+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Onan motor won't start on Champion 16 welder

Post Thanks / Like

Onan motor won't start on Champion 16 welder

Bought this unit last early spring

Onan model #1216G-1/11199E

Had some issues, put a new coil on it. Ran fine till about 3 weeks ago. Would start, run a few minutes then quit. Sometimes would start back up and would run fine. Sometimes would have to wait 15-20 minutes and it would start up and run fine

Now it won't start. We replaced the fuel pump with an electric one. The vacuum style wouldn't keep the bowl full. Now we have enough fuel. Did run for 30 seconds earlier today, now nothing again

Thinking the mag is not producing enough power consistently, but not sure

Any idea's out there

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Onan motor won't start on Champion 16 welder

This is going to sound stupid, but did you try changing the spark plug? I had a pressure washer do the same thing. Spark plug looked fine, but I had tried everything else and my shop had a bunch of running engines with proven spark plugs in them. Wouldn't you know... the problem went away with a new plug. A couple years later, a buddy brought me a lawnmower with the same issue - I looked like a genius.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a fuel line on my on an that goes from the pump to the carb. It has a tight turn and a size change. It cracked and caused me starting problems for a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just the basics:
    Air, fuel, spark, and compression.
    Are the intake and filter unobstructed?
    Is the carb functioning well? (No clogged jets, adequately function float, etc.) Fuel lines, tank, and filter unobstructed?
    Are you getting spark? You can test this yourself with a screwdriver (you will be the spark detector in this case) or with a multimeter. Have you inspected the condition of your spark plug?
    Compression, if you have a tester, pull your spark plug and crank the engine over 5 times, see what the reading is. If it's too low, add some engine oil to the cylinder. If compression improves after adding oil, your piston-ring-cylinder seal is worn, if it doesn't, it's probably a burnt valve.
    Last edited by Carbon-Arc; 09-17-2021 at 02:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sedgehammer View Post

Had some issues, put a new coil on it. Ran fine till about 3 weeks ago. Would start, run a few minutes then quit. Sometimes would start back up and would run fine. Sometimes would have to wait 15-20 minutes and it would start up and run fine

Now it won't start. We replaced the fuel pump with an electric one. The vacuum style wouldn't keep the bowl full. Now we have enough fuel. Did run for 30 seconds earlier today, now nothing again

Any idea's out there
    Sure the plugs didn't get wet maybe carb is not right.

Post Thanks / Like

How old is the gas?,, Ethanol fuel gets kinda hard to start after a few months,,
    and ,, after a year,, it can be down right miserable to start some engines ,, just because of the age of the fuel,,,

Post Thanks / Like

Old fuel is always an issue. I add stabil to all my fuel. Sometimes I remove air cleaner and spray ether into carb for an extra kick start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I found engines that sitting over may gas tank and carburetor clean.
    I drain my tanks and carburetor after each use (less cleaning)

FYI 2 cycle engines just case of spark plugs or a sandblast

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sedgehammer View Post

Any idea's out there

Post Thanks / Like

Seafoam for me.

Seafoam is also a great fuel stabilizer. I typically add a little more than recommended, about 1.5 oz per gallon. instructions on Can recommend 1 oz/cap-full per gallon.

It does wonders for carbed and smaller engines that sit long periods of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for your replies. we were very thorough in checking everything. It was the ignition module. We replaced that and the exciter ring. runs fine now

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist