+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Any vertical handsaw, even a portaband, will cut those curves pretty easily with the correct blade

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I have drawing on turning a hacksaw to power saw.
    The blades are so cheap and fits in a small workshop. But I went and purchased a 4x6 saw.

FYI I used torch till purchased the 4x6 saw.

Dave
    I use a grinder and reciprocating saw now but i think im going to get the bandsaw,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I’m curious to know what variable speed motor you have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My variable speed motor is a 2.5 HP treadmill motor. Its a DC motor. Its small compared to other 2HP motors so I'm wondering how durable it will be. It says its rated for HD use.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-18-2021 at 04:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Any vertical handsaw, even a portaband, will cut those curves pretty easily with the correct blade
    What kind of blade would i use for cutting curves?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    My variable speed motor is a 2.5 HP treadmill motor. Its a DC motor. Its small compared to other 2HP motors so I'm wondering how durable it will be. It says its rated for HD use.
    Its a treadmill motor. The “HD” most likely stands for heavy douche.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Its a treadmill motor. The “HD” most likely stands for heavy douche.

lol, thanks. Actually its rated at Continual use but i read somewhere that means its HD. If it wont work for a belt grinder it cost me nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I had one for years and had very few issues with it. It made 1,000's of cuts. I made a stand for mine because I had to move it around a lot and the stock stand would not take it. Look up some of my post under reebz or reebs. I posted modifications

Post Thanks / Like

HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    I had one for years and had very few issues with it. It made 1,000's of cuts. I made a stand for mine because I had to move it around a lot and the stock stand would not take it. Look up some of my post under reebz or reebs. I posted modifications
    If you’re (re)building an OEM stand consider making it higher as your back will thank you.

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...78ec44426c.jpg

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...3a31f7ef04.jpg

https://images.platforum.cloud/uploads/202...7418616fab.jpg

:

9. Likes Need Advice, Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bi-metal blade is better than the plain steel blade, but I think teeth per inch (TPI) may be more important. The ones at HF are just fine. You need to use an appropriate TPI for the thickness of material you want to cut. If it were me I would try to go with 18-24 TPI.
    Miller Multimatic 255

11. Likes Reebz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bi-metal blade is better than the plain steel blade, but I think teeth per inch (TPI) may be more important. The ones at HF are just fine. You need to use an appropriate TPI for the thickness of material you want to cut. If it were me I would try to go with 18-24 TPI.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    Nice. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Blade selection depends on thickness. 10-14 is a good general purpose, 14-18 tpi if your cutting really thin material. Anything finer,( higher number of teeth) is a waste of time and won't clear enough of a kerf for cutting curves. With a 1/2" wide blade, ( which your limited to with a HF 4x6" saw or a porta band) your limited in the minimum radius you can cut. About a 4" radius is the limit without relief cuts. The work around is to make relief cuts 90 degrees to the cut line. Spacing depending on the size of radius. For what you plan to do,( at least to my understanding) the 4x6 saw is about the perfect solution to what your cutting. Hole saws on a drill press is another way to make some tight radius cuts as well. I've cut out some parts that required a band saw, hole saw, belt grinder to shape outside and files to fine tune inside curves . A dedicated vertical saw really shines for that type of work as different width blades can be used. I've used a 10-14 tpi blade, 1/4" wide to do some pretty detailed cuts on 1/8" -1/4" material with my vertical saw. Lots of ways to do it. A jig saw with the material supported by 2" styrofoam works extremely well also

Post Thanks / Like

The OP stated in another thread he wants to cut 20 gauge sheet steel to make metal roses. I also suggested a jig saw. In a band saw I really do think he'll need the higher tooth count for such thing material

18. Likes CAVEMANN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

20 gauge I would cut with aviation snips as far as tighter curves go. If I wàs using the band saw I would use the 14-18 blade. Beverley type shear would be another option for that material.
    Miller xmt304, Miller S22 p12, Miier Maxstar SD, Miller 252 w 30A, Miller super32p12, Lincoln Ranger 9, Thermal Arc 181I with spoolgun, Hypertherm 10000 ,Smith torches. Esab 161lts miniarc.

20. Likes Meltedmetal liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    Blade selection depends on thickness. 10-14 is a good general purpose, 14-18 tpi if your cutting really thin material. Anything finer,( higher number of teeth) is a waste of time and won't clear enough of a kerf for cutting curves. With a 1/2" wide blade, ( which your limited to with a HF 4x6" saw or a porta band) your limited in the minimum radius you can cut. About a 4" radius is the limit without relief cuts. The work around is to make relief cuts 90 degrees to the cut line. Spacing depending on the size of radius. For what you plan to do,( at least to my understanding) the 4x6 saw is about the perfect solution to what your cutting. Hole saws on a drill press is another way to make some tight radius cuts as well. I've cut out some parts that required a band saw, hole saw, belt grinder to shape outside and files to fine tune inside curves . A dedicated vertical saw really shines for that type of work as different width blades can be used. I've used a 10-14 tpi blade, 1/4" wide to do some pretty detailed cuts on 1/8" -1/4" material with my vertical saw. Lots of ways to do it. A jig saw with the material supported by 2" styrofoam works extremely well also
    The OP stated in another thread he wants to cut 20 gauge sheet steel to make metal roses. I also suggested a jig saw. In a band saw I really do think he'll need the higher tooth count for such thing material
    Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    20 gauge I would cut with aviation snips as far as tighter curves go. If I wàs using the band saw I would use the 14-18 blade. Beverley type shear would be another option for that material.
    Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope for photo of new saw.

Dave

Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope for photo of new saw.

Dave
    It will be a while. I have house repairs I need to do first.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mind on home repairs handy saw for around the home too.

Dave

It will be a while. I have house repairs I need to do first.

25. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use my band saws for wood stuff all the time as well!

In vertical they're great for cutting out those odd shapes or angles, and in horizontal they make great big timber saws (will miter well too!).

A wood blade (6 tpi usually) will help but I never change it over. I just make sure all metal chips/shavings/filings are off the surface for wood that will be seen (or it will embed itself and cause rusting problems down the line).

27. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBlues View Post
    I use my band saws for wood stuff all the time as well!

In vertical they're great for cutting out those odd shapes or angles, and in horizontal they make great big timber saws (will miter well too!).

A wood blade (6 tpi usually) will help but I never change it over. I just make sure all metal chips/shavings/filings are off the surface for wood that will be seen (or it will embed itself and cause rusting problems down the line).
    Thanks. Do you play the blues? I like acoustic guitar blues but i dont have much of an ear, i cant even tune a guitar without an electronic tuner but i still like to pluck away on the guitar anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

I use mind on home repairs handy saw for around the home too.

Dave
    I'm excited about getting this saw but i have electrical and heating repairs i need to do first. I need a wire tracer so i can pinpoint a bad circuit, and i might need new wire as well. I had to change all the receptacles in my house which fixed one problem but i still have one bad circuit and I'm not sure why.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-21-2021 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm excited about getting this saw but i have electrical and heating repairs i need to do first. I need a wire tracer so i can pinpoint a bad circuit, and i might need new wire as well. I had to change all the receptacles in my house which fixed one problem but i still have one bad circuit and I'm not sure why.
    Depending on what is on the circuit, routing, and accessiblity, it maybe best to abandon and run new Romex or conduit to those locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Depending on what is on the circuit, routing, and accessiblity, it maybe best to abandon and run new Romex or conduit to those locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its not hard to run a new circuit in that location because i plan on doing some remodeling to the walls anyway.

32. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Conduit and gas lines saw works great

FYI I found replacing is faster that tracing. If one bad spot there a new bad spot tomorrow.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist