. With no engine in the front I can see having and using a front end loader on that with ease.

Does it have power steering?
    Yea, it has power steering, and hydraulic lift for the mower.
    The "2 clutch" transmission means no shifting, just rock the foot pedal for forward and reverse.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Yea, it has power steering, and hydraulic lift for the mower.
    The "2 clutch" transmission means no shifting, just rock the foot pedal for forward and reverse.
    almost sounds like a hydrostatic transmission. Most of the JD GT tractors from 140 up to the 430 455 and 7xx tractors use some variant of a hydrostatic transmission. The older ones ‘92 through early ‘70’s used a sun strand and are bullet proof. Gravely is a tough tractor.

Post Thanks / Like

almost sounds like a hydrostatic transmission. Most of the JD GT tractors from 140 up to the 430 455 and 7xx tractors use some variant of a hydrostatic transmission. The older ones ‘92 through early ‘70’s used a sun strand and are bullet proof. Gravely is a tough tractor.
    Gravely used a total gear drive transmission,, 4 gears, plus high and low, for 8 speeds total.
    Then, the "clutch" operated one of the two clutches, one clutch for forward, the other for reverse.

Very cool, no shifting, just engage the clutch that was for the direction you wanted to go.

Reverse was geared slightly slower than forward. The clutch would "lock" into forward, but not into reverse.

If you look at the pic, the big black pedal rocked forward, or reverse, whichever you selected.
    Some Gravely tractors had a hand lever that extended as high as the hood, the clutch was then hand operated, forward, reverse,,

The big difference between this, and a hydro was that Gravely did not have variable speed.
    BUT, the hydro is known for sucking up 10% to 25% of the horsepower in friction losses,,

That is one of the reasons modern hydro tractors have such high horsepower engines,,
    the transmission wastes so much horsepower,, compared to gear drive.

I have a "larger" hydrostatic drive tractor,, I now mow with, two pedals, forward, and reverse, variable speed,,
    BUT, this tractor has a 41HP diesel, and the transmission wastes a LOT of power,,

20. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    You do have to watch the load limits. I am only lifting 100lbs. to 200lbs for walls and trusses. The tractor in the pic is a Farmall M. I now have a Massey 1100. Tractor will lift 1600lbs at the loader. Axles are the weak point using an extended lift point.
    I have an M field tractor, no loader. Mine is narrow front. The wide front, I'd be careful about loader weight. They weren't (I believe) really intended for loader duty. I'm not familiar with the Massey. Likely the lift will be restricted by your pressure relief, but be quite careful with uneven terrain & sudden maneuvers with all that leverage.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    I have an M field tractor, no loader. Mine is narrow front. The wide front, I'd be careful about loader weight. They weren't (I believe) really intended for loader duty. I'm not familiar with the Massey. Likely the lift will be restricted by your pressure relief, but be quite careful with uneven terrain & sudden maneuvers with all that leverage.
    Spindles can snap or axles crack when traveling with a heavy load. I always go very slow even without using the loader boom. Seen way too many tractors with broken axles. Going to fast on uneven ground and bouncing a load can easily double the load on a axle. My Massey has a much more stout axle than my old M. The Massey has power steering and live PTO, which is why I upgraded.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

23. Likes N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I broke a 4020 spindle ( a lot heftier than what you are working with) pushing out rocks with a blade. The good news is that it made a great rounded pounding post on my upright anvil.
    Name:  049.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  048.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  22.0 KB
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

25. Likes N2 Welding, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Imagine trying to do all this without power steering on a backhoe with a loader, it’s what I have been fighting each rock and dirt load. Makes it hard to accurately line up on anything, especially with a boom on it. Hopefully after my pole barn is done I can get power steering on mine, I got a spare just need time and place to do it.

27. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I broke a 4020 spindle ( a lot heftier than what you are working with) pushing out rocks with a blade. The good news is that it made a great rounded pounding post on my upright anvil.
    Name:  049.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.5 KB
    Name:  048.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  22.0 KB
    I've had an old 1961 International B275. IH had a long series of great utility tractors beginning about then with the B275. It isn't a bulldozer by any means. In the 1990s A neighbor wanted to borrow it. I had misgivings, but let him take it.

Soon I could hear crashing, I went to investigate. His lawn was full of boulders sticking up a few inches. What showed three inches was typically three feet. He was getting a good running start & crashing the loader into them. I went home with the tractor. The subject of borrowing it didn't come up again.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

29. Likes _Weldman_, N2 Welding, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Which is why you buy CAT.
    Name:  IMG_6954 (1).jpg
Views: 410
Size:  120.7 KB
    But I really should have held out for a D-9.
    Name:  IMG_6957.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  179.0 KB
    Weld on the arm and slip hook are doing just fine... so far anyway...
    Name:  IMG_6955 (1).jpg
Views: 397
Size:  61.6 KB
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

31. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got about 55 years experience digging out big rocks without the proper equipment. First two thirds of my life, the most expensive thing I ever broke was a hand shovel. I'm more productive now, but fails are more expensive.

33. Likes whtbaron liked this post