Thread: anyone have /had a Cigweld 185LCD

Post Thanks / Like

anyone have /had a Cigweld 185LCD

Hi,
    I have been looking at getting a multiprocess welder.

Have been looking at the Cigweld 185LCD as one of my options.

Anyone had any experience with these, are they reliable?
    How is the tig? I know it only dc and not HF. wont be welding alloy with it so no issues there.

So should i consider this machine or steer clear?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: anyone have /had a Cigweld 185LCD

Chinese entry level power source. You'd be getting what you paid for and wishing you did better.

Post Thanks / Like

Even for home use? I'm not a welder by trade. Will mostly be used while I restore an old scout and just general fab work at home.
    I only really have a budget of approx 1000aud

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The bits of steel you're wanting to fab together don't know if they're at home or at work.
    What if the bamboo pcb doesn't do a complete rectification job and you get a weird arc causing porosity or nuisance performance? What if plastic parts cause frustration every time you use it?
    So is your first purchase criteria lowest price and further down the list is reliable performance?
    I ask these questions because I went down your path a long time ago and learned the value of buy once cry once. And that was with a cigweld entry level inverter.

Post Thanks / Like

Cigweld make very good professional power sources that cost megabux. I tried to convince myself that their entry level power sources somehow had the same quality for a fraction of the price.

I'm happy to share my experience with you, but don't ask me for alternative recommendations as I've been a top of the line one eyed Miller owner ever since and wouldn't consider anything else.
    Last edited by Woznme; 4 Weeks Ago at 05:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

OK fair enough.
    I understand my price range isn't going to buy the best welder but hoping to be able to pick up something decent.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the info. After a lot of research and advice for ALOT of people I have bought a unimig viper 185.
    Got the package that came with with tig, mig, and stick torches. 5kg mig wire, umimig chaos helmet, gloves, mig stater kit and reg/flow meter.
    All for $875 plus bought it a grand opening so also got $100 dollars to spend in store which got me some tig torch spares and filler wire, etc.

Only tried a few practice welds with the tog and mig and so far very happy. Seems a lot smoother then dads old mig.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's a better choice than your first one plus you got all the extras with it. Also the unimig models tend to hang around alot longer than cigweld entry level boxes. After a year or two they're discontinued.