+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unimig viper 185 vs razor 205ss

Post Thanks / Like

Unimig viper 185 vs razor 205ss

G'day.
    Looking at buying a multiprocess welder.
    I have narrowed it down to these 2 welders mainly trying to figure out if the razor is worth the extra $5-600 to me.

Does the razor using the euro connector for the tig torch mean you can use 4t or at least a foot pedal/switches torch to extinguish the arc? If so I'd say it would only be on/off as doesn't appear to be any slope settings and wouldn't have variable amp via the pedal.
    I noticed the viper 185 uses the dinse port for the tig torch so guessing can't be set up with a switch?
    This will be my first tig capable machine so it's all new to me.

Any insight would be great.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Unimig viper 185 vs razor 205ss

As far as I am aware Unimig is not sold here(Canada). At any rate I'm not familiar with them. The manuals are available at the following links. I didn't see any connection for remote amperage control. I'm guessing your in Australia and I'm not familiar with what is available there. I have a Lincoln 210 MP which has a separate ad-on connector for TIG. Miller also makes the Multimatic line that has remote current control and I believe one of those also does AC for aluminum with high frequency start. On the Unimig machines you've indicated, I would guess that selecting TIG opens the gas valve in the machine since the torch in the pictures appears to have a manual gas valve. To end your TIG weld I expect you have to snap it out. Hopefully someone with experience with these machines can give you more info. Welcome to the forum. One minor point to you have sufficient electrical installation to run either machine?
    https://unimig.com.au/product/viper-...-stick-welder/
    https://unimig.com.au/product/razor-...-stick-welder/
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

G'day

Yeah I'm in Australia.
    I have 15amp outlets so can run either.
    That's the
    Impression I was getting from the manuals too. I'm fine with no hf start or amp control on the go or at as not doing any alloy just mild and occasionally so.
    Was just hoping that a basic on/off maybe available to set up on them. Although guessing that on off wouldn't be any good without slope settings.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Firstly, I don't have either of those machines.

Both are MIGs that "also do" TIG. There are very few TIG specific features or parameters.

Neither has HF start (use lift start), a gas valve (control the gas manually with a valve on the torch) or a contactor (the electrode is always live). Neither seems to have foot pedal support.

Be aware that MIG/MAG (GMAW) and TIG use different gases.

The RAZOR series is a step up from the Viper in terms of features and duty cycle. Viper 10% and Razor 20% duty cycle.

Jack
    Last edited by Jack Ryan; 09-11-2021 at 09:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks.
    I'm defiantly aware that they use different gas, I have already priced up an E size of argon, my supplier is going to do it at the same price as my 93/5co2/2o2 mix.
    so if I go for the unimigs I may as well go for the viper, I don't foresee the need for the higher duty cycle, id rarely be using near its max amps any way.
    I have now been looking into either a cigweld 185lcd or a lincon 191c so more research and thinking to come.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist