+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What's the best wat to cut steel?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's the best wat to cut steel?

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I don't think I necessarily agree with LIS on the torque end of things. It may depend on what speed range you need/desire and your power transmission set up . Treadmills have been known to drag some fairly heavy loads at low speeds. But there are a couple of other things that I might consider. Is the motor totally enclosed? Is it a permanent magnet motor. I'm wondering about the collection of iron dust in/on the motor and/or if you can protect it or place it to avoid same. Just a thought or two..
    I never considered that the motor could get debris inside and tear up the motor. I never considered they should be sealed. Thanks for the heads up on that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    I never considered that the motor could get debris inside and tear up the motor. I never considered they should be sealed. Thanks for the heads up on that.
    Well if you have a motor that you got for free then there is not much you will loose if you kill the motor from dust except for your time fabricating the tool. You could always make a housing with some bushings that encases the motor to reduce the metal shavings from getting into the motor housing. Other options would be to have compressed air blowing on the belt just below where you are griding to direct the dust into some kind of metal dust collection or use both compressed air and a vacuum to keep the area clean Just a matter of how much time do you want to spend tinkering with it to get it to work just as planned. I still have yet to build a belt sander. I have way to many other things to do before I have free time to do that.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Well if you have a motor that you got for free then there is not much you will loose if you kill the motor from dust except for your time fabricating the tool. You could always make a housing with some bushings that encases the motor to reduce the metal shavings from getting into the motor housing. Other options would be to have compressed air blowing on the belt just below where you are griding to direct the dust into some kind of metal dust collection or use both compressed air and a vacuum to keep the area clean Just a matter of how much time do you want to spend tinkering with it to get it to work just as planned. I still have yet to build a belt sander. I have way to many other things to do before I have free time to do that.
    Thanks. I have a lot of free time at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

I find this saw works well for me. Not as fast as a band saw, But more accurate cuts.
    I bought this one at a farm auction for $250

Name:  P1000500.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  103.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post
    I find this saw works well for me. Not as fast as a band saw, But more accurate cuts.

That's a nice old saw. I saw one in a flea market but didn't even bother asking the guy what he wanted for it. I figured it was more than i had. It was huge and heavy looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Power hack saws work fine. I have 4 of them, none as new as the one pictured. Three have been motorized from flat belt drives. If one come up for sale near here they sell cheap. The one I use most often, my father bought new in the early to mid 1930's. The other 2 flat belt drives need some work to take the slop out of them. They are slower than some other methods but I set it up turn it on and go do other things while it cuts. The newest one a Racine will cut angles. Like MJD mentioned in another thread, if I were to find myself cutting 20 ga. I'd use a shear, a Beverly for curves and a straight shear for straight cuts.
    https://www.eastwood.com/throatless-...=google&wv=3.1
    https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00YNEXV5A?...EEQ%5Ejul21%5E
    ---Meltedmetal

7. Likes Lis2323, Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks great.
    Low cost blades
    You can make new blade from coil .

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Josey View Post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read through all the replys. My experience is I cut more with my 6" Metabo angle grinder with a cut off wheel than anything else. Second is the horizontal band saw, which is handy because it can be cutting while I'm doing something else.

I use the oxy/acl torch more than I use the plasma for cutting. The torch is a must for heating to shape also. IOW, for me the plasma is the least used cutting device.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart 140
    HTP 220 MTS
    Miller Legend AEAD 200LE Gas drive

10. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KenO View Post
    I didn't read through all the replys. My experience is I cut more with my 6" Metabo angle grinder with a cut off wheel than anything else. Second is the horizontal band saw, which is handy because it can be cutting while I'm doing something else.

I use the oxy/acl torch more than I use the plasma for cutting. The torch is a must for heating to shape also. IOW, for me the plasma is the least used cutting device.
    Thanks. I can see myself using the bandsaw a lot because its quiet. I plan on using the Plasma cutter a lot for pattern cutting sheet metal and thin plate. I would like to use a copy cutter or pantograph. I plan on trying the PrimeWeld CUT50DP. It has a 3 year warranty and only costs $400.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

I used my chop saw today. It seems to cut better than the last blade i had on it. Maybe diablo makes a good blade. The chop saw will get me by till i get a bandsaw. I cut 2" bar stock with it as well as some other sizes and it preformed satisfactory.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't "the best" for every situation but I just bought an Evolution S380CPS and have been very impressed with the accuracy and finish of the cuts. I have always wanted one to replace/augment my old Milwaukee abrasive chop saw. I finally decided to pull the trigger before tariffs, runaway inflation or Supply Chain collapse (or any combo of those) left me wanting.

14. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AFSOC View Post
    It isn't "the best" for every situation but I just bought an Evolution S380CPS and have been very impressed with the accuracy and finish of the cuts. I have always wanted one to replace/augment my old Milwaukee abrasive chop saw. I finally decided to pull the trigger before tariffs, runaway inflation or Supply Chain collapse (or any combo of those) left me wanting.
    Washout a doubt the evolution is hassle free and cuts good but its loud and throws metal shaving all over the place. I have hearing damage so I'm going with the quiet bandsaw, otherwise i would get the evolution too because Its faster and hassle free. A bandsaw you have to tune up and its much slower.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Washout a doubt the evolution is hassle free and cuts good but its loud and throws metal shaving all over the place. I have hearing damage so I'm going with the quiet bandsaw, otherwise i would get the evolution too because Its faster and hassle free. A bandsaw you have to tune up and its much slower.
    NOTHING is “hassle free”.

Ask anyone who realized too late their workpiece wasn’t securely clamped in the vise of their dry cut saw.

If you need to frequently “tune” your bandsaw something is wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

17. Likes Need Advice, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    NOTHING is “hassle free”.

Ask anyone who realized too late their workpiece wasn’t securely clamped in the vise of their dry cut saw.

If you need to frequently “tune” your bandsaw something is wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Tune up your bandsaw ??
    My HF 4x6 is old old. All I ever did was replace motor. It's still gets used for small stuff.
    My ELLIS 1600 is 5 years old. I replaced blade, that's it.
    Set material in bandsaw saw and do something else ,close by, while it's cutting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Likes Need Advice liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist