+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some Interesting Stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Some Interesting Stuff

I was just killing time till I could go to sleep, and came across this dood. A really interesting mix of jobs.

At first, I was shocked................It was like my Uncle came back to life. This guy is the spittin' image of him. I'm pleased to see that there's still some Indians in the trade. Used to be a lot of those guys out there burning rods.

The guy moves a lot going uphill. By the looks of the finished weld, it's not really an extreme stack of dimes look. I don't run 7018 like this, but it is possible to avoid slag entrapment if you're placing the heat right back in the puddle before it solidifies. Do not try to learn running 7018 this way........unless you get it absolutely right, you'll have a mess on your hands. It makes me nervous to see it done this way. He seems to have a good customer base, so the stuff isn't falling apart I guess

If you go through some of his other jobs, you'll see some of the best torch work I've ever seen.

2. Likes whtbaron, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Interesting Stuff

Ive been watching him for a while now. Seen all his utubes I think. Highly skilled and experienced tradesman that fixes things properly after others have tried and failed. I learn stuff every time I see him.

4. Likes 12345678910, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here, been watching him for awhile. Another guy that knows his s**t as well, I may have mentioned him before, CEE https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ge+engineering ...................Mike

6. Likes 12345678910, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Me three, he popped up on my "suggested list". First video I saw was him freehand cutting out a trailer hitch pin (I think). It was in inches thick plate, and the replacement fit like a glove.
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

Post Thanks / Like

Me four...I think Isaac is one of the best welders I have ever seen. I subscribed to his channel and look forward to his next video. I think he can repair anything from extracting a broken bolt to re-manufacturing a CAT excavator or dozer. He's very humble but his work screams perfection.

Post Thanks / Like

farmersammm -Thanks for the point to him and other for seconds, thirds, and fourths.

Fascinating and impressive skills with a great explanation of what he's doing and why he's doing it, as well as what he does when he got it wrong initially.

I'm about 4 videos in at this point.

For the record, I'm just a newb with a couple community college classes under my belt, but curious; he seems to be using what appears to be a needle gun on his welds when doing MIG. What does that do for him? Is it just to keep the real world crud at bay?

Post Thanks / Like

Watching him fix a drill rig problem. So as I think it through, I'm assuming the needle gun or scaler applied to the welds helps relieve stresses from the weld. Is that correct?

Post Thanks / Like

It's used to remove slag/scale and can help relieve stress on metals that tend to develop it...such as cast iron.

12. Likes Beefman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's using fluxcore and using the needle gun to descale. He's doing what works for him. Beats chipping hammer hands down. He could use a wire wheel but that doesn't get into corners and it's certainly safer than a powered wire wheel.
    I went out and bought a needle gun after watching him.
    Notice he keeps power tools like grinders down to a minimum. Smart.

14. Likes Beefman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sam....this is pretty much the way I fixed a busted boom on an excavator many years ago. He runs that 7018 pretty much the same way I do and have had success that way. I run flux core both self shielded and dual shield the same way and have no problems...keep it hot and tight and it all works out good in the end.

The guy is damn good at what he does thats for sure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Woznme View Post
    He's using fluxcore and using the needle gun to descale. He's doing what works for him. Beats chipping hammer hands down. He could use a wire wheel but that doesn't get into corners and it's certainly safer than a powered wire wheel.
    I went out and bought a needle gun after watching him.
    Notice he keeps power tools like grinders down to a minimum. Smart.
    Needle scalers and air chisels are the best thing since sliced bread. It breaks my heart if my compressor dont work or the needle scaler dont work...I get like a whiney little b&^ch if I cant use it. I took notice though his is very quiet compared to mine, I cant hear a compressor running either, maybe his welder has a built in air compressor. My compressor and needle scaler and air chisel makes for a very loud day

17. Likes Beefman, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe he runs a airpac unit. I like that nothing phases him. It’s just metal to be welded together. I also like how he says not a how to video but a how he does it video
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

Post Thanks / Like

Another one here that has watched him for a while now
    "Where's Stick man????????" - 7A749
    "SHHHHHH!! I sent him over to snag that MIC-4 while tbone wasn't looking!" - duaneb55
    "I have bought a few of Tbone's things unlike Stick-Man who helps himself" - TozziWelding
    "Stick-man"

Post Thanks / Like

Been checking his jobs on utube for a while. Good variety or repairs on just about any kind of equipment. Excavator boom mending, drill tooth replacement ..... Fix it right or don't touch it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beefman View Post
    Watching him fix a drill rig problem. So as I think it through, I'm assuming the needle gun or scaler applied to the welds helps relieve stresses from the weld. Is that correct?
    Get the Lincoln book. It is a wealth of weld knowledge. Mine is 1939 printing I think. I'm sure there are schools where one could learn more, but the information in this one little book is impressive. I'll figure out the exact title if I can find the book.

It comes down to hot metal shrinking. In every case, filler metal (the hottest metal in a weld) shrinks as it cools. Many welds are shaped to create tremendous stress as welded hot metal shrinks. Metal's ability to stretch as this tension is applied is part of what we call ductility. A minor bit of deforming while shrinking surprisingly adds strength, something about carbon molecules falling into spaces between steel molecules.

Read the book.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist