+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Just got the new SM200N Everlast spool gun, so I can start learning to do 1/8-inch thick aluminum mig welding. And I'm already REALLY liking the 20-foot cable! My machine is the reliable Power I-MIG 200, which now has another nice-quality Everlast component to work with. The spool gun is partly plastic, but the plastic housing portion holding the wire roll seems pretty robust, sturdy for it being plastic (as opposed to thin, flimsy feeling plastic). Will be able to try it out in a couple of weeks, so pretty excited about that to share my first-use impressions. Now ordering .030 and .035 1-lb rolls of 4043 and 5356 aluminum wire, a couple of small acetone bottles, a dedicated stainless steel brush, along with gathering scrap aluminum to practice on, just to get going. The gun did not come with a case, but a beefy Harbor Freight Apache 4800 plastic storage case works perfectly -- only $60 with a coupon. Now I feel closer to getting back any welding mojo that I had before several years ago, when I was DIY welding mild carbon steel pretty regularly. So hey, any tips on mig welding 1/8" aluminum with a spool gun will be grandly appreciated. (Spent most of last night looking at "Jody's" videos on weldingtipsandtricks. ��)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Agape Guy; 09-22-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

2. Likes lugweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

make sure the material is CLEAN, then clean it again. 100% argon and push the puddle. All the best...report back.

4. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Got a bar of aluminum and some acetone bottles, in the mail today. Still gathering materials and supplies.Name:  aluminum-tidbits.JPG
Views: 489
Size:  82.7 KB
    Agape Guy
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

What angle should be the spool gun, when welding? Near vertical at 90 degrees? Or 10 degrees away from 90 in the push direction? I know that "push" is the recommended method, but what about angle? Spent my first day also trying to figure out the voltage and ER5356 wire speed settings on my I-MIG 200 for my first tries with a spool gun on 1/8" and 14-gauge scrap aluminum pieces. Bottle of 100% argon gas setting was 22 cfh. Used a stainless steel dedicated wire brush and acetone to clean clean clean the pieces before welding to start that new habit and keep it going. For the thinner 10-gauge aluminum, I also noticed that you really have to keep the puddle moving with a purpose to avoid burn through. I won't go thinner than 10-gauge and probably mostly 1/8" or 3/16" max thickness for my purposes. The technique and angle will take some getting used to. But it's exciting! Name:  figuring-out-settings.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  119.1 KBName:  first-bead-runs2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  184.5 KBName:  spool-gun.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  102.3 KBName:  plenty-of-scrap.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  83.7 KB
    Last edited by Agape Guy; 01-11-2022 at 07:30 PM.
    Agape Guy
    Way too many power tools

Post Thanks / Like

That acetone looks like it might be costing you a lot

Go to the local HD/Lowes and buy a gallon in the paint department then put it in this -> https://www.amazon.com/Economy-Bottl.../dp/B00WTHLR18

I too am getting the feel of a new Alum Mig welder and learned a quick lesson about getting it adjusted "just right". The coupons need to cool down before you weld on one again. Even if it's just a couple of hundred degrees, it makes a pass-to-pass comparison invalid. Do what you can, even if you have to pay for them, to get a Bunch of coupons to practice with...

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't try to short circuit with it. It should be in spray mode.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist