+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help me choose a belt grinder and sander

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help me choose a belt grinder and sander

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    I'm not sure about this statement "There are good and bad in every design, so don't let perfection be the enemy of good enough."
    If you are building a tool for yourself to have for sometime to come, do it right. There is not shame in making changes to make it better.
    Now to the grinder I built a 2" X 60" belt grinder (maybe 1985) and used the heck out of it. It was simple 2-- 6" wheels and a vertical platen 2 HP motor loved it did great. About 2 years ago I moved to a 2" X 72" belt grinder, these things are so flexible, they have many grinding possibilities. Being able to adjust the angle of the grind and different optional attachments allows then to fit into many projects start to finish. I understand not everybody can afford or have the time to build one but if you do you will be happy you did. This is the Jeremy Schmidt design, I did make a few changes, I did CNC Plasma cut the custom shaped parts.
    Nice grinders. That's the thing that i noticed, 2x72 belt grinders are versatile. I saw knife makers use a surface grinding attachment for their 2x72.

Post Thanks / Like

Help me choose a belt grinder and sander

Perhaps at this stage of the game I wouldn’t get too caught up on horsepower.

My older Burr King 2”x48” is only 3/4 HP and if it was my only belt grinder I could get by just fine with it. Keeping in mind I’m not a pro or a knifemaker.

Also that Jet Vaughn T has would be ideal, especially if you found one used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

This eastwood belt grinder is cheap, its only $200, but i wonder if it will bog down under a load.

https://www.eastwood.com/1-2hp-8in-c...t+sander+combo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Perhaps at this stage of the game I wouldn’t get too caught up on horsepower.

My older Burr King 2”x48” is only 3/4 HP and if it was my only belt grinder I could get by just fine with it. Keeping in mind I’m not a pro or a knifemaker.

Also that Jet Vaughn T has would be ideal, especially if you found one used.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like some motors outperform other motors of the same HP. Those Jet grinders seem like a good brand but they start out at $500. It would be worth it if they don't bog down under pressure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    This eastwood belt grinder is cheap, its only $200, but i wonder if it will bog down under a load.

After reading reviews on this grinder i dont know if this is a good grinder. One person said no one sells the size belt this grinder takes, he said you have to special order them. That's not for me if its true. Unless this person is wrong. It takes a 2x28 belt. I have seen them with a quick google search
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-22-2021 at 12:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like some motors outperform other motors of the same HP. Those Jet grinders seem like a good brand but they start out at $500. It would be worth it if they don't bog down under pressure.
    The majority of my grinders regardless of the make have Baldor motors.

:

7. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea but import motors generally have exaggerated HP ratings.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Help me choose a belt grinder and sander

Generally speaking any belt size is available but without a doubt the major belt manufacturers offer the greatest variety of grit/composition selections in 2”x72”.

And probably the best grinding cost value can be had from using a 2x72 machine. IMO

Last edited by Lis2323; 09-22-2021 at 12:20 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

No idea but import motors generally have exaggerated HP ratings.

Eastwwod does have a return policy.
    (If any item* is not satisfactory, you may return it for a full product refund (less S&H) within 60 days ofreceipt.)

Maybe i should try out their grinder. Its the cheapest option i have found so far. It might get me by until i get funds and time to build a 2x72 grinder. I can go that rout or buy the multi tool brand attachment for grinders. I don't know but its something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally speaking any belt size is available but without a doubt the major belt manufacturers offer the greatest variety of grit/composition selections in 2”x72”. IMO

Thanks. something to consider.

Post Thanks / Like

I think i might just get the multi tool attachment. After thinking it over i think it will work on my RA saw motor. And i could use it in the vertical position like i would prefer. All i need is to make an adaptor so it would bolt onto the part that the blade guard usually bolts onto. I'm sure it will work but if not I'll get a good bench grinder because mine bogs down easily.

Post Thanks / Like

What nice about the radial arm saw motor is I can put the multi tool belt grinder on one side and a drill chuck on the other side which i can use for either a disc or drum sander attachment. Its also a 2 HP motor with 3500 RPM which is ideal unless I'm mistaken. Its almost too perfect. I definitely need to try that out. I also have two of those motors, i could make two grinders or have one for a spare motor.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist