+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie question trying to understand electricity

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Newbie question trying to understand electricity

"AC current is more dangerous than DC current."

Gee! That's all Thomas Edison was trying to convince the public when he electrocuted animals & invented the electric chair.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    So...I guess if positive particles (as well as negative particles) travel in a plasma stream, then "cold" travels the same way as "heat travels."

So I guess that means the "cold" moves from the workpiece (and the electrode) into the welder. What happens when the cold particles accumulate in the welder? Do you have to empty them out from time to time?

I guess this is why SA-200 welders slow down after they've been used too long continuously ... too much cold buildup!

As you know cold does not travel. Only heat travels. The cold in winter does not move into your house at all, the heat leaves your house. The same is true of electricity, an area with fewer particles of electricity will allow an area with more particles of electricity to move to it. Benjamin Franklin nailed the terminology perfectly, colleges not at all. Nothing stops electricity other than electricity. Insulators do not stop electricity until they charge in a ramping voltage, while they are charging you can be killed. An insulator is a dielectric like used in a capacitor. The light switch in your home is an air cap a condenser that charges and discharges 120 times a second to stop the flow of electricity through the air gap. If you changed the size of the points in the switch so that they were perhaps four-foot square plates you would get shocked even though there was the same air gap. The reason you do not get shocked through an open light switch is that the capacitor created is a picofarad-sized capacitor, make it bigger and you will feel it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    So...I guess if positive particles (as well as negative particles) travel in a plasma stream, then "cold" travels the same way as "heat travels."

So I guess that means the "cold" moves from the workpiece (and the electrode) into the welder. What happens when the cold particles accumulate in the welder? Do you have to empty them out from time to time?

I guess this is why SA-200 welders slow down after they've been used too long continuously ... too much cold buildup!

I'm sure (I hope) you realise that there is no relationship between the premise and your conclusion.

Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post
    As you know cold does not travel. Only heat travels. The cold in winter does not move into your house at all, the heat leaves your house. The same is true of electricity, an area with fewer particles of electricity will allow an area with more particles of electricity to move to it. Benjamin Franklin nailed the terminology perfectly, colleges not at all. Nothing stops electricity other than electricity. Insulators do not stop electricity until they charge in a ramping voltage, while they are charging you can be killed. An insulator is a dielectric like used in a capacitor. The light switch in your home is an air cap a condenser that charges and discharges 120 times a second to stop the flow of electricity through the air gap. If you changed the size of the points in the switch so that they were perhaps four-foot square plates you would get shocked even though there was the same air gap. The reason you do not get shocked through an open light switch is that the capacitor created is a picofarad-sized capacitor, make it bigger and you will feel it.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Just wanted to add that high frequency on the TIG welder causes the air between the tungsten electrode and workpiece to bi-polarize so many times a second that the air the dielectric breaks down. It is also done to protect the body, in most cases, by bi-polarizing so fast that the body does not get shocked. In other cases, it can lock your hands to an aluminum railing and rip tendons in your forearms when there is no ground clamp on the workpiece.

In refrigeration, the only thing happening is heat is absorbed and heat is emitted with nothing to do with cold at all other than as a byproduct of moving heat.

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    If I wasn't so.....crazy, I wouldn't try to act normal, and you would be afraid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    "AC current is more dangerous than DC current."

Gee! That's all Thomas Edison was trying to convince the public when he electrocuted animals & invented the electric chair.

DC will kill you too especially wet. White men can jump when they grab the broken stinger in the rain. A bad connection in a DC circuit will give you AC current and explosive initiating voltage. DC would not travel over distance. But since Benjamin Franklin realized that we could make all the electricity we wanted locally the need for transmission lines was not necessary. So it was just a failure all around for Tesla and Edison not being up to Benjamin Franklin's level of understanding.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    Originally they were gonna hang Topsy the elephant (for killing three men)...but they couldn't find a rope big enough!

https://edison.rutgers.edu/topsy.htm

7. Likes William McCormick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
    Conventional current, that used to teach the subject, flows from positive to negative.

Most people also know that electrons and negative ions flow from negative to positive and that positrons and positive ions flow from positive to negative. In a plasma (like an arc), there are both positive (ions) and negative (electrons) particles.

I was not concerned about the particles that made up the current, their charge or the direction in which they travelled, so I used the abstract form - conventional current - which flows from positive to negative.

Jack
    The problem with colleges is that they were paid by the government with grants and tax breaks to hide the reality. If you look at a simple cathode ray tube you will see what looks like larger particles visible particles moving away from the cathode, the cathode that is short of particles of electricity and electrical pressure. So instead of sharing what is being seen, they used it as a way to change Benjamin Franklin's exact markings and symbols for electricity. They went back to the mistakes of the French Scientist Du Fay who was responsible for the first error. Those visible particles are just atoms of gas being repulsed by the cathode ray that is just an abundance of particles of electricity, created by the liquid diode on the surface of the cathode. The power in the ray is moving against the power supplies force, due to it being a higher voltage.

When you weld with 7016 rods at equal currents in both straight and reverse polarity the reverse polarity causes much more heat and penetration. That is because the reciprocal power is coming from the universe, not the power supply. If you weld a lot with reverse polarity and with ARC rods you will often see a little lightning bolt within the ARC, that is lightning voltage as Benjamin Franklin had proven with his kite experiment and open-air transistor. Static electricity made by friction can repel lightning, only electricity repels or stops electricity. Electricity most mimics water or pneumatic pressure but universities have turned the symbols and definitions into garbage. Now positive pressure is called negative and negative pressure is called positive. I am just waiting till they call up down and down up, raise it down and lower it up will be legit terms soon I am sure, they work now for electricity. When you use reverse polarity with a TIG torch and tungsten you get barely any penetration that is because the tungsten is barely molten, use the exact same polarity and exact same power and you will just blow a hole in the same plate with an ARC rod that becomes extremely molten. It creates a molten liquid diode like a mercury diode or mercury rectifier. They made this illegal to teach in a public school as of 1973. All the good teachers I had quit teaching, my shop teacher stayed on but admitted it was a joke.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick View Post

In refrigeration, the only thing happening is heat is absorbed and heat is emitted with nothing to do with cold at all other than as a byproduct of moving heat.
    Actually, there is no such "thing" as cold, there is only heat,,
    you can have more "heat", and less heat,, heat is simply vibrating particles,,
    more heat, is due to more vibrations,,
    less heat is due to less vibrations.

"Cold" is simply the human sense of less heat.

Everything has some "heat" , because, no one has figured out how to reduce the heat in an item to a point that vibration stops.

So, when students are being taught about "heat" they are also taught to not discuss cold, it does not exist.

10. Likes William McCormick, RedOak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

Everything has some "heat" , because, no one has figured out how to reduce the heat in an item to a point that vibration stops.

So, when students are being taught about "heat" they are also taught to not discuss cold, it does not exist.
    That is what I was saying. Cold is like low or no voltage in an area. The same is true of electricity, there is more and less voltage but always voltage. When you create a terminal that is short of particles of electricity compared to another area you only moved the electricity from one area to another to create a differential of electrical pressure. Like creating a differential of heat. Heat pumps take heat from the outdoors efficiently to minus 5 degrees Fahrenheit, but can deliver heat well below that.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

Heat in a substance causes atoms to move a greater distance as an object expands. However, the rate of vibration is slower than when the metal is cold because the atoms have to travel a greater distance to reach a repulsive force that sends them back in the opposite direction. A cold substance becomes smaller so the atoms have a shorter distance to travel and therefore vibrate faster or complete a cycle of movement more quickly. Just listen to a cold piece of iron struck and a hot piece of iron struck two distinctly different sounds. The metal can no longer produce that crisp high-frequency sound when it is very hot.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist