+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Post Thanks / Like

HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

I am thinking of buying a HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good? Does it cut straight? Any issues that i should know of? What are the best blades to use? What TPI for cutting mild steel? Whats the best brand blade?
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-17-2021 at 06:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

I had a Baleigh 4x6 first and I couldn't make the thing cut straight to save my life. I bought it used and it was just too used abused. I then bought a new one from Harbor Freight with a coupon and it cost me a shade over $200. I LOVE IT. It needed some blade guide bearing adjustment right out of the box, and the blade tension needed adjustment, but other than that, it cuts pretty darned straight. You have to use the correct blade for the job (correct teeth per inch) and you have to change blades when it gets dull or it won't cut straight at all. But using the Harbor Freight brand blades I have been really satisfied. YMMV, but for me it has worked out well.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    I had a Baleigh 4x6 first and I couldn't make the thing cut straight to save my life. I bought it used and it was just too used abused. I then bought a new one from Harbor Freight with a coupon and it cost me a shade over $200. I LOVE IT. It needed some blade guide bearing adjustment right out of the box, and the blade tension needed adjustment, but other than that, it cuts pretty darned straight. You have to use the correct blade for the job (correct teeth per inch) and you have to change blades when it gets dull or it won't cut straight at all. But using the Harbor Freight brand blades I have been really satisfied. YMMV, but for me it has worked out well.
    Sounds great. Thanks for the reply.

Post Thanks / Like

I use one and also love it. Make angle jigs for clamping, and get a good blade after you wear out the stock blade.

It's not the fastest (unless doing gang cuts) but it cuts relatively quiet, fast, and clean, and cuts very accurately. All the chips end up in a nice little area ready to be cleaned up.

It's hard to beat a vertical bandsaw for detail metal cutting and fast little adjustments. I use my portaband in a simple stand (handles fit into hooks on the stand), but same idea.

Set it and forget it - you can basically start the cut and walk away.

Used to be a REALLY good deal with the right coupons, but might still be the best deal in town.
    Last edited by SlowBlues; 09-17-2021 at 07:14 PM.

5. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I use one and also love it. Make angle jigs for clamping, and get a good blade after you wear out the stock blade.

It's not the fastest (unless doing gang cuts) but it cuts relatively quiet, fast, and clean, and cuts very accurately. All the chips end up in a nice little area ready to be cleaned up.

It's hard to beat a vertical bandsaw for detail metal cutting and fast little adjustments. I use my portaband in a simple stand (handles fit into hooks on the stand), but same idea.

Set it and forget it - you can basically start the cut and walk away.

Used to be a REALLY good deal with the right coupons, but might still be the best deal in town.
    Yes i was thinking about turning my handheld bandsaw into a vertical bandsaw.

Post Thanks / Like

It great small band saw.
    I have own 3 over 40 years
    I have one for small shop today I purchased in 2005.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    I am thinking of buying a HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good? Does it cut straight? Any issues that i should know of? What are the best blades to use? What TPI for cutting mild steel? Whats the best brand blade?

8. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    It great small band saw.
    I have own 3 over 40 years
    I have one for small shop today I purchased in 2005.

Dave
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

From your other thread, I believe this is a good solution for you. I had a used one I used for 4-5 years and was very satisfied. I sold it for more than I paid when I bought an old Kalamazoo saw.

The factory stand is a little light so I built a heavy duty one. Put a good bimetal blade on it and look up ways to tune and true it. You will be happy that it is quiet and clean. Pick a blade that has 3-4 teeth in the cut based on what you are cutting. I leave a 10-14 blade on mine.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

11. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

From your other thread, I believe this is a good solution for you
    It may be a BETTER solution than using a template and any other method of cutting. IMHO you don't want all your roses looking the same. So freehand cutting them on a vertical band saw may add just enough uniqueness to each piece. I would bet you will get pretty fast at cutting these freehand as well. You can cut down sheet steel into appropriate sized squares with a circular saw and a metal cutting blade, then free hand these on the band saw. Maybe even your current hand held band saw converted for vertical use with one of these SWAG off-road portaband tables. https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V10...ble-_p_64.html
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

I posted about my HF saw in your other post.
    Mine is still cutting well and was definitely worth the money.
    If you search, you'll see posts about bandsaw.
    This Femi saw is popular because of its mitering head. It's $600.00 but it should be considered.
    Many power tools are costly but it's an investment too.
    I bought an ELLIS 1600 finally, after debating on it for a couple years. That waiting cost me hundreds and now it's a lot more money.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_782..._00_0_000_2209

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    From your other thread, I believe this is a good solution for you. I had a used one I used for 4-5 years and was very satisfied. I sold it for more than I paid when I bought an old Kalamazoo saw.

The factory stand is a little light so I built a heavy duty one. Put a good bimetal blade on it and look up ways to tune and true it. You will be happy that it is quiet and clean. Pick a blade that has 3-4 teeth in the cut based on what you are cutting. I leave a 10-14 blade on mine.
    Thanks, i agree. I found some YouTube videos on adjusting this saw.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    It may be a BETTER solution than using a template and any other method of cutting. IMHO you don't want all your roses looking the same. So freehand cutting them on a vertical band saw may add just enough uniqueness to each piece. I would bet you will get pretty fast at cutting these freehand as well. You can cut down sheet steel into appropriate sized squares with a circular saw and a metal cutting blade, then free hand these on the band saw. Maybe even your current hand held band saw converted for vertical use with one of these SWAG off-road portaband tables. https://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-V10...ble-_p_64.html
    I saw that Swag bandsaw stand, i may get it or make my own. I was thinking also about using a bandsaw to cut out those rose blanks but i wasn't sure if it could cut the curves or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I posted about my HF saw in your other post.
    Mine is still cutting well and was definitely worth the money.
    If you search, you'll see posts about bandsaw.
    This Femi saw is popular because of its mitering head. It's $600.00 but it should be considered.
    Many power tools are costly but it's an investment too.
    I bought an ELLIS 1600 finally, after debating on it for a couple years. That waiting cost me hundreds and now it's a lot more money.

https://www.trick-tools.com/Femi_782..._00_0_000_2209

Thanks for the heads up, i'll check out your link.

Post Thanks / Like

HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

I saw that Swag bandsaw stand, i may get it or make my own. I was thinking also about using a bandsaw to cut out those rose blanks but i wasn't sure if it could cut the curves or not.
    I would definitely make my own stand for portaband. There's lots of members post with there version.
    Here's some posts.

https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...rtaband+stands

Last edited by BD1; 09-18-2021 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Another (but not necessarily practical) option would be keep an eye out for a wood bandsaw, and add speed reduction for metal cutting.

This is the cheap used Jet I picked up years ago....

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...1048eb751c.jpg

This photo shows the reduction gearbox I added.

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...4270fda3d7.jpg

This is a vintage Delta bench mount I inherited from my uncle which is dedicated for cutting aluminum....

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...3fbdadff9a.jpg

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I would definitely make my own stand for portaband. There's lots of members post with there version.
    Here's some posts.

Thanks for the links, i'll check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Another (but not necessarily practical) option would be keep an eye out for a wood bandsaw, and add speed reduction for metal cutting.

This is a vintage Delta bench mount I inherited from my uncle which is dedicated for cutting aluminum....

That's what I would do before buying a porta band and the table. I still have my homemade stand with a Milwaukee saw but it's very limited. I picked up a 14" Rockwell band saw and it's night and day compared to the porta band on a stand. Much larger table and cutting depth is the biggest difference. Another huge factor is on the Rockwell, I can lower the upper guide just over the work. Not only is having the kind close, much safer it's also much easier to maintain blade accuracy. Mine is the wood and metal cutting model but doing the low speed conversion is pretty easy to do and not overly expensive. With a new portable band saw and the swag table I'm guessing you would have 450-500$ or so in it. I know I could get a used 14" saw and purchase a new gear reducer and put it together for less than the 500$ and have a much more useful tool. With that being said, it's not a replacement for a good working horizontal band saw .

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have a wood bandsaw i thought about converting to metal cutting. I have a variable speed motor i was going to use for that purpose or a belt grinder/sander. I think the belt grinder might be the best use of that motor because a big belt grinder is expensive and i can build my own for about $200 to $300 dollars. Thanks for the links, i'll check them out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That's what I would do before buying a porta band and the table. I still have my homemade stand with a Milwaukee saw but it's very limited. I picked up a 14" Rockwell band saw and it's night and day compared to the porta band on a stand. Much larger table and cutting depth is the biggest difference. Another huge factor is on the Rockwell, I can lower the upper guide just over the work. Not only is having the kind close, much safer it's also much easier to maintain blade accuracy. Mine is the wood and metal cutting model but doing the low speed conversion is pretty easy to do and not overly expensive. With a new portable band saw and the swag table I'm guessing you would have 450-500$ or so in it. I know I could get a used 14" saw and purchase a new gear reducer and put it together for less than the 500$ and have a much more useful tool. With that being said, it's not a replacement for a good working horizontal band saw .
    I already have a porta band. I like the idea of having a small saw because my shop is small, but a large saw with a big table would be real nice.

Post Thanks / Like

This good saw it is California approved for green.
    Low cost in blades and keeps you young.

Best thing no batteries or power need.

Dave

I already have a porta band. I like the idea of having a small saw because my shop is small, but a large saw with a big table would be real nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

24. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This good saw it is California approved for green.
    Low cost in blades and keeps you young.

Best thing no batteries or power need.

Dave
    lol, i would probably want to turn it into a power hacksaw.

Post Thanks / Like

I have drawing on turning a hacksaw to power saw.
    The blades are so cheap and fits in a small workshop. But I went and purchased a 4x6 saw.

FYI I used torch till purchased the 4x6 saw.

Dave

lol, i would probably want to turn it into a power hacksaw.

Post Thanks / Like

I have drawing on turning a hacksaw to power saw.
    The blades are so cheap and fits in a small workshop. But I went and purchased a 4x6 saw.

FYI I used torch till purchased the 4x6 saw.

Dave
    Growing up on the farm I only used a hack saw and cutting torch

From 1983 to about 2000 I used a 14” abrasive chop saw

In 2000 I bought an import 7”x12” horizontal bandsaw.

Only recently did I purchase a Makita dry cut saw.

All tools have their pros and cons but I must say I can’t remember the last time I used my hacksaw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I have a variable speed motor i was going to use for that purpose or a belt grinder/sander. I think the belt grinder might be the best use of that motor because a big belt grinder is expensive and i can build my own for about $200 to $300 dollars. Thanks for the links, i'll check them out.
    I’m curious to know what variable speed motor you have.

:

Post Thanks / Like

When working in shop I had hacksaw hanging on rollaway. It save steps only used up to 1/2" round bars.
    Today I in my workshop I use a 4x6 saw.

Dave

Growing up on the farm I only used a hack saw and cutting torch

From 1983 to about 2000 I used a 14” abrasive chop saw

In 2000 I bought an import 7”x12” horizontal bandsaw.

Only recently did I purchase a Makita dry cut saw.

All tools have their pros and cons but I must say I can’t remember the last time I used my hacksaw.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist