+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power mig 350mp, how to adjust the pulse freq.

Post Thanks / Like

Power mig 350mp, how to adjust the pulse freq.

Not really understanding the instruction book..
    Overall still trying to understand this all...

But how do you change the pulse frequency with mig aluminum push-pull gun set to pulse #149pgm...

Experimented with some of the start/crater settings... But doesn't dive down in power, then rise... (As I understood as this is pulse settings) as I'm welding... nor any adjustments for the rate of rise/fall frequency???

This is all for mig aluminum, isn't this the same like that of a typical tig aluminum machine???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Power mig 350mp, how to adjust the pulse freq.

I have the 360mp, so on mine you push the weld settings button, which is the voltage knob. In this library are the pinch/frequency, start, stop, burn back, pre and post flow, etc.

Aren’t there two silver toggles on that machine? I think you use these to get into the various settings.

As far as the start and stop, because the wire feed knob is on the push-pull/spoolguns, I am told these settings won’t work. To take advantage of them, you need to be running a regular mig gun.

Frustrating, I know, I bought the spool gun thinking it would all work too. I do wonder if these guns could be wired so that they use mig gun plug, and just bypass the on gun feed switch.

Post Thanks / Like

The arc control changes the frequency of the pulse. Read the owner's manual that is where I found this information. It only gives you a small amount of adjustment. and keeps the pulse balance automatically adjusted as you change the pulse.
    Pulse is a spray process. does not work right with short arc.
    With spool guns, for the wire speed control to change the spoolgun has to have a speed pot in the handle. The spoolgun pcb auto detects the speed control pot.
    If the spool gun does not have a speed control pot, control stays at the panel.
    The only thing that changes is where the speed control pot is. all the other settings stay in the panel controls. Things can change a lot depending on the weld program picked.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you get hot start/crater fill functions with a spoolgun? The machine has to synchronise with the wire feed to make this work...

with hot start it's not like a TIG set, you want it HOT for the first few seconds for aluminium, so the machine pushes up the voltage and wirespeed to suit. At the end, it drops them for crater fill.

Push-pulls can affect how well these things work unless they have synchronised motors as well... depends if its an assist, or if it's a really good strong pull. The softer assist pull guns can more or less get away without being synchronised, as the pull motor isn't dominant.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mckutzy View Post
    Not really understanding the instruction book..
    Overall still trying to understand this all...

But how do you change the pulse frequency with mig aluminum push-pull gun set to pulse #149pgm...

Experimented with some of the start/crater settings... But doesn't dive down in power, then rise... (As I understood as this is pulse settings) as I'm welding... nor any adjustments for the rate of rise/fall frequency???

This is all for mig aluminum, isn't this the same like that of a typical tig aluminum machine???
    The arc control that was mentioned is only for GMAW-PP (pulse-on-pulse, otherwise known as double-pulse). The actual frequency of the pulsed-spray event is likely not independently controlled since it is typically based on WFS. It's not like tig because in pulse MIG, the electrode is the filler and is thus consumable, where as in TIG the electrode is not consumed. So even if you adjust the frequency of the double-pulse, in standard pulsed-spray the frequency is not to be adjusted because it is already figured out for you, and it generally not a user-adjustable parameter.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh ok........ Thank you....

That kinda explains it....

Overall Im not really familiar with this type of machine that has the power/wire speed in synchronicity thing, used to independent power pack machines and wire units...in steel.

I guess its an aluminum type machine thing.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not specific to aluminum. To achieve pulsed-spray using any filler metal, whether using the standard One-Droplet-Per-Pulse (ODPP) methodology or some other variant, the manufacturer of a well-designed pulse-MIG has figured out exactly how often to have the machine send a "jolt" of amperage at precisely the right time (and intensity) to force the droplet off the end of the wire so that it flies off with the right size (diameter) and is propelled axially in the direction of the wire.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

8. Likes brichardson64 liked this post
+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist