Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pin Spanner

Post Thanks / Like

Pin Spanner

Next up is the bush hog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,yeah, it's still sitting there waiting to be fixed

I plan to try to salvage the output shaft by chasing the damaged threads. But I don't want to do it at full speed. I'd rather be able to do it slowly, so that if I find myself out of synch with the gearbox on the lathe, I can immediately correct the situation.

I figure a spanner will allow me to turn the chuck by hand, and do a decent job.

Name:  spanner1.jpg
Views: 731
Size:  238.2 KB Cut the blank out of some scrap, and smoogied it to fit the radius. THEN I REALIZED THAT I CUT, AND FIT, THE DAMN THING TO WORK ON THE 6" CHUCKName:  erniefp.png
Views: 697
Size:  13.7 KB I need it for the 8" 4 jaw chuckName:  banging-head-against-brick-wall.gif
Views: 679
Size:  1.8 KB

Getting old sucks (sigh)

Do it over tomorrow (another sigh)

2. Likes whtbaron, robocow liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pin Spanner

Would a strap wrench work??
    No fabrication, and the wrench would fit both chucks,, and that oil filter that you have been neglecting to change,,,

$14 might be a good price,, and it fits up to 12",,

Post Thanks / Like

You have a clutch on your lathe, right? You can use it to "bump" the spindle to where it needs to be... Or you could just use a stilson on the shaft...

Stop faffing and get on with it Sam
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

This does not work on L tapper.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    You have a clutch on your lathe, right? You can use it to "bump" the spindle to where it needs to be... Or you could just use a stilson on the shaft...

Stop faffing and get on with it Sam

Post Thanks / Like

Ya could just grab the jaws with an "all-sixteenths" adjustable wrench. It won't hurt anything, I don't think, as long as you're taking light cuts.

7. Likes snowbird liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

running a die down it no good? or what about a thread file to unbooger it?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, ok.....................................

The lathe does have a standard OEM clutch...................BUT IT DOESN'T HAVE A SAMMY CLUTCH It's not moron proof

The shaft is about 1 1/2-12 thread, or maybe 18tpi. Forgot.

It's mondo MONDO easy to mess something up when it's fine threaded.

I think these shafts run around $350ish

If the thread that's damaged falls inside a safe engagement area, it's on to removing the thread entirely, and rethreading it............which means making a new non standard nut. I can't make this decision until I chase the thread, and reinstall it on the machine, and see if the good thread engages enough of the nut to make it safe. The thread that's damaged is hugely undersized due to the damage. It's only doable to touch up the damaged thread, if it allows the nut to be installed so's it reaches the good thread. The nut cannot be installed on the area that was damaged, even if the thread is cleaned up.

The shaft is hardened This makes for another question...................is it case hardened, or through hardened. If it's case hardened..........how deep is it. If it's within reason, I can turn down to the soft area, and rethread it. If not............I'm looking at a new shaft I figure. I'm not to sure how easy it is to thread hardened material. Something tells me that it's a no go. I know I can break out a cross thread situation, but not sure I can cut new threads.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  spanner2.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  197.8 KB

Name:  spanner3.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  186.7 KB Damaged thread

Name:  spanner4.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  194.9 KB Good thread
    Last edited by farmersammm; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:16 PM. Reason: added pic descriptions

Post Thanks / Like

I can pick up a chasing die for around $90, but I have to hope that the start is good. If the start is boogered up, I'm chasing a bad thread that won't match the good thread.

Post Thanks / Like

I did pick up a good new nut, and it won't even start on the shaft, so the start is probably messed up too.

Post Thanks / Like

If you check back on the original thread..................it took about a 4 foot breaker bar to get the nut off....................all the way........not just breaking it loose.

Post Thanks / Like

If you take a "good" ISO nut,, it's made to standards........tolerances. So, you have built in slop. Add that to a defective thread, and you might have some serious trouble.

I have absolutely no idea how much thrust this shaft takes, but I do know that it's a piece of equipment that's abused as a regular mode of operation. I mow Cedar trees with this thing. 5 footers. It gets used. (It's how I knocked the ladders off the Oliver) It might have run for another 20yrs if it hadn't leaked, and the shaft removed to install a new seal.

Post Thanks / Like

For you guys with good eyes for detail...........take a look at the pic of the threads. Sometimes I can see more in a pic than I can see in real time.

The pic shows that the damaged threads are "flat", compared to the good threads that are inclined. This is a real issue. The bad threads are literally useless.

Nothing is as simple as it seems.

16. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    For you guys with good eyes for detail...........take a look at the pic of the threads. Sometimes I can see more in a pic than I can see in real time.

The pic shows that the damaged threads are "flat", compared to the good threads that are inclined. This is a real issue. The bad threads are literally useless.

Nothing is as simple as it seems.
    That means the metal is still there. You need a rethreading die that "rolls" the threads back into place.

18. Likes whtbaron, lars66 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

why don't you turn it down to 1 3/8 x 10 or 8? salvaging that thread will be a problem waiting to happen, those threads are stretched and worked just turn them off and downsize a little
    Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

20. Likes ghost_walker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    That means the metal is still there. You need a rethreading die that "rolls" the threads back into place.
    I think you're right. The only problem is the start. Can I get the rethreading die to start in the right place.

My thinking is...............if I have a lathe with a change gear box that does threading, why not use it in place of a threading die. As long as I get the start right, I'm in business. I can dull the cutter to roll the thread, and let it bull its way through.

Using the lathe, I can set the travel in the portion that has good thread. Backlash set in the good area, so that I can actually start the process at the beginning of the thread, and be in the groove.

Post Thanks / Like

Ideal thing would be a split rethread die that you put on the good thread and then backthread over the damage. I'm sure with an odd thread it's not available. As for threading hardened material you need to get an idea how hard the part is. Carbide should thread the equivalent of grade 8 hardness.

Post Thanks / Like

Picking up a thread has almost 100% to do with backlash. If I can get the backlash right, I'm golden.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idacal View Post
    why don't you turn it down to 1 3/8 x 10 or 8? salvaging that thread will be a problem waiting to happen, those threads are stretched and worked just turn them off and downsize a little
    It's what I've been thinking, but I'm not sure how deep the hardening is. See previous post somewhere back in this mess

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I think you're right. The only problem is the start. Can I get the rethreading die to start in the right place.

My thinking is...............if I have a lathe with a change gear box that does threading, why not use it in place of a threading die. As long as I get the start right, I'm in business. I can dull the cutter to roll the thread, and let it bull its way through.

Using the lathe, I can set the travel in the portion that has good thread. Backlash set in the good area, so that I can actually start the process at the beginning of the thread, and be in the groove.
    Hey, there you go... Use a 60 degree grind on an HSS blank upside down to "plow" the displaced metal back into place, Lotsa lube of course.

Post Thanks / Like

I do this, and I apologize. I keep adding posts as I'm thinking. Sorry

Post Thanks / Like

I'm grateful for the help, and grateful for those who've ignored my recent bad welding (Meltedmetal). I guess I'm just grateful

Wrong smiley, it should have been a plain smile, not a smartass wink Can't see for sht.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:09 PM. Reason: last sentence

Post Thanks / Like

center drilling (hss) the end would let u know about its hardness and could help support while threading. u can buy a undersized nut closest to what it cleans up at , then thread for the new nut

Post Thanks / Like

Today's Funny...............

Alright, it aint all that funny, but it's funny to me. I get uber excited when K'kins comes home from work, so my "funny" threshold is low

I'm not a bigtime fab shop, so I only own 3 O2 bottles. And they're all getting on to being empty.

Name:  spanner6.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  215.3 KB Had to borrow some air from the cutting rig.

The empties are ready to put on the pickup tomorrow. Name:  spanner5.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  220.3 KB

I don't give a damn whether y'all think it's funny.............but I thought it was.

K'kins tries to be kind (Aw come offffit, she is plain evil!!!!!) and generally informs me when it's the 10th time I've told the same story.Name:  erniefp.png
Views: 542
Size:  13.7 KB Or.............thinks somethin's funny.

Post Thanks / Like

would this technique be of any help?