+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Conduit and gas lines saw works great

FYI I found replacing is faster that tracing. If one bad spot there a new bad spot tomorrow.
    That's true but it could just be as simple as a bad receptacle. Also tracing will help me map out the circuit if i need to run new wire. Im just a handy man, not an electrician. There are a few receptacles I haven't changed yet but I'm not sure if they are on the same circuit or not. I haven't changed the receptacles in one of the rooms because i use it for storage and its full of stuff which makes changing them difficult, and one is outside, I haven't checked that one yet either. My receptacles are old and many were bad and needed changed. I wonder if the breaker itself could be bad too. I doubt it but it may be possible i guess?. I just cant understand how a run of wire would be bad unless mice got in the walls and chewed it up. I do have a mice problem where i live, also raccoons, possum, skunks and groundhogs. One time i opened the cabinet door under my sink and saw a baby possum hissing at me. He got in through a hole in the floor where pipes come in. I fixed that problem. I have raccoons on my porch sometimes eating the cat food. I'll have to fix that problem too. Something chewed up my data cable outside for my internet. I dont know what did that. If i need to change a chewed up wire im thinking of using armored cable.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-22-2021 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: HF 4 in. x 6 in. Horizontal/Vertical Metal Cutting Band Saw. Is it any good?

This guy has a cool modification for tightening down the miter fence on his HF bandsaw. He has 7 other mod videos in a playlist for modifying and adjusting this bandsaw but so far this is the only one I've watched.

This guy also has HF bandsaw tune up videos. I haven't watched them yet either.

3. Likes acourtjester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a cool modification for quickly installing a saw table for vertical use without needing to bolt and unbolt the table.

Post Thanks / Like

When working in shop I had hacksaw hanging on rollaway. It save steps only used up to 1/2" round bars.
    Yeah. I have a hacksaw hanging on the wall right in front of the big vise.

It's quicker and simpler to grab that and get to work, for the smallest projects, instead of getting out the portable bandsaw or the angle grinder with cutoff wheel.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Yeah. I have a hacksaw hanging on the wall right in front of the big vise.

It's quicker and simpler to grab that and get to work, for the smallest projects, instead of getting out the portable bandsaw or the angle grinder with cutoff wheel.
    I had a HF 180 Mig. the only thing i didn't like was the cheap 6' torch. HTP sells better and longer torches for that welder. I was going to buy one but i ended up selling it because i needed money for home repairs, and i already had a Lincoln 180 that i bought used. I still have a HF stick welder that i like.

7. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    I had a HF 180 Mig. the only thing i didn't like was the cheap 6' torch. HTP sells better and longer torches for that welder. I was going to buy one but i ended up selling it because i needed money for home repairs, and i already had a Lincoln 180 that i bought used. I still have a HF stick welder that i like.

Yeah. My Mig-180 has every upgrade the first owner could think of. The HTP 10 ft torch you mentioned, heavier ground and power cables, a capacitor that can be switched in/out, a custom low-friction hub he machined for 10" reels, some other upgrades. It works great. The guy was obviously a hobbyist experimenter just playing with it, and he sold it for near nothing when he ran out of new projects for it and moved on to some new project. It looked new and may not have had more than a couple hours of use.

I doubt a welder from HF in that generation has a good expectation for long term reliability. But aside from that I think this is the equal of a pro-grade welder from the perspective of actually using it. Best $25 I ever spent! I'm happy with it.
    * Amico MIG-130A Flux, Dual Voltage. Truly portable!
    * HF MIG-180 with all the mods. Heavy.
    * Grizzly H8153 Stick/Tig 130/160.
    * Wards PowrKraft AC-230. Stick & carbon arc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by California View Post
    Yeah. My Mig-180 has every upgrade the first owner could think of. The HTP 10 ft torch you mentioned, heavier ground and power cables, a capacitor that can be switched in/out, a custom low-friction hub he machined for 10" reels, some other upgrades. It works great. The guy was obviously a hobbyist experimenter just playing with it, and he sold it for near nothing when he ran out of new projects for it and moved on to some new project. It looked new and may not have had more than a couple hours of use.

I doubt a welder from HF in that generation has a good expectation for long term reliability. But aside from that I think this is the equal of a pro-grade welder from the perspective of actually using it. Best $25 I ever spent! I'm happy with it.
    Wow, you got a good deal.

10. Likes California liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting those videos. I'll probably make a similar table for mine very soon. I've had my saw for a couple of years and use it all the time. If you make sure everything is adjusted well, it will cut straight. I use Morse brand blades in mine. A local store carries them and they are much better than any from HF. For the price, you really can't beat it. I have friends that have built tables for portabands, but I think that going with this saw was better for my work.

Post Thanks / Like

The 4x6 saw has been around since the 1972 before Harbor Freight.
    Harbor freight just change the color.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-S View Post
    Thanks for posting those videos. I'll probably make a similar table for mine very soon. I've had my saw for a couple of years and use it all the time. If you make sure everything is adjusted well, it will cut straight. I use Morse brand blades in mine. A local store carries them and they are much better than any from HF. For the price, you really can't beat it. I have friends that have built tables for portabands, but I think that going with this saw was better for my work.

Post Thanks / Like

The 4x6 saw has been around since the 1972 before Harbor Freight.
    Harbor freight just change the color.

Dave
    I bought mine for $115.00 when they had a 30% off coupon. It still cuts straight today. I replaced motor about 4 years ago.
    That’s when you could use coupons on tool boxes too.
    I bought two bottoms, two sides, and one top.
    This was at least 15 years ago. That’s when they only had the matte finish.
    Boxes were crazy cheap then. Glad I’m not buying now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have own 3 of 4x6 saws it is great saw.
    The first one in 1972 next in 1993 both when with sales of other tools. But we'll used by that time. The one have has less but I got that one in 2004.

In my shop I would set them by employees as the bigger saws was used 8 hours a day.

Today's saw is just for hobby use.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    I bought mine for $115.00 when they had a 30% off coupon. It still cuts straight today. I replaced motor about 4 years ago.
    That’s when you could use coupons on tool boxes too.
    I bought two bottoms, two sides, and one top.
    This was at least 15 years ago. That’s when they only had the matte finish.
    Boxes were crazy cheap then. Glad I’m not buying now.

Post Thanks / Like

I have own 3 of 4x6 saws it is great saw.
    The first one in 1972 next in 1993 both when with sales of other tools. But we'll used by that time. The one have has less but I got that one in 2004.

In my shop I would set them by employees as the bigger saws was used 8 hours a day.

Today's saw is just for hobby use.

Dave
    That's my first and still going. It's still used for small stuff.
    I bought an ELLIS 1600 about 5 years ago. Now that's a real saw.

Post Thanks / Like

My 4X6 is so old,,,,,,,,,,, (HOW OLD IS IT!!!!),,, that my saw was manufactured in the USA!!

It is perfect, but, almost never used,, because I have a 9X16 saw, also.

Actually, I carried the 9X16 outside last week, and sprayed it with Walmart Engine Degreaser, then hosed it off.
    I bought the 9X16 used in 2001, and that was the last time it had a "bath".
    The saw is SO big, that I emptied two cans of WD 40 on it after the water had dried, to protect the areas with no paint.

I bought the 4X6 used, about 1990.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist