Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modification to easily install table on horizontal/vertical bandsaw without bolts.

Post Thanks / Like

Modification to easily install table on horizontal/vertical bandsaw without bolts.

I found this video and wanted to share it with others who may have a horizontal/vertical bandsaw. I also posted this video and others in the Harbor freight forum in my HF bandsaw thread (https://weldingweb.com/vbb/threads/7...76#post8827576). There are no bolts required to change the saw table for vertical use. This saves time and effort.

Last edited by Need Advice; 09-22-2021 at 04:42 PM.

2. Likes acourtjester liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modification to easily install table on horizontal/vertical bandsaw without bolts

Why does no one adjust the blade guide wheels close to the work?

Keeping the guide wheels fully open shortens the blade life,,

(I am not the safety police,, so I ain't gonna preach that it is also safer!!)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Modification to easily install table on horizontal/vertical bandsaw without bolts

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

I don't know why they don't do that.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen some good modifications for this saw on youtube. One guy added a cutting fluid pump to his saw so the blade would continuously get lubrication automatically. Other people have extended the vice jaws to hold smaller pieces of metal and also added an adjustable bolt on the opposite side of the vice jaw to keep the vice from racking and instead keep the jaws parallel when cutting small pieces. They just extended the vice jaws with plate steel but i think that would cut down on cutting capacity so i think maybe making new jaws out of heavy duty angle steel might be better than just extending them.

Last edited by Need Advice; 09-22-2021 at 07:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I should have just named this thread "bandsaw modifications"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post

Exactly, not to mention allowing a lot more blade flex. I would be surprised if the cuts are even remotely true on the vertical.

Post Thanks / Like

Another little modification. I like the idea of using threaded rod for this saw stop but i would use a threaded disc instead of reusing the old piece of stop like this guy did. This disc would be made out of steel plate, kind of like a big thick metal washer. The disc would spin much faster for fast adjustment and you could use a jam nut to tighten it down instead of a set screw, or you could still use a set screw I guess. But this threaded rod would make for accurate adjustment of the saw stop. It seems much better i think.

Last edited by Need Advice; 09-23-2021 at 12:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably because of the time it takes to adjust them. Most folk with hf saws vary widely with material being cut and miter cut reduce capacity between guides. Also, moving those guides on those small chinese saws might upset the delicate balance of straight cutting vs frustration. Once they are cutting straight dont jack with it. ...enjoy

No need for cutting fluid on that small blade... If all adjusted properly i would be interested to know how much life expectancy from dry vs wet.

Vertical cutting is a nice simple addition. It will cut straight and the 1\2 inch blade will make contouring easier. Make sure table is long enough to protect wheels from falling parts..

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to be aware of about these HF saws are the gear boxes. One guy said he checked his saw when it was new and the gearbox had metal shavings in it from the factory. He cleaned out the gear box and put fresh oil in it. Another guy had his saw for a couple years and checked his gear box and it was out of oil and had sludge in it. He cleaned it out and refilled it with oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    I've seen some good modifications for this saw on youtube. One guy added a cutting fluid pump to his saw so the blade would continuously get lubrication
    LOL. I on the other hand REMOVED the coolant tank, pump, switch, and plumbing from my saw. Sold it to a guy for his milling machine.

Coolant just makes a big mess.

I use a lube stick on machines with steel wheels...

and a stream of compressed air on Ellis types with rubber tired wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

12. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tapwelder View Post
    Probably because of the time it takes to adjust them. Most folk with hf saws vary widely with material being cut and miter cut reduce capacity between guides. Also, moving those guides on those small chinese saws might upset the delicate balance of straight cutting vs frustration. Once they are cutting straight dont jack with it. ...enjoy

No need for cutting fluid on that small blade... If all adjusted properly i would be interested to know how much life expectancy from dry vs wet.

Vertical cutting is a nice simple addition. It will cut straight and the 1\2 inch blade will make contouring easier. Make sure table is long enough to protect wheels from falling parts..
    When i get my saw i'll have to test whether or not adjusting the guide arm will make it cut crooked. If it does maybe there is a way to make the guide more accurate with less slop, and maybe that will fix the issue, if there is one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    LOL. I on the other hand REMOVED the coolant tank, pump, switch, and plumbing from my saw. Sold it to a guy for his milling machine.

Coolant just makes a big mess.

I use a lube stick on machines with steel wheels...

and a stream of compressed air on Ellis types with rubber tired wheels.

Thanks for the heads up. Where was the mess? On the floor? Maybe a bigger table will catch the oil? Or maybe its not worth doing at all. I'll have to give it some thought. Whats a lube stick?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up. Where was the mess? On the floor? Maybe a bigger table will catch the oil? Or maybe its not worth doing at all. I'll have to give it some thought. Whats a lube stick?
    It's a personal thing.

Messy in the fact that you have to keep the strainer clear for the used coolant to return to the reservoir.

Messy because your workpiece is covered in coolant.

Messy in that depending on what you use bacteria grows and may stink up your reservoir.

Walter makes a good lube stick.

Liquid coolant systems are great for machines that do a LOT of cutting.

For people like myself..... not so much.

:

16. Likes 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This guy has another idea for installing a vertical saw table without bolts and tools. I like the other idea better but this is cool too.

Post Thanks / Like

Modification to easily install table on horizontal/vertical bandsaw without bolts.

As a rule I don't watch YouTube.

Some really smart guys out there but so many of them don't know how to edit or even talk without saying "uh" every third word.

I just don't have the patience to wade through the crap.

Of course Jody Collier is in a totally different class....

:

19. Likes denverd0n liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One piece of advice about these bandsaws is don't leave them unattended while they are cutting. People think that because they shut off automatically that they can walk away when its cutting but that's risky. I worked in a shop one time and we had one of these bandsaws, a guy walked away from it and the blade got jammed up and it burned the motor up. I just saw a video where another guy had the same thing happen to him. If you walk away don't go far, make sure you can hear it cutting or don't walk away at all would be better yet.

Post Thanks / Like

As a rule I don't watch YouTube.

Some really smart guys out there but so many of them don't know how to edit or even talk without saying "uh" every third word.

I just don't have the patience to wade through the crap.

Of course Jody Collier is in a totally different class....

Yes, some guys don't make very good videos but some do. I cant handle long winded videos either, it drives me nuts. I didn't watch all these videos yet but the ones I did watch were ok. The ones i haven't watched yet are the ones that have to do with tuning the bandsaw.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a personal thing.

Messy in the fact that you have to keep the strainer clear for the used coolant to return to the reservoir.

Messy because your workpiece is covered in coolant.

Messy in that depending on what you use bacteria grows and may stink up your reservoir.

Walter makes a good lube stick.

Liquid coolant systems are great for machines that do a LOT of cutting.

For people like myself..... not so much.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

That table from post #1 looks a bit bulky. I made the largest table that would fit when the saw is horizontal, which admittedly isn't big, and then I have a larger table that just bolts to that. Much less to store when not in use.

A milling machine clamp set is good to have. You can use it with some tapped holes in the saw bed or make a tooling plate that can be clamped in the jaws, which is what I did.

I have the Delta version of this saw, which I think is the original that the clones are copies of. I don't know if all are afflicted, but one thing I haven't done yet is make a better belt tensioner. The adjustment bolt is too close to the motor and makes for cumbersome adjustments, which has caused me to just leave it on the slowest speed.

Caution mentioned above about saw jamming is necessary. Mine has jammed many times in aluminum, by me trying to get by with a blade with a missing tooth.

The movable jaw may need to be fixed. Mine did. To make it clamp down better. Also swap out the clamping bolt for one with a swivel top so no wrench is needed.

For what it's worth, mine does cut quite accurately. I cut to 1/32" before moving the part to the lathe.

24. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upand_at_them View Post
    That table from post #1 looks a bit bulky. I made the largest table that would fit when the saw is horizontal, which admittedly isn't big, and then I have a larger table that just bolts to that. Much less to store when not in use.

A milling machine clamp set is good to have. You can use it with some tapped holes in the saw bed or make a tooling plate that can be clamped in the jaws, which is what I did.

I have the Delta version of this saw, which I think is the original that the clones are copies of. I don't know if all are afflicted, but one thing I haven't done yet is make a better belt tensioner. The adjustment bolt is too close to the motor and makes for cumbersome adjustments, which has caused me to just leave it on the slowest speed.

Caution mentioned above about saw jamming is necessary. Mine has jammed many times in aluminum, by me trying to get by with a blade with a missing tooth.

The movable jaw may need to be fixed. Mine did. To make it clamp down better. Also swap out the clamping bolt for one with a swivel top so no wrench is needed.

For what it's worth, mine does cut quite accurately. I cut to 1/32" before moving the part to the lathe.
    The guy did say you could use smaller tubing with that table, he just used what he had, but its still bulky, you're right. Is your table similar to the second table video? I like the fact that you don't need tools and bolts with either table design.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy did say you could use smaller tubing with that table, he just used what he had, but its still bulky, you're right. Is your table similar to the second table video? I like the fact that you don't need tools and bolts with either table design.
    My table is similar to the one in the first video of post #4. There used to be a Yahoo Group for the 4x6 bandsaw. Pretty active back in the day. There were a lot of ideas, upgrades, tips. I modeled mine after one from there.

And if not mentioned, the stand is pretty flimsy. Either beef it up, or make a new one. I would like to put mine on a slide-out "drawer" of my workbench. That way it doesn't take up limited floor space when not in use. I see many guys with small shops using chop saws, which may be the wiser choice as it stores more easily. Depends on your use...I do this stuff for fun, not occupation, and I work out of a one-car garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by upand_at_them View Post
    My table is similar to the one in the first video of post #4. There used to be a Yahoo Group for the 4x6 bandsaw. Pretty active back in the day. There were a lot of ideas, upgrades, tips. I modeled mine after one from there.

And if not mentioned, the stand is pretty flimsy. Either beef it up, or make a new one. I would like to put mine on a slide-out "drawer" of my workbench. That way it doesn't take up limited floor space when not in use. I see many guys with small shops using chop saws, which may be the wiser choice as it stores more easily. Depends on your use...I do this stuff for fun, not occupation, and I work out of a one-car garage.
    My shop is small too, so space is a concern. I have a chop saw but it doesn't cut very well. Maybe its the blade. But i think this bandsaw is the ticket. I think i can make room for it.

Post Thanks / Like

My shop is small too, so space is a concern. I have a chop saw but it doesn't cut very well. Maybe its the blade. But i think this bandsaw is the ticket. I think i can make room for it.
    Im quite confident that any tools in my shop that were poor performers was a result of bad choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

I’m quite confident that any tools in my shop that were poor performers was a result of bad choices.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes, my chop saw is a cheap brand. The blade is a diablo 7/64, im not sure if they make good abrasive blades or not but i think they make good circular saw blades. I think this bandsaw will work because I've heard testimony from others here. But even if it wasn't i can return it within 90 days. It seems like a better choice than the chop saw. I did my homework on this saw.

Post Thanks / Like

I just put a large plate on the roller braket (2"2"׼ flat bar)

All need to do is put saw in the vertical position and start cutting.

Dave

31. Likes Need Advice liked this post