Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brazing with OXY/Propane

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brazing with OXY/Propane

I didn't read all the posts but wanted to point out that you CANNOT get a neutral flame with propane. You can't really get a carburizing flame either. You can get an oxidizing flame in varying amounts down to a pointed blue flame. Often just setting the tip on edge on a piece of steel before lighting helps as does adding a little oxygen. Acetylene welding tips can be used with propane but you usually need a larger size to get the required heat. Propane cutting tips can be 2 piece or the end recessed. I think Esab even has or had some that are flat on the end like acetylene tips. Not sure if they just have larger preheat holes or what is different about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Welder Dave View Post
    I didn't read all the posts but wanted to point out that you CANNOT get a neutral flame with propane. You can't really get a carburizing flame either. You can get an oxidizing flame in varying amounts down to a pointed blue flame. Often just setting the tip on edge on a piece of steel before lighting helps as does adding a little oxygen. Acetylene welding tips can be used with propane but you usually need a larger size to get the required heat. Propane cutting tips can be 2 piece or the end recessed. I think Esab even has or had some that are flat on the end like acetylene tips. Not sure if they just have larger preheat holes or what is different about them.
    Welder Dave compliments and good explanation.

Edit: thanks for answering question for all

Oxy acety is best. Propane if it's all you got
    Last edited by Insaneride; 10-01-2021 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Willie B View Post
    After an explosion stretched the 10 gallon tank to about 12, I concluded torch wasn't best to solder with.
    Nice. That would have extended your driving range an extra 20-30 miles.

Just like having a “reserve” on our old Ford farm tractors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :