Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this weld too cold???

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is this weld too cold???

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Google is your friend.

Many if not most acids work. I'd try "The Works" toilet cleaner (hydrochloric acid).
    Thank you i did not find that diagram when I googled. That is helpful

Post Thanks / Like

Can take the ripples right out. The bottom bead was the first one out of the box with the chart, rest second bead with machine wide open. HH 210, 030 Cleaner plate would help a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Thanks / Like

Hi. I suppose it all depends on what you are aiming for. Do you want nice cosmetic rippled welds, probably
    they are strong enough for the job intended. Or do You need Real strong burned in welds like Sberry's

Post Thanks / Like

I believe your right. I'm not much of a weave, whip, or any other manipulating of the bead. I like straight smooth burned in weld beads. Also what about a fillet gauge??? The welds the original poster is doing should have a 1/8" fillet (maybe 3/16" fillet but no more). Most of the time you see a "stack of dimes" weld that has questionable penetration it is alway way to big on fillet size. Trying to get the "stack of dimes" look usually leads to colder welder settings and slow travel speed. It is kind of a bad MIG welding habit to get into.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here are a few from today 3/16 tube to 1/4 plate.
    Working on "wet toes" less gun manipulation. The tie in on the far left is poor.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

6. Likes vpd66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Better. I think you're still travelling a little slow, but you need to pause at the tie-ins to fill the corners stop-starts up properly.

No doubt someone will be along shortly to tell you to never put the stop-starts at corners, but personally i don't care, it's rarely THAT critical. As long as they are good start-stops.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Munkul. I tend to stop and start at the corners. This not the best stop and start for sure. My confidence is a little rattled. lol

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't care about wrapping corners. I've never seen a drawing or had a customer tell me to avoid the stop start on a corner, so I just put them on the corners. If it's so highly stressed that it cracks at the corner, then it was probably a weak design to start with.

I do make an effort to fill the corners right up, though. I'll wrap the gun around the corner slightly to angle it into the corner and pause to fill it.

Can't put a stop-start on tests for code, though. They need them on a straight so they can inspect them.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

For those of us less experienced, I judge penetration on MIG by looking at the parent metals and the weld puddle. If I do not have cherry red metal when i finish and I did not see a decent weld puddle, I know there was no penetration and my filler metal is probably just sitting on top like toothpaste. For a novice, is that too simple?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Likes Reebz liked this post