+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Looking for Fronius TransSteel Users

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for Fronius TransSteel Users

I just read a Fronius vs HTP thread, here on the WWF, that's a couple of years old, so I was hoping to get some new thoughts on the Fronius TransSteel welder line.

I'm not sure whether or not it's cool to mention YouTube (YT) channels on the WWF, so I trust that it will suffice to write that I watched a "fabrication" guy on YT, who's usually fairly critical about welding machines, give the TransSteel 2200 a glowing review. Although I found it fairly obvious that he didn't get into welding thin aluminum (AL) with the Fronius 2200, I did manage to find out that it's not equipped with an AC function for TIG welding AL, which is an obvious downside for a multi-process machine that's at this price point.

If anyone has anything good or bad to say about the Fronius TransSteel line of products -- or another comparable machine that they think is better -- I'd love to read your words. We're on the verge of buying a new machine, so constructive thoughts about this would be much appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking for Fronius TransSteel Users

Have a look on mig-welding.co.uk for opinions.

I've never used one but they look like great machines, only downside is the proprietary connectors. Means you HAVE to use Fronius torches and consumables, which aren't cheap. Or you buy a horrendously overpriced adapter.

They have industrial grade duty cycles and build quality. There aren't many machines to compete exactly on capabilities with the TS2200. Maybe EWM. Miller, Kemppi and Esab offerings aren't as industrially built.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

sold my miller 211 and bought three fronius machines recently .one of which is the transsteel 2200. ive no plans ever going back to american brand welders to be honest. fronius gives you much more for your money if you ask me
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    fronius iwave 230i water cooled
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornchip View Post
    sold my miller 211 and bought three fronius machines recently .one of which is the transsteel 2200. ive no plans ever going back to american brand welders to be honest. fronius gives you much more for your money if you ask me
    I have a TransSteel 2200 mig/stick I really like it and I’m not certain but it was comparable in price to Miller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Lincoln and ITW have done a very good job at fighting off the Japanese (OTC mainly but some Sanrex too) and Euro machines ( Kemppi, Lorch and Fronius mainly ) that are far superior in build, fit, finish and performance. In my opinion they are a few years behind trying to compete with these machines with Mexican, Chinese and Italian products that are Lincoln, ESAB and ITW.
    ( Some ESAB crap is Swedish technology but still a ways behind all mentioned in quality and durability for certain )
    Now that Fronius is offering top notch equipment at USA prices, The Red, Blue and Yeller are scrambling. Exciting stuff in my book.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

6. Likes Munkul, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The regional manager for Fronius Canada called me last week after I had a tech help me with a setup question over the phone.

He gave me a brief overview of Fronius’ plans for Canadian sales and service adding that following 2022 Fab Tech in Toronto he would like to drop by with the service tech for my area and introduce themselves.

I’m impressed

:

Post Thanks / Like

Just what you need is welder that needs Tech Support.

Even my wife does 🖥 not need to call computer tech support

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The regional manager for Fronius Canada called me last week after I had a tech help me with a setup question over the phone.

He gave me a brief overview of Fronius’ plans for Canadian sales and service adding that following 2022 Fab Tech in Toronto he would like to drop by with the service tech for my area and introduce themselves.

I’m impressed

Post Thanks / Like

thats why i got rid of my miller and went to all fronius machines. millers are decent but i like what fronius is doing. hek, even the accesories are top notch stuff. not cheap *** stamped steel. quick connect power plug and water lines. free software updates. all their machines have alot of adjustability in the weld paramaters as well.
    one other thing that didnt sit well with me is some of the miller and lincoln arent even usa made anymore. just assembled here ,likely with china components im sure. no thanks.
    i just learned of fronius not long ago. other wise i probly would of bought thier machines years ago
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

Bells and Whistle cost a lot and does nothing for welding.
    For mig/Fluxcore You have two adjustments voltage and wire speed.
    Stick welding it is one amperage.

You can not see the voltage or amperage meter as you are welding

Dave

thats why i got rid of my miller and went to all fronius machines. millers are decent but i like what fronius is doing. hek, even the accesories are top notch stuff. not cheap *** stamped steel. quick connect power plug and water lines. free software updates. all their machines have alot of adjustability in the weld paramaters as well.
    one other thing that didnt sit well with me is some of the miller and lincoln arent even usa made anymore. just assembled here ,likely with china components im sure. no thanks.
    i just learned of fronius not long ago. other wise i probly would of bought thier machines years ago

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Bells and Whistle cost a lot and does nothing for welding.
    For mig/Fluxcore You have two adjustments voltage and wire speed.
    Stick welding it is one amperage.

You can not see the voltage or amperage meter as you are welding

Dave

i know what your paying for. a high end machine with high end construction and conponents. high end accessories like heavy duty brass work clamp and proffesional qaulity gun , not cheesy stamp steel clamp and fisher price gun , like nearly every other company gives you. free software upgrades , not expensive after the fact like other companies i wont mention. duty cycles that beat the tar out of the competion. other features like mig weld aluminum from the standard gun ,not a bulky pain in the neck spool gun that has to be purchased seperate for $500. just to name a few things
    believe me i know what your paying for.
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

heres good video on the transpocket. this is what your paying for with fronius. love em or hate em ,i dont care but the machines speak for themselves

hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

13. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think most here either have thd computer screen on welder or a chart.
    When start you had two knob and paper 📃 close welder you write your setting in. A update was a pencil ✏.

Never had a computer problem or down internet waiting to weld.
    Just pickup the stinger or gun and start welding.

I had and work with computers since the 1970's. I do not need to call tech support I fix computer problems myself.
    But when comes to welding keep computers 🖥 out of the two knob. All want to do is weld maybe need to turn a knob or two.

Dave

i know what your paying for. a high end machine with high end construction and conponents. high end accessories like heavy duty brass work clamp and proffesional qaulity gun , not cheesy stamp steel clamp and fisher price gun , like nearly every other company gives you. free software upgrades , not expensive after the fact like other companies i wont mention. duty cycles that beat the tar out of the competion. other features like mig weld aluminum from the standard gun ,not a bulky pain in the neck spool gun that has to be purchased seperate for $500. just to name a few things
    believe me i know what your paying for.

Post Thanks / Like

you keep blabbering about computer screens so i guess you only like stone age crap machines with hammer and chisel for writing notes. ive had good experience with electronics on modern high end machines. trailblazer mounted on the work truck has been outside 24/7 in rain, snow ,wind ,sun and its "computer screen" as you call it still works fine. good day sir
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

I totally get the old school manual setup machines. when I was 1st introduced to welding all of the equipment was a coarse and fine adjustment taps and the only pot was the wire speed. Early 80's.Nothing really changed much for 10-15 years and then there were a few that offered a voltage pot and wire speed pot and they called it easier to set. It really wasn't that much easier. Then they came out with digital readouts with the actual parameter sheets that showed actual Volts and wire IPM's. Most thought that was the bomb because you could get the wire parameters from the manufacturers and supposedly tune right in. Fact was you still had to fine tune by ear or visual to get it set right to match your exact application. This is an art that many never perfected. Then the younger folks were coming in to the business with gaming and computer savvy backgrounds and they tended to drive even the welding equipment forward into the modern age of Pulse, Twin Pulse, Square Wave and Triangle Wave Synergic Function etc. I do enjoy the modern tech of the new futuristic equipment but I also get great pleasure running simple stick electrodes. I'm just glad that with all of the space age things the welders do now days that they still offer a Manual Mode for those who can still tune the baby in to make it sing. All good.
    Thermal Arc 320SP ( Lorch )
    Cobra Pythons
    Thermal Arc 300 AC/DC ( Sanrex )
    ESAB 301i AC/DC ( Lorch )
    Thermal Arc 161STL ( WTL )
    Thermal Arc 190S ( Sanrex )
    Cut Master 82, 42. Cut45 ( WTL )
    Victor Gas Apps.
    Boxes and boxes of welding crap.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 2700 after needing to replace a second Miller 211 in four years. Fronius knocks it out of the part not just with fancy gee-whiz computer features but also with just the nuts and bolts stuff that make the unit more reliable and easier to use.

Drive roller tension adjustment is by far the best out there right now in the class.
    Drive rollers are color coded so you can quickly identify the size.
    Fans don't run unless the unit needs cooling, and there is a filter on the intake to keep crud out of the insides.
    Spool compartment door latches lock in the up position, and there is a light built in to the compartment.
    Window so you can see how much wire is left without opening up the door.
    Run larger spools of wire than other machines in their class.
    Feed aluminum through the whip, do they even offer a spoolgun?
    Tool-less changing of guns. The connector that they use also is designed to allow you to pull around your welding cart by the whip.
    Super high quality ground clamp with heavy gauge wire.
    Thick sheet metal, sturdy construction. What is plastic on their machines is all super high quality and bolted into the metal frames.

Those are all things that just make Fronius machines nicer to use and I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. If you open one up, the quality and attention to detail on the insides is even more impressive. Items that are likely to require service are easily accessible and repairable.

18. Likes Munkul, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

you missed a few things. gun whip is longer than other competitors. free software updates. water cooler unit is smaller in size and is attached to the machine eliminating any additional wire connection. probly even more things that havent been mentioned im sure
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

OP UPDATE:

We ended up purchasing a new HTP ProPulse 220 MTS during a sale period in late-2021. As an old farmer who was brought up on stick, I've enjoyed using/learning the HTP machine, but I do have to admit that welding thicker (0.5") mild steel has been a challenge. Yeah, we got the job done via multiple passes, but the grinding involved made it less than "enjoyable." If we had the resources, I believe we would either search for a used Fronius machine in the 300A range or, perhaps, try to find a used HTP ProPulse 300.

Post Thanks / Like

I recently was in the market for a new tig machine for my business, took alot of back and forth but decided on the iwave 230 tig package. I have to say its an extremely proficient machine. I do alot of tig pipe in plants etc and its arc characteristics are spot on. One area where i feel fronius is severely lacking for canada/states is the lower amperage machines in that 220/230 class anything over that and your stuck with a 3 phase machine which almost noone runs as its extremely expensive. Thats one huge downfall of this iwave 230 i bought… it was right on the bare minimum of my voltage requirements, tig/stick is fine but on the aluminum side its almost not enough. It was. Tough decision but decided the cost savings between a dynasty and the fronius would out weigh the higher amp capability.

So iam onto my next purchase soon which will be to replace my miller 252 which has been a fantastic machine, i absolutely run this thing into the ground on large bucket/heavy equipment projects running dual shield around 27-28 volts. Whats got me wondering is can the transsteel 2200 handle this sort of abuse or will it be a “just barely enough to get by” situation.

I think fronius has an amazing product but if they want to really enter the market and be stronger they need to enhance there input voltages for higher amp machines. I can get a 400 amp miller and run it on 220/230v

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with you about the Fronius “input voltages”

If you are already pleased with the brand, why not get the Transteel 2700 and not worry about borderline capabilities.
    :

23. Likes metalman21 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i think most of the customers are outside the usa where 3p is common. im sure eventually theyll convert more machines to 1p. but ya i hear ya about 3p. 2200 and 2700 both have free aluminum mig guns included until the end of the month i believe. got all my machines from shopweldingsupplies. 2700 is a more heavy duty unit than 2200 (drive system etc) but unless you run it on 3p it still only has the same power output as 2200
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

Post Thanks / Like

yea i had a close look at the 2700, but again the limiting factor is the only machine you can get is the 2200 to run on single phase. The 2700 seems like it would fit the bill well but i just cant run the bloody thing. I may reach out to our fronius rep to see what might be on the horizon there. Because i do like the brand and their capabilities

26. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pressure_Welder View Post
    yea i had a close look at the 2700, but again the limiting factor is the only machine you can get is the 2200 to run on single phase. The 2700 seems like it would fit the bill well but i just cant run the bloody thing. I may reach out to our fronius rep to see what might be on the horizon there. Because i do like the brand and their capabilities

no the 2700 runs on 1p or 3p. it just doesnt have any more output than 2200 unless you run it on 3p. it also holds 33lb spools if im not mistaken. and heavier duty drive system with 4 rollers

looked at the manual it can hold 44lb 12in spools
    Last edited by cornchip; 12-22-2023 at 01:20 PM.
    hypertherm powermax 30xp
    fronius transpocket 180
    fronius transsteel 2200
    hobart handler 100

28. Likes whtbaron liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist