Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Son's New Shop

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Son's New Shop

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    That shop is built super strong! I really like the cross bracing on the wall studs. Roof looks sturdy too! He should be proud of it when finished.
    Thanks.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

Post Thanks / Like

Finished the west end gable wall stud framing on the scissor trusses. Have I mentioned that I hate scissor trusses. Son says their are a a pain in the *** also now.
    East wall to do tomorrow. Will be a bit easier than the west wall. Studs are needed to attach the OSB on both sides of the walls as well for insulation.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chris
    Auction Addict

3. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're not quite done cursing those rafters yet... you're about to find out they don't have as much room for insulation at the bottom edge too. You'll need the blocking to maintain airflow to the eave vents.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    You're not quite done cursing those rafters yet... you're about to find out they don't have as much room for insulation at the bottom edge too. You'll need the blocking to maintain airflow to the eave vents.
    We are doing ridge cap vents along the entire 60'. No soffit vents. One gable wall vent each end.Pretty dry country here and very little humidity. All my buildings are done the same way. Never had a interior drip. Told the son it is up to him to do the insulation in the ceiling.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

6. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Have to say building with wood is so much faster than building with used rusted metal. Measure, mark, cut, grind, fit up, mark again, grind other surface, measure, mark and then weld it. Then add in the equation of one person doing it, go up ladder clamp tape measure off move ladder to other side go back up ladder, measure then mark go back down and repeat other side for squareness. Getting me dizzy typing this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Have to say building with wood is so much faster than building with used rusted metal. Measure, mark, cut, grind, fit up, mark again, grind other surface, measure, mark and then weld it. Then add in the equation of one person doing it, go up ladder clamp tape measure off move ladder to other side go back up ladder, measure then mark go back down and repeat other side for squareness. Getting me dizzy typing this
    My son does not like getting on a ladder much. So it goes a bit slower. Today we 3 of us so that helped some. I did most of the cutting and handing them up stuff to nail. Had to do the top of the exterior gable peak as it was a bit too high for him. He says today that this shop build is the most he has been on a ladder all his life.
    Chris
    Auction Addict

9. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post