Thread: MIG with Voltage and Current adjustment but no wire speed?

Post Thanks / Like

MIG with Voltage and Current adjustment but no wire speed?

Hi All
    Greetings from South Africa

I recently acquired a mig welder with separate wire feeder on auction.
    It didn't come with the inter connect cable so I opened it up to see if I can figure out the wiring needed for the cable. It has a 7pin on the machine and 6 on the wire feeder.
    The thing that confuses me is that on the wire feeder there a knob for voltage and a knob for current adjustment, but nothing for wire feed speed. On the power source there is 3 knobs, crater fill voltage, crater fill time, inductance.
    It looks like a original label from the factory but judging form the fact that its a chinese machine its possible its labeled wrong.
    I had a look on the net and its seems that there are other wire feeders with the same labels.
    This picture shows a feeder on the net with the same labels.

I am used to mig machines having a voltage knob or sometimes incorrectly labeled as "current" knob and then a wire feed speed knob.
    I haven't connected or powered up the welder yet, will have to test the pins first to figure out the pinout. So I am not able just to play with the knobs and see what happens.
    Is it possible that the current knob is actually the wire feed speed, since wire feed sort of determines the welding current?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: MIG with Voltage and Current adjustment but no wire speed?

Are you sure it is a MIG welder? I bet it is a subarc welder

Post Thanks / Like

Its just a wire feeder that hooks up to a Constant Voltage power source, like the old Linde feeders, and miller feeders that went on top of CV200,and CV300 power sources. If you go on E-bay some are 2 roller, and some are 4 roller feeders, some have wire speed in inches some in mm, some in amps ? I think some run of 24 vdc, and others 115v
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter
    Post Thanks / Like

Current and wire speed are the same adjustment on a MIG.
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Lincoln SA 200
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy Fuel setup
    Everlast PowerPlasma 80
    Everlast Power iMIG 160
    Everlast Power iMIG 205
    Everlast Power iMIG 140E
    Everlast PowerARC 300
    Everlast PowerARC 140ST
    Everlast PowerTIG 255EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lugweld View Post
    Current and wire speed are the same adjustment on a MIG.
    This, well the short answer is this.

Long answer is that wire feed and stick out control amperage on a MIG, but all else being equal (ie keeping the same stick out) wire feed is the direct control of amperage on a MIG, and being that it's a chinese machine and they're translations are often pretty average (they tend to translate to english literally rather then translate to the same meaning) i'm guessing the problem is just that.

Once you get it hooked up and working I'm willing to bet that the amp adjustment knob changes the wire feed speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another one with a different scale on the knob.

Name:  wirefeedchina.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  117.7 KB

You will likely have to do a bit of detective work to find how to wire the two together. What kind of Power source did it come with ?

Post some pic's if you get a chance (the feeder here on amazon doesn't show the feeder to power connector).

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Au...577947&sr=8-52

Regards
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D

Post Thanks / Like

All my MIG welders up to 2018 had no chart. After getting the setting a wrote it down both settings and the gauge of metal and type. After getting the first settings the rest was easy.

The welder I purchased in 2018 and had all settings work out on chart HAPPY DAYS. 😊😀😄

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by EttieneSA View Post
    Hi All
    Greetings from South Africa

I recently acquired a mig welder with separate wire feeder on auction.
    It didn't come with the inter connect cable so I opened it up to see if I can figure out the wiring needed for the cable. It has a 7pin on the machine and 6 on the wire feeder.
    The thing that confuses me is that on the wire feeder there a knob for voltage and a knob for current adjustment, but nothing for wire feed speed. On the power source there is 3 knobs, crater fill voltage, crater fill time, inductance.
    It looks like a original label from the factory but judging form the fact that its a chinese machine its possible its labeled wrong.
    I had a look on the net and its seems that there are other wire feeders with the same labels.
    This picture shows a feeder on the net with the same labels.

I am used to mig machines having a voltage knob or sometimes incorrectly labeled as "current" knob and then a wire feed speed knob.
    I haven't connected or powered up the welder yet, will have to test the pins first to figure out the pinout. So I am not able just to play with the knobs and see what happens.
    Is it possible that the current knob is actually the wire feed speed, since wire feed sort of determines the welding current?

Thanks