Thread: (very) First project: miter jig

Post Thanks / Like

(very) First project: miter jig

Very first time joining 2 pieces of steel.The first go I botched it good enough that I decided to cut / grind it back apart and try again.

So, I know it's ugly. The thing is, I been laying down beads on coupons(?) and was feeling pretty good. Joining 2 pieces of steel together proved to be different. I learned a ton just melting wire on pieces of metal, but I learned 2 tons trying to make one piece out of 2.

I Am So Stoked!

Never give up!

The idea came from here https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/706897-DIY-miter-jig

Name:  jig1.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  289.2 KB

Obviously I'm not done yet.

Name:  job1.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  304.1 KB

Other side.

Name:  jig2.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  143.9 KB

So, just today, I picked up this table. It used to be a radial arm saw except the saw part quit working and no parts.

I got it for free and it will eventually be a small welding table / cart(?) on casters.

Name:  table1.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  212.0 KB

Just for completeness, This is the rest of my side of the garage.

Name:  tools.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  196.6 KB

p.s. I know my bench is a mess, get over it!
    Titanium MIG 170

2. Likes Shootr, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (very) First project: miter jig

I've seen worse.

The one thing you have to ask yourself..............why didn't you make it better? Keep at it till it was perfect. Do that, and you have the fire in ya.

This isn't a rebuke, it's just a nudge to do better.

Post Thanks / Like

There is nobody that's so unskilled that they can't do a serviceable weld. They teach this stuff to kids in the Service. I think you have it in you, just take the time to bring it out.

Post Thanks / Like

You have the interest, so take it one step further. Practice a lot until you're happy with what you see.

Meanwhile............I gott go roll out a bale of WEEDS to the gurls............Gawd help me.........they will turn back to you, standing around the bale, and moo like a foghorn if it's not to their liking.

Post Thanks / Like

They're eating it, so let's talk welding.

You're on your way, keep at it, and you'll eventually love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Good job!

I'm not a big fan of "padding beads" for the general hobbyist weldor after the very beginning learn to press the trigger and move your arm phase.

If you're a pro, you already found what most are looking for and know what you're after when padding beads (most pros I know don't really practice save for a pre run to dial in your settings, this includes new procedures or ones that you haven't done in a long time. I know what the you-tube videos claim)

There are so many factors that go into making and repairing things, and learning to work with real world variable conditions (weird angles approaches, weird material combinations, welds moving!, corners moving!, etc etc etc) is where the ART of welding/fabricating lies IMO. Even learning to take welded/solid pieces apart without destroying them is a big learning curve.

Just about anyone could learn to lay a near perfect bead on two coupons on a bench. I love welding because of the things it allows me to make and repair - I don't think I would just sit and lay beads on a coupon for fun for more than 2 minutes a month.

Once you get a chance to make something a little more complex you'll be at first frustrated by what you don't know, but amazed by what you learn.

Good job, and good luck!

How's that titanium welder? People seem to be very happy with theirs, but I've never tried one.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a reason the inside corners (top of the triangle) aren't welded together? It would be sturdier and I doubt you need that little sliver of space that's there now. If you're going to clamp tubing to it to weld a miter...Will this thin metal hold up well? It looks like 16 gauge? Trash day bed frames are a little thicker.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason it's open is for welding the outside corner.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    The reason it's open is for welding the outside corner.
    I'm talking about the inside corner of the jig (top of the air triangle in pic #3)...could be joined to reinforce the jig. Leaving it open makes it floppy.

Not harping on you, jbarks...just helping you make a better jig.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I mean. Weld in the solid red triangle. And cut on the red line to get rid of the excess on that leg. Next version: make from thicker bedframe angle if this one is too flimsy.

Name:  jig2.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  30.1 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Grinder and paint will make me the welder I ain't

13. Likes VaughnT, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Keep in mind that all angle iron has some internal corner radius, which may affect the ability for the project material to sit in flush with both faces of the angle.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still workin on it guys, sheesh!

This is as much a learning project as much as anything.

Name:  jig3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  88.0 KB
    Titanium MIG 170

16. Likes farmersammm, upand_at_them, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jbarks View Post
    I'm still workin on it guys, sheesh!

This is as much a learning project as much as anything.

Name:  jig3.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  88.0 KB
    Don't feel bad I gotta weld up a bunch of pipe in the near future, and I'll get my share of "suggestions" I can't fit pipe, I can't weld pipe, and I will probably never be good at it

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing about this design is that you might even be able to adjust the 90 if it didn't stay 90 after your welds. A punch and hammer in the middle of either brace can spread the metal a tiny amount, perhaps enough to bring it back to 90. Spreading the smaller brace will decrease the angle, and spreading the larger brace will increase it. May not work, but worth a shot if you do find it out of square. This is a technique for fixing a carpenter's framing square.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Don't feel bad I gotta weld up a bunch of pipe in the near future, and I'll get my share of "suggestions" I can't fit pipe, I can't weld pipe, and I will probably never be good at it
    After seein some of the stuf youve done Sam...you can do any
    damn thing you put your mind to. Give yourself some credit Sam, at least you aint afraid to get after it