Thread: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Post Thanks / Like

Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Just got the new SM200N Everlast spool gun, so I can start learning to do 1/8-inch thick aluminum mig welding. And I'm already REALLY liking the 20-foot cable! My machine is the reliable Power I-MIG 200, which now has another nice-quality Everlast component to work with. The spool gun is partly plastic, but the plastic housing portion holding the wire roll seems pretty robust, sturdy for it being plastic (as opposed to thin, flimsy feeling plastic). Will be able to try it out in a couple of weeks, so pretty excited about that to share my first-use impressions. Now ordering .030 and .035 1-lb rolls of 4043 and 5356 aluminum wire, a couple of small acetone bottles, a dedicated stainless steel brush, along with gathering scrap aluminum to practice on, just to get going. The gun did not come with a case, but a beefy Harbor Freight Apache 4800 plastic storage case works perfectly -- only $60 with a coupon. Now I feel closer to getting back any welding mojo that I had before several years ago, when I was DIY welding mild carbon steel pretty regularly. So hey, any tips on mig welding 1/8" aluminum with a spool gun will be grandly appreciated. (Spent most of last night looking at "Jody's" videos on weldingtipsandtricks. ��)
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Agape Guy; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:28 PM.
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools

2. Likes lugweld liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

make sure the material is CLEAN, then clean it again. 100% argon and push the puddle. All the best...report back.

4. Likes Agape Guy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got the new Everlast SM200N aluminum spool gun to learn aluminum mig welding!

Got a bar of aluminum and some acetone bottles, in the mail today. Still gathering materials and supplies.Name:  aluminum-tidbits.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  82.7 KB
    Agape Guy
    Everlast Power I-MIG 200 (dual voltage)
    Everlast SM200N Spool Gun (aluminum mig welding)
    Everlast PowerArc 200 stick
    Harbor Freight Titanium 125 Easy Flux
    Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
    Way too many power tools