Thread: Stainless welding with Hobart 140

Post Thanks / Like

Stainless welding with Hobart 140

I am wanting to weld stainless with my Hobart Handler 140.

Mostly sheet, 16 ga or so. Recommendations on wire? I assume I'll need tri mix gas.

Occasionally I may want to do some thicker, maybe 1/8". Will this little welder do that ok?

My original plan was to get a TIG setup for stainless, but I haven't been able to find what I want in my price range so figured I'd work with what I have.
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Miller XMT 304 CC/CV toasted
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stainless welding with Hobart 140

You very well could probably get a TIG setup for the cost of TRI mix gas. Depending on the supplier it's about 10 times the cost of argon for same size fill

3. Likes Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes , your machine is capable of welding stainless. There are a couple of mixes, tri-mix, and there is another like an argon/oxygen mix too. I've had good luck with the Tri'mix doing 308 wire on 304 stainless. Its a different animal than mild steel or aluminum. Need to dial it in to keep the spatter down, and can't weld too far without warping. It probably won't be as pretty as a tig weld, so have some extra to practice on. Most of the time when I'm done migging stainless, I use sanding pads, and scotchbrite pads to clean it up to remove spatter, and discoloration.

good luck
    ';
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses.

A quick craigslist search shows up a Invertec V250-s near me for $600. Comes with a pedal and torch. I have no experience with TIG. What gas would I need for that?
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

Straight argon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, any other thoughts on the Invertec?
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

I've had an Invertec V250-s for at least 10 years, maybe more, and has been a great machine. Granted, I haven't used it in at least 2 years, but its been solid. They are nice machines, very smooth arc with 7018, and reasonably useful as a DC TIG on steel. Just be aware, there are some limitations in TIG mode. Its a lift start, and there is no shield gas shut off solenoid....you have to manually turn the shield gas on/off before and after welding. You'll definitely waste a decent amount of gas this way, but I *think* you can buy aftermarket solenoids. $600 is a decent deal with the torch and foot pedal, but $500 would be even better....just be aware parts are almost unobtainable, and when you can find them, EXPENSIVE! I think they were marketed towards pipeliners, running a TIG root with 7018 cap...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

9. Likes ArcTan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I've been looking for an Invertec V350 but haven't found any used ones. This 250 is tempting because it's so cheap.

Back to the original topic of this thread, will my Hobart Handler 140 do ok with thin sheet stainless? Or will I have blow through? I've welded a fair about of regular steel sheet with it but wondering how the stainless work in comparison.
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

If you can weld 16 ga. mild steel , with little more practice and patience you can weld 16 ga. stainless. What types of stainless are you welding, and what are you making with it. If you are making sheet metal guards. custom covers, adding gussets to a frame, or puttting in a low pressure irrigation, or blower pipe, MIG would be suitable. If you're doing railings, exhaust headers, commercial kitchen counters/equipment, TIG would be better. You can use either .024" or .030 wire for as thin as 18ga. they don't have listings for 20, or 24 ga. The 140 would easily be good for 11ga to 3/16" stainless with tri-mix gas (my last bottle of 80cf was about $85 before rental fees). Stainless wires are pretty easy to find in 2lb spools (308,316) and rarely have any feed problems. I have often found with stainless that it is easier to use a thicker( a few dollars more ) tube , pipe , plate, bar, than to fight with thinner cheaper materials. The machine is capable, and by the looks of stuff you posted, I think you will be able to do it. Youre just gonna need a bottle, a spool, and some practice stainless, and maybe some aluminum plate/angle.

HTH

Name:  hobrt140pic.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  98.5 KB

Name:  hobartpic2.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  104.9 KB
    Last edited by albrightree; 09-12-2021 at 01:03 PM.
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

12. Likes ArcTan, Insaneride liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed response!

To start I'll be doing some basic things, like a pan for my cider press. Then probably rocker panels on my car. I think it will all be 304 SS. Nothing needing to hold pressure.

I'll post some results once I've gotten things setup and run a few tests.

P.s. what would the aluminum be for?
    Glen

Hobart Champion 16
    Hobart Hefty CC/CV
    Hobart Handler 140
    Lotos LTP5000D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
    I've had an Invertec V250-s for at least 10 years, maybe more, and has been a great machine. Granted, I haven't used it in at least 2 years, but its been solid. They are nice machines, very smooth arc with 7018, and reasonably useful as a DC TIG on steel. Just be aware, there are some limitations in TIG mode. Its a lift start, and there is no shield gas shut off solenoid....you have to manually turn the shield gas on/off before and after welding. You'll definitely waste a decent amount of gas this way, but I *think* you can buy aftermarket solenoids. $600 is a decent deal with the torch and foot pedal, but $500 would be even better....just be aware parts are almost unobtainable, and when you can find them, EXPENSIVE! I think they were marketed towards pipeliners, running a TIG root with 7018 cap...someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I will ad that the 250s will do 6010 and 7010. Set Arc force to max for xx10. Your not going to do aluminum tig with a invertec250s tho. Stainless I don't know but ss has been the most difficult for me and honestly a Hobart 140. Dang. A 250s would be better for me.

I like manual gas for controlling post cooling/shielding the weld and conserve gas or use more gas for shielding. You just have to remember to turn it off if your used to a solenoid. My problem is forgetting to turn it on.
    Last edited by Insaneride; 09-13-2021 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I played with an ln22 (Lincoln). In pic cc. Seems to weld good if dialed in but cv is what you want for mig. The ln22 is fcaw only but works with invertec

The first pic is my settings from last welds. 6010 settings arc force set to max. Hot start off. For 7018 opposite settings max out hot start. Arc force and 7018; I don't know , does 7018 need arc force ?
    Any opinions for arc force 250s users? I don't think it's needed for 7018 with the invertec???

Edit: tig rig
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Insaneride; 09-12-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Using aluminum as backer plates ( chill bars ) help you from burning through, and reduce the amount of oxidation (sugaring) on the other side of the weld joint. Closed areas like boxes, tanks, and pipes may be dammed off and argon purged to prevent sugaring(oxidation) on the inside. Aluminum is cheaper than copper or graphite blocks, and come in sizes and shapes that are useful.

Regards
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

17. Likes ArcTan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to MIG 16ga stainless, especially with a small 140a machine. You'll have a horrible spattery time.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some 16 ga. 304 I've done with a my little Lincoln 210MP :
    Name:  IMG_1346.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  60.3 KB

This weld was backed by an aluminum angle with gas purge fitting.

Name:  IMG_1347.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  61.1 KB

These were my settings with 0.035" E308L Hobart wire. The voltage is up a bit because its 0.035" , but notice the amps also.

Name:  IMG_1351.jpg
Size:  81.1 KB

after wire brush clean up , was later followed by sanding, and scotch brite buffing.

Name:  IMG_1353.jpg
Size:  71.8 KB

This is my purge/chill angle with gas fitting, hooked to separate Bottle/regulator
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

20. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that purge/chill bar!
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

True, there is a bit of trade off when using short circuit mig on stainless. Clean up time, versus welding time. Mig usually puts less heat into the work, but that has a lot to do with the operator. When new to TIG welding people tend to go low and slow, and cause a lot of distortion. For the OP it may work on his limited scope of work until he gets a proper rig for TIG welding. Much of the machinery I work on that is stainless is mig welded(about half look like pulse) , and if its not a food surface a number 60 grit finish seems to be the norm. This stuff here was sanded, and the bead blasted (makes it hard to find the sanding marks.

Name:  stainlessweld1.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  126.4 KB

14 ga. leg welded to 16 ga. hopper 304.

Name:  stainlessweld2.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  218.4 KB

16 ga. to 16 ga. fillet 304
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP