+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Gots Big Nutz

Post Thanks / Like

I Gots Big Nutz

Some of the partz for the pipe stands arrived on Friday.............................

Name:  pipe stands1.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  222.8 KB 1" Acme threaded nutzzzzzz. It's all coming together I guess. Everything's goin' down the crapper, but still paddling

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I Gots Big Nutz

Whenever I order stuff from Mcmaster-Carr like that, I think of Wiley coyote ordering stuff from Acme Supply Co.
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

I've got some acme rod here that I keep meaning to get some nuts for. I just keep forgetting to measure the stuff to see what size it is. I'll look forward to seeing the stands you build.

Post Thanks / Like

Years ago I made some support rods ( I think they were about 1") to pull a building back together that was starting to spread. On the joints between the threaded rod and the plain rod I welded them together and slid a pipe over the joint and welded both ends of the pipe. Anywhere I was joining 2 threaded rods I used extended nuts.... similar to what you have but they are about 3" through. Everything was holding fine when we finally demolished the building.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

Post Thanks / Like

some of the nuts on the draglines we work on you got to make a wrench or socket for unless you feel like payin 300 bucks for a tool you might use once evry 30 years or so and they are big like maybe 6 inches across the flats or more. Then weld eyes on em and pull em with a comalong....makes for a long day for about 6 of em

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by old miner called Pop View Post
    some of the nuts on the draglines we work on you got to make a wrench or socket for unless you feel like payin 300 bucks for a tool you might use once evry 30 years or so and they are big like maybe 6 inches across the flats or more. Then weld eyes on em and pull em with a comalong....makes for a long day for about 6 of em
    That sounds like work! On the wind turbine towers, they hydraulically stretch the ~20ft long anchor bolts. Then you just spin the nut down by hand.

7. Likes 12V71, whtbaron, MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to say it out loud, but my nuts aren't that big.... the wrench I needed was around 2 3/16 for the gang bolts of the tandem disc. I made one for the fixed square end, and was in the process of making one for the hex end when I found the cylinder bar wrench from an old combine was close enough to jump on.
    Name:  IMG_6997.JPG
Views: 1105
Size:  341.4 KB
    Name:  IMG_6998.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  179.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_6995.JPG
Views: 1158
Size:  198.0 KB
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

9. Likes MinnesotaDave, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kb0thn View Post
    That sounds like work! On the wind turbine towers, they hydraulically stretch the ~20ft long anchor bolts. Then you just spin the nut down by hand.
    Seems to me they do something like that with concrete decking dont they? Rods inside the concrete and stretched out and locked in place before its poured Anyone ever here of it or do it? Seems to me they got a fancy name for it but I dont know what it is. I read article about a long long long time ago

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to me they do something like that with concrete decking dont they? Rods inside the concrete and stretched out and locked in place before its poured Anyone ever here of it or do it? Seems to me they got a fancy name for it but I dont know what it is. I read article about a long long long time ago
    "Prestressed"...........it's the stuff that comes down on your head in an earthquake, or collapses out there in Miami. Pure crap.

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-stressed concrete, sometimes they will re-stretch the rods after its poured. You don't want to lift those beams or panels in the center... they will basically explode. saw that when a farmer got some beams to build a bridge and his guys just chokered the first beam in the middle. OOPS.

Post Thanks / Like

They make a number of products with rebar under high tension. Concrete rail road ties first come to mind, bridge stringers also. Pre stressed is the term I have heard.
    An optimist is usually wrong, and when the unexpected happens is unprepared. A pessimist is usually right, when wrong, is delighted, and well prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

yeah prestressed is what runs in my mind as well.

saw it on a discovery demolition program. def not one to mess with as it goes with a bang!!

Post Thanks / Like

farmersamm... do you have a plan for your stands? Here is a design I got from somewhere on the web.

Name:  pipestand1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  jig.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  23.5 KB

16. Likes whtbaron, Shootr, farmersammm, VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Post-tensioning was used out here in AZ for a long time (maybe still do - not in that industry anymore) on residential home foundation slabs. Cables laid and concrete poured, then they were tensioned and locked off.

Name:  Post-Tension-Foundation-1.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  54.8 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

18. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Long time ago I worked on a high rise project doing the air conditioning install. The building was basically four corner concrete columns (which contained vent shafts in which all the service risers were housed) and a concrete centre core which contained the lift shafts and stair wells. The floor slabs were prestressed concrete which were suspended by cables from three perimeter spandrel beams at low, medium and high rise positions and were lowered into position by crane as the building rose up.

These spandrel beams were post stressed. They had cables about a foot in diameter running though them with threaded ends. I don't remember how the threaded ends were attached to the cables. Once in position they had thick flat washers put on the ends (about 1-1/2" thick plate) and nuts about 2 foot AF. They were tightened by hydraulic machines and you could see the sag in the beams disappearing while being tightened.

Funny thing was the builder (an American company) told me they had the technology to construct the building but the technology to demolish it did not yet exist. The building has a rated life span of 100 years so the hope was in a hundred years the technology would have been developed for when the need arose.

20. Likes whtbaron, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RCcrawler View Post
    farmersamm... do you have a plan for your stands? Here is a design I got from somewhere on the web.

Name:  pipestand1.jpg
Views: 998
Size:  61.4 KB
    Name:  jig.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  23.5 KB
    That's a nice looking setup. I've pretty much committed to making stands that mount on my saw horses. I'm working on pretty rough ground, and they give me more stability.

The way I'm figuring on building, there will be 62' of pipe involved in one assembly, with the remaining 38' attaching to the first assembly. 38' will be the minimum on the stands. At 15#/ft, that's a bit of weight. I think my little 3pt crane might have enough height, but I'm not sure. Might have to borrow a loader for a day or two. What with the loader going down,, I'm back to using equipment I used almost 25yrs ago

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    "Prestressed"...........it's the stuff that comes down on your head in an earthquake, or collapses out there in Miami. Pure crap.
    Your comment is 'pure crap'.

Prestressed concrete (both pre-tensioned and post-tensioned) concrete has been around since 1940's (in Europe, and in the North America since the 50's).

In an earthquake, a well-designed continuously post-tensioned concrete structure has more structural integrity than most other construction types.

And for the record, the Champlain South Tower collapse in Miami (June 23, 2021) was a badly maintained (and poorly designed/detailed) reinforced concrete 2-way slab, NOT a prestressed concrete slab system.
    LINCOLN
    Square Wave TIG 200
    Power MIG 210 MP
    Ranger 330 MPX

MILLER
    Thunderbolt AC/DC

HYPERTHERM
    Powermax 190C
    Powermax 45XP

HOUGAN
    HMD 130
    HMD 505

FEIN/SLUGGER
    14" COLD METAL CHOP SAW
    9" COLD METAL HAND-HELD SAW

23. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Pre-stressed concrete, sometimes they will re-stretch the rods after its poured. You don't want to lift those beams or panels in the center... they will basically explode. saw that when a farmer got some beams to build a bridge and his guys just chokered the first beam in the middle. OOPS.
    Post Tensioned

The materials used to post-tension concrete members are ultra-high-strength steel strands and bars. Horizontal applications (like beams, slabs, bridges, and foundations) typically employ strands. Walls, columns, and other vertical applications usually utilize bars. Steel strands used for post-tensioning typically have a tensile strength of 270,000 pounds per square inch (psi), are about 1/2 inch in diameter, and are stressed to a force of 33,000 pounds.
    Owner of Fast Leroy's Bar and Grill
    Liquor up Front, Poker in the Rear

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenuity View Post
    Your comment is 'pure crap'.

Prestressed concrete (both pre-tensioned and post-tensioned) concrete has been around since 1940's (in Europe, and in the North America since the 50's).

In an earthquake, a well-designed continuously post-tensioned concrete structure has more structural integrity than most other construction types.

And for the record, the Champlain South Tower collapse in Miami (June 23, 2021) was a badly maintained (and poorly designed/detailed) reinforced concrete 2-way slab, NOT a prestressed concrete slab system.
    https://www.structuremag.org/?p=1652...ssed%20members.

Post Thanks / Like

One might consider that most steel bridges are constructed of open members, thus less susceptible to water damage. Concrete, by its nature, if compromised, will allow water to collect in enclosed areas.........damaging any steel encased within that concrete.

Many steel bridges have been around for a very long time. Concrete bridges seem to have a much more finite lifespan.

https://www.irbnet.de/daten/iconda/CIB9869.pdf

https://www.cte-it.org/wp-content/up...ngs_CACRCS.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  pipe stands2.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  232.9 KB After a visit with the heart doc, headed over to Tulsa today to pick up my threaded rod from Grainger. They had the best price..........which is amazing. About 46 bucks for 6 feet. Also stopped by Harbor Freight, and swapped the 1 ton trolleys for 2 ton trolleys.

Name:  pipe stands3.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  208.8 KB Nice stuff......American made.

While at HF, I took a look at their 1 ton gantry crane. I was surprised to see that it had a 4" beam. That's on the ragged edge of good enough. To be honest.......if I had a regular shop with smooth floors, I'd probably use it, but keep the load to a reasonable amount. Oh Hell...........I probably wouldn't use it K'kins didn't think it looked too substantial either.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest nut I made was 4 ½" hydraulic ram

Dave

Some of the partz for the pipe stands arrived on Friday.............................

Name:  pipe stands1.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  222.8 KB 1" Acme threaded nutzzzzzz. It's all coming together I guess. Everything's goin' down the crapper, but still paddling

Post Thanks / Like

Seems that wasn't exactly the fault of prestressed concrete, so much as the fault of poor design and attempting to band-aid issues instead of addressing them properly. I followed that one fairly closely in the months following the collapse, and in that time, there was quite a bit of evidence found that suggested covering up issues for the sake of a schedule, as well as some conflicts of interest regarding designing/inspecting.
    Who is John Galt?

30. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Big nutz? I think not, Samm.

Name:  big nutz 1.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  68.1 KB

Name:  huge nutz 3.JPG
Views: 647
Size:  73.1 KB

Name:  big nutz 2.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  26.3 KB
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250, Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    Firepower TIG 160S (gave the TA 161 STL to the son)
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder

32. Likes whtbaron, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist