Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welding on a man lift

Post Thanks / Like

Welding on a man lift

I've been contacted to do a job welding 20ga steel off of a 120' man lift. My plan is to use my suitcase and some flux core and just turn the heat down and take it easy.
    Now my question is what would you guys charge for welding that high up on a Shakey *** man lift? I've been told it's somewhere between 5-28' of weld. No one can give a straight answer on that part...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Welding on a man lift

It is a moving target. On man left 120 foot will wave in wind so may need to end day do to wind.

Are you charging by the hour or is a quote 🤔?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bobontuesday View Post
    I've been contacted to do a job welding 20ga steel off of a 120' man lift. My plan is to use my suitcase and some flux core and just turn the heat down and take it easy.
    Now my question is what would you guys charge for welding that high up on a Shakey *** man lift? I've been told it's somewhere between 5-28' of weld. No one can give a straight answer on that part...

Post Thanks / Like

I can go either way I can't decide what would make the most sense. I can try to stand on the spot I'm welding it just won't be easy to stand on. I was hoping someone else has had to weld that high off a man lift before.

Post Thanks / Like

Could you use ratchet straps or something to hold you in place? Might make things easier on you
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG

5. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Could you use ratchet straps or something to hold you in place? Might make things easier on you
    My thought also!
    Could you temporarily tie the manlift basket to the thing you are welding on to help control/reduce movement?

7. Likes MinnesotaDave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They don't know how far you are going to weld? That's weird...

I'd go with a minimum fee (including travel), hourly for any past 2 hours.

...well...that's if I would weld up that high from a man lift....which I likely would not
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirmyPug View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    My thought also!
    Could you temporarily tie the manlift basket to the thing you are welding on to help control/reduce movement?
    I didn't even think about doing that. You guys are genius. How much extra should I be charging for the height?

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd rather fly in in a a basket off a crane, sadly that's nearly impossible nowadays unless something has changed, when I got ou of industrial that was the absolute last resort, & had to be the only way to get there.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

11. Likes shortarc liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welding on a man lift

Quote Originally Posted by rexcormack View Post
    My thought also!
    Maybe a slight weave might be beneficial!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

13. Likes E T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't even think about doing that. You guys are genius. How much extra should I be charging for the height?
    Don't know how much to charge but... the ratchet strap idea is going to cost you. Pass it on to the customer
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG

15. Likes Bobontuesday liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post
    They don't know how far you are going to weld? That's weird...

I'd go with a minimum fee (including travel), hourly for any past 2 hours.

...well...that's if I would weld up that high from a man lift....which I likely would not
    That's my issue here I don't want to throw out a number and f myself and spend days shaking around.
    I'm fine with the height its just the fact that I'm either running spools of wire of just a couple inches. No one can give me a good answer.

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    I think I'd rather fly in in a a basket off a crane, sadly that's nearly impossible nowadays unless something has changed, when I got ou of industrial that was the absolute last resort, & had to be the only way to get there.
    I'm just glad I'm not getting sent up with a ladder lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Maybe a slight weave might be beneficial!?

lol

Post Thanks / Like

Any way to climb off the man lift onto whatever you're welding (w/ harness to prusik to top rope) and leave the suitcase in the man lift? That would help eliminate the shakes...

Post Thanks / Like

It's possible just steep. It's a steeple. That's my plan as I don't see myself able to get close enough to just lean over.
    Miller 225nt
    Lincoln Sa-200 redface
    Lincoln Sa-200 Blackface

Post Thanks / Like

Do your best to estimate the time involved. Then double your hourly rate, add in your consumables and give him a set price.

:

Post Thanks / Like

My BIL wanted me to change out a 5HP motor for a 7.5HP motor on his new 100 foot high grain elevator, so that it would run faster.
    The platform to service the grain elevator was about as big as the platform on a small man lift.
    I had to climb steps to get to the platform,, the steps did have a steel bar guard to help to keep you from falling.

I literally,,, changed the motor one handed, as I never let go of my grip with my left hand.

I changed the wiring, installed the belt guard,, EVERYTHING, one handed.

I even moved the motors one handed,
    but, I did have help on the ground pulling a rope that was over a pulley to help lift the motors.

No one had even heard of a safety harness in 1975,,,,,,,,,,
    I was 25 at the time.
    I remember thinking about doing it when I was 35,, at that age, I would never have done it.

Post Thanks / Like

I did that in a 185 footer 110 ft inthge air doin the seams on an exhaust stack at a power plant in Texas. By all means tie the manlift off with rope or whatever you got...be careful gettin up there...the further away you are from your target the more you have to boom out and maybe boom down the more the wind will catch and give you a thrill. I f you gonna use gas shield flux core take your grinder along and plenty of grind wheels your gonna need em...a 5 mph breeze on the ground turns into 20 mph when you get up there.

What to charge? Are they gonna push you like a borrowed mule or let you work at your own SAFE pace? Id charge double your regular rate either way

Good luck and be safe
    Last edited by old miner called Pop; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

once in position, lean/set the side of the basket against the structure/building, and tap on the joystick a lil to put a lil pressure against structure, that will keep basket from moving while u weld.
    windy day can cause ur shieling gas loss (perosity), i had it happen on 7018. i had to poke 4 holes for rope in half sheet of plywood, and loop it around my shoulder strap it to my back to block wind. like almost any other job, charge as much as u think u can get away w/

23. Likes IAMsteelworker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I welded pipe risers off of a 110' man lift.
    I suggest keeping any movenent. To a minimum. The deflection is crazy fully extended. Avoid traveling if possible !
    I made up a bracket that we tacked to the pipe being welded, and used a "U" bolt around the lift guard rail.
    There's definitely less movement if you're in the lift alone.
    Our lift had the extendable wheel base. Narrow for transporting on trailer and fully extended for onsite. Just saying in case no one told you
    Depending on your situation, I would bring a comealong with. You might be able to tack somewhere and use the comealong to help avoid movement.
    We used stick because of pipe size, 12".
    Good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

We always take the man basket and "push" it into whatever we're working on or near. Not always welding, it could be taking a flange off a pipe or changing a big hose, same principle. Putting that pressure on the basket keeps it more stable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin View Post
    Any way to climb off the man lift onto whatever you're welding (w/ harness to prusik to top rope) and leave the suitcase in the man lift? That would help eliminate the shakes...
    Don't let OSHA see you climb out of the basket!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwby View Post
    Don't let OSHA see you climb out of the basket!
    Yup...Only way to do that on most jobs is get what they call an exit permit from the safety cop on the job...and that usually take reams of paperwork, an act of congress and a week if not more, if its a little job you can get away with it...I dont think I woukd want to step out on a church steeple though...even though Jesus is my friend I would really rather not.

28. Likes Kelvin, WenValley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Y'all have at it. They don't have enough money or guns to get me up there.
    ---Meltedmetal

30. Likes 12V71, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Did a lot of welding out of a basket when I installed electric signs. Putting a little tension of the basket against the structure helps. Everything was stick, ( 7018), so only one cable to deal with. It's amazing how much movement you can get when your up a ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Well my thoughts are if you can do 20ga with flux core out of a basket on a man lift more power to ya !

33. Likes Weldalittle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't help you with what to charge.
    I have done lots of that in my lifetime building ductwork for power plants and refineries. To get it steadied, just extend the boom into the stucture, or boom down into it. You will need a windbreak if your going to use mig, take some tarps, 2X4s and tie wire to make one. Wire the 2X4s to the basket.
    Miller Dialarc 250
    Hobart 140
    HTP 220 MTS
    Miller Legend AEAD 200LE Gas drive