+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fixing up an old trailer

Post Thanks / Like

Fixing up an old trailer

I had posted up on this trailer a few years back when i originally got it. Rebuilding the neck and all that. Its been a great trailer. but after multiple years the dot man finally got me on a different piece of equipment 800 in fines and a misdemeanor on the business, non cdl driver wth a pickup and dually trailer, Was the big one. 3 guys now have class A cdl licenses so its time to get it all equipment legal again. And i have to worry about my guys leaving to go get trucking jobs. Lol . I’m switching it to hydraulic over electric drum brakes. I did one other trailer that way seems way smoother. Dont know how much maintenance will be required. Replacing the rub rail and paint. Getting quotes on new timbers for the deck. Once its all done trailer should be good for another 4-5 years
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

2. Likes whtbaron, geezer, _Weldman_, And256 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fixing up an old trailer

Makes my 12 and 18ft builds look like hot wheels. Good thread with lots of work to keep it interesting..
    Last edited by geezer; 09-15-2021 at 10:28 PM. Reason: correct content
    Geezer
    Power Mig 255C
    185 TIG
    Blue 175 MIG
    Ranger 8 Kohler 20HP
    1974 5K Lincoln/Wisconsin Powered (Cherry)
    Victor/Harris O/A
    K 487 Spool Gun

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy all the trailer builds Im needing a bumper pull trailer and seriously considering building one never thought i would say that. there is nothing available new and the prices and wait times are horrendous. My old goosenecks that i bought brand new in 05 through 07 are worth more at auction than i paid originally. I dont know if its permanent or a quirk but it makes it hard to buy a used trailer.
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post Thanks / Like

If you make a new trailer, you'll just about keel over when you see the bid list on the steel.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking at building something like these http://www.monarchtrailers.com/wp-co...chure-2019.jpg of course their reviews are horrible but
    with the trussed beam rather than wide flange beam I know its a lot more welding but it seams like it could be way more ridged for the same weight.

7. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

got the trailer painted last time I'm ever painting without pressurized air. wore the normal mask made myself sick, lifted it up to do all the underside painting its a 20 foot paint job looks good from 20'. now it's time to start reinstalling the deck and new brakes. I like the hydraulic brakes on the other trailer so we are going that route. all the elm bugs liked the fresh paint so 100s of bugs stuck in the paint o well least it will look better for dot

9. Likes 12V71, _Weldman_, farmersammm, And256 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Efff those Effing box elder bugs !!!!!!!! They ruined the very expensive Sherwin Williams Epoxy floor paint job in my shop a few years ago. I will never attempt to paint anything again in September and October.

That trailer refurb looks like a ton of work. Would do it for my own, but doesn't look like you can make a profit from refurbing and flipping trailers ? I sometimes see damaged enclosed trailers for pennies on the dollar and dream of fixing them and reselling, but after thinking long and hard, I realize I could make more stocking shelves at Walmart.
    Last edited by bead-boy; 09-27-2021 at 10:00 PM.
    Century buzzbox that I learned on 40+ years ago (was Dad's)
    Crappy Century 110volt mig 70 amp pigeon pooper.
    Lincoln Idealarc TIG-300

11. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bead-boy View Post
    Efff those Effing box elder bugs !!!!!!!! They ruined the very expensive Sherwin Williams Epoxy floor paint job in my shop a few years ago. I will never attempt to paint anything again in September and October.

That trailer refurb looks like a ton of work. Would do it for my own, but doesn't look like you can make a profit from refurbing and flipping trailers ? I sometimes see damaged enclosed trailers for pennies on the dollar and dream of fixing them and reselling, but after thinking long and hard, I realize I could make more stocking shelves at Walmart.
    You speak of box elder bugs. Until a few yrs ago I had a box elder tree and the neighbor had one too. I got to noticing in the fall my tree would get covered with the bugs, I mean the trunk would be black with them. I did some research and found box elders are male or female and, get this, the male tree makes all the seeds so we had thousands of seedlings all over the place from our tree all summer and fall. I had it cut down and no more bugs either. Thought I'd pass this along. The bugs never got on the neighbor's female tree but he cut it down this spring due to wind damage to his house from large falling branches.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    You speak of box elder bugs. Until a few yrs ago I had a box elder tree and the neighbor had one too. I got to noticing in the fall my tree would get covered with the bugs, I mean the trunk would be black with them. I did some research and found box elders are male or female and, get this, the male tree makes all the seeds so we had thousands of seedlings all over the place from our tree all summer and fall. I had it cut down and no more bugs either. Thought I'd pass this along. The bugs never got on the neighbor's female tree but he cut it down this spring due to wind damage to his house from large falling branches.
    I've got about 85 acres of them... interspersed with popular, ash and oak.... want a job?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

14. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I too made myself sick painting that little deckover trailer back in 2014. I mean sick!!!!!!!!!!!! Thought I might have brain damage from it. Scared the crap out of me. I hit Ebay, and bought a positive pressure respirator, and to this day, I won't shoot one ounce of paint without using it.

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work. Thanks for sharing and posting. I will remember the two crane trailer pick for a "paint positioner."

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing better for lifting than having an ancient old detroit powered crane is having a more modern crane. But that little one doesnt have much of a lift capacity’. Especially that far out. Was going to post some finished pictures of the brake plumbing and actuator but didnt get them taken before put the deck back on.

Post Thanks / Like

here is the old trailer back in business only have a couple thousand miles on the brakes but so far its amazing how much smoother the trailer brakes come on I will see how long the controllers actually last under everyday use. probably shouldn't have put the bolts through the flange on the I beam but its done

20. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those bolts wont hurt a thing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist