+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My portable/stationary air compressor idea

Post Thanks / Like

Re: My portable/stationary air compressor idea

Quote Originally Posted by mla2ofus View Post
    I can't figger why anyone other than an industrial setting needs 200 psi.
    I think it may have to do with running multiple air nailers, but im not sure.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

two compressors equals twice the noise. Why not just get an appropriately sized compressor for the job? I would get a quincy 3.5 HP or 5 HP and call it good.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12330.html

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ssor/p855.html
    Miller Multimatic 255

3. Likes whtbaron, mcspeed liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    two compressors equals twice the noise. Why not just get an appropriately sized compressor for the job? I would get a quincy 3.5 HP or 5 HP and call it good.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...or/p12330.html

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com...ssor/p855.html
    twice the noise. Yes that's true but this compressor is quiet, However two of them might be more noisy, you have a point. But if i bought a big compressor what fun would that be? I like creating things. I already have one compressor, all i need is $300 more to buy another, that verses $900 for a big boy. But maybe you're correct. I'll think about it.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-26-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I ran my air tools and everything for years off a 3 HP Campbell Hausfeld with a 20 gallon tank... but that being said, the last pump I bought was no where as efficient as the ones I started with in 1985. I painted cars with it using syphon feed guns... if you were using a lot of air, sometimes you had to wait, but it worked out well. I can't say I've regretted buying my 5 HP 2 stage Ingorsol/Rand with the 80 gal. tank though... lots of dry air is a big plus in the shop.
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

6. Likes Need Advice, MinnesotaDave, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I ran my air tools and everything for years off a 3 HP Campbell Hausfeld with a 20 gallon tank... but that being said, the last pump I bought was no where as efficient as the ones I started with in 1985. I painted cars with it using syphon feed guns... if you were using a lot of air, sometimes you had to wait, but it worked out well. I can't say I've regretted buying my 5 HP 2 stage Ingersoll/Rand with the 80 gal. tank though... lots of dry air is a big plus in the shop.
    Thanks. I also thought about buying a 20 gallon 200 PSI and running it with the one i already have so i wouldn't need to buy an extra tank, but it would need to be quiet. But like another poster said two compressors are double the noise. I know a big one like you have is noisy, i use to have one years ago and I've worked around big compressors too. If i had a separate insulated room to put it in i would just put the compressor in there, but i dont. I know air tools are noisy so why not just get a noisy compressor? Im just trying to cut down on noise where i can.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    I think it may have to do with running multiple air nailers, but im not sure.
    I've never heard of a nail gun requiring 200 psi. The CFM dictates how many nail guns can be run off a given compressor.
    Ol' Stonebreaker
    "Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes"
    Hobart G-213 portable
    Miller 175 mig
    Miller thunderbolt ac/dc stick
    Victor O/A setup
    Makita chop saw

Post Thanks / Like

I've never heard of a nail gun requiring 200 psi. The CFM dictates how many nail guns can be run off a given compressor.
    I said i think its for multiple air nailers but im not sure. I don't know exactly why it has 200 PSI but I'm willing to bet that a 6 gallon tank with 200 PSI will deplete a lot slower than a 6 gallon tank with 100 psi, twice as slow actually. 100 PSI can run one nailer but 200 psi can run two. Its like having two 100 psi air compressors in one, perhaps,. Also a pump that can pump 200 psi might have a larger cylinder which would give more CFM but im unsure of that.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-26-2021 at 10:36 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Air tools are typically rated for 90 psi, I worked in a sulphuric acid plant & we had a large 3 stage compressor that put out 500 psi( on a great day), it was also nearly impossible to keep third stage valves in, every performance enhancement comes at a cost. I think the third stage on that compressor was over 8 inch bore.., but it was an industrial compressor, reallyt industrial.
    UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    LET'S GO BRANDON!"INFLATION-THAT'S THE PRICE WE PAY FOR THOSE GOVERNMENT BENEFITS EVERYBODY THOUGHT WERE FREE."RONALD REAGAN
    JEFF

11. Likes Need Advice, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The guy that helped me get the seized Allis home had his compressor on his truck set to something like 200+ psi. I guess they do it all the time for filling big tires fast. Filled my tire in just a few minutes. There's some decent guys in the oil patch. K'kins works with some of the best.

13. Likes 12V71, Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The guy that helped me get the seized Allis home had his compressor on his truck set to something like 200+ psi. I guess they do it all the time for filling big tires fast. Filled my tire in just a few minutes. There's some decent guys in the oil patch. K'kins works with some of the best.
    The compressor on my equipment service truck is set for 200 psi. the smaller lines are regulated to 150 psi but the big line for the 1" impact is full 200, it's nice when changing cutting edges with 1" bolts. First pull of the trigger knocks them loose and spins them right off, instead of rattling for 30 seconds wasting air and gas. And it will inflate huge tires in a hurry.

15. Likes Need Advice, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are you so hung up on the 200 psi ?

That's what's in the tank. You don't have to use it at that pressure.
    In fact his compressor probably has an output regularot on it.

If you want more air, you need more pump volume and more motor HP
    That compressor is made to be portable, so both of those are limited.

If you want more surge capacity, you can use a larger tank, or store it at a higher pressure and regulate it down for use.
    Again, larger tank is not portable.
    So they pump it in at a higher pressure, regulate it lower on the output, they get a little more air out of a limited size package.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mac's Crew View Post
    Propane tanks work, Craigslist for shot craps compressors.
    Propane tanks work, they are tested to 400 psi.
    The 100 pound tanks are pretty cheap compared to BBQ sized

But the bbq 20 pounders often get thrown away because they are on the old valve style.

Do you have pressurized gas cylinders you can't get refilled locally, they are at a working pressure in the thousands, great safety margin.

But when you use them, take the valves off and replace with normal fittings.
    They are standard NPT thread fittings.

Take a valve apart and you will see the actual valve passages are maybe an eighth of in inch or less, Highly restricted.
    If you go full size pipe, it opens up to 3/4" npt which is far larger than 3/4"

18. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The primary benefit of a 200psi compressor is that it compresses more reserve air into the tank, which effectively increases your available air storage but in a smaller package.

I have linked compressors together back when I had my machine shop. I only needed the extra volume for running the bead blast cabinet. It was no big deal to link them but for maximum effectiveness you want to link the tanks together in the high pressure side of the regulator, not downstream of it. Be sure that whatever hose that you use to link them is rated for the pressure.

Personally, if you intend to use a lot of high demand air tools (such as a blast cabinet or high cam impacts), I would not use those Rigid compressors but instead opt for a higher cam version. The reason why is that oil less compressors are typically not rated for continuously duty applications. I’ve melted some down before when they ran continuously.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

20. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    IMHO,, the specs are being mis-read,,

The amperage needed to produce 200psi @ over 5CFM would be WAY beyond the typical 115 volt outlet,,

( the compressor MIGHT produce 200psi,,, OR 5cfm,, but, not both at the same time)
    (The compressor might take a half hour to pump up to 200psi,, but,, it will get there eventually!! LOL!!)

THEN two of them running would double the amperage. You might need 40 amps or more to get 10CFM @ 200psi,,

Now, some place like HF would list specs like that,, but, simply because of the language barrier of the company printing the box.

Also, synchronizing the two compressors would be difficult, the unit would need to be rewired so that one pressure switch controls both compressors.
    otherwise, one compressor would run, not allowing the other compressor to drop below the cut-in pressure.
    It took 2 minutes to fill the tanks, but they are small tanks too. Actually it took less than 2 minutes, i fumbled looking for the switch and i also didn't use a stop watch so it could have been a minute and a half for all i know.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-27-2021 at 09:23 AM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input folks. Maybe i will just get a bigger compressor.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

23. Likes whtbaron, 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    They don't have to be synchronized. All you need is a pneumatic one-way check-valve on each line feeding the tank. That's how I actually have mine, and it works.
    I don't even bother with check-valves. I run 3 compressors sometimes.

I set the outgoing regulator on each to 100psi for sandblasting.

The compressor motors kick in whenever their own pressure switch tells them too.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
    Invertec v250-s
    Thermal Arc 161 and 300
    MM210
    Dialarc
    Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

The compressor motors kick in whenever their own pressure switch tells them too.
    What CFM and tank size do your compressors have?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

With the amount of time and effort it would take to rig up multiple compressors, I could earn enough to buy a nice Quincy that is quiet and reliable and will last decades.

Yep I like to DIY stuff too but sometimes it isn’t practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27. Likes Louie1961 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcspeed View Post
    With the amount of time and effort it would take to rig up multiple compressors, I could earn enough to buy a nice Quincy that is quiet and reliable and will last decades.

Yep I like to DIY stuff too but sometimes it isn’t practical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My neighbor has a Quincy. I looked it up on the internet and that's an expensive compressor. Needless to say he doesn't want to sell it. It only takes a minute to plug hoses in. But like someone else said my particular compressor might not be designed to run all the time so maybe I'll just get a bigger compressor. I don't want to rein a good $300 air compressor.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaDave View Post

Very true. I was being too liberal with the word "need". I tend to favor to use them, but it's definitely possible to do without them so long as the weakest "rated" tank can handle all of the pressure being built-up by the highest-psi compressor, if there is one.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist