Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What kind of welding projects sell?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What kind of welding projects sell?

It is a suitcase weight bracket for the early John Deere hydrostatic garden tractors from models 120 through 332

Being able to build things like this is fun for me and the primary reason I came back to pick up where I left off in my high school years of learning to fabricate and weld.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-28-2021 at 08:36 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

2. Likes Need Advice, Beefman, BD1, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not exactly a beginner welder. I learned how to weld years ago from YT videos posted by welders. I just dont consider myself a professional and im not because there is much to welding that i dont know. My welds dont look bad, i suppose my only problem is when i stop a weld its hard to blend it when i begin again, it has an overlapped look instead of one continuous weld, but im not sure if that's avoidable or not. I started out with a grinder as well, but now i want something better. I dont need to use a noisy grinder when i can use a bandsaw instead. I'll save the grinder for when its necessary.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

I made gym equipment for years. I sold to schools, home gyms, professional gyms. I would go to CrossFit Events and take sleds and stuff to sell. The gym would put my name on fliers as a sponsor, if I gave equipment to the winning team. I did this for years. I really don't recommended it. As my LWS said "You can not beat china, or a robot". The price of gym equipment is low compared to the cost of steel. If you go this route skip making squat racks, too much time and too little money.
    Make custom stuff for gyms. I made my best money on storage racks, the little gyms have storage issues.
    Lastly it did pan out, I became friends with the steel supplier and now I subcontract for them. I'm making good money, but small production jobs are boring. I just made 2,500 finished pieces it looked like an 18" letter E. I'm a retired teacher so its money to purchase car parts with.
    As said by others act professional, and polite. It takes time.

5. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Reebz View Post
    I made gym equipment for years. I sold to schools, home gyms, professional gyms. I would go to CrossFit Events and take sleds and stuff to sell. The gym would put my name on fliers as a sponsor, if I gave equipment to the winning team. I did this for years. I really don't recommended it. As my LWS said "You can not beat china, or a robot". The price of gym equipment is low compared to the cost of steel. If you go this route skip making squat racks, too much time and too little money.
    Make custom stuff for gyms. I made my best money on storage racks, the little gyms have storage issues.
    Lastly it did pan out, I became friends with the steel supplier and now I subcontract for them. I'm making good money, but small production jobs are boring. I just made 2,500 finished pieces it looked like an 18" letter E. I'm a retired teacher so its money to purchase car parts with.
    As said by others act professional, and polite. It takes time.
    Thanks. I'm more into crafts or maybe i should say ornamental work, i think.. They are usually small and people love them. Things like candle holders and such.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

These were cut out using a plasma cutter by hand. Oxy axe can get same results but the learning curve requires more time and patients IMO. It took me a lot longer to mark out and cut these pieces clampes onto the edge of a portable plastic dewalt construction table :/

Name:  20210928_184220.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  88.4 KBName:  20210928_190111.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  67.7 KBName:  20210928_194120.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  62.8 KB
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-29-2021 at 12:59 AM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

8. Likes Need Advice, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ornament iron is good too.
    The biggest problem is selling small items, you have sell a lot of small ornament iron.
    Most time I seen items is at flea markets.
    But is fun work and get you started with a low budget.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Thanks. I'm more into crafts or maybe i should say ornamental work, i think.. They are usually small and people love them. Things like candle holders and such.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Ornament iron is good too.
    The biggest problem is selling small items, you have sell a lot of small ornament iron.
    Most time I seen items is at flea markets.
    But is fun work and get you started with a low budget.

Dave
    Thanks flea markets were exactly what i had in mind.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    These were cut out using a plasma cutter by hand. Oxy axe can get same results but the learning curve requires more time and patients IMO. It took me a lot longer to mark out and cut these pieces on a plastic dewalt portable table :/
    What are those cut pieces for? What plastic Dewalt table do you refer to?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the process of building one of these. I'm sure you could sell a couple of these if you got good enough with your mock up, Layout, Cutting, fit up and welding skills.

Attachment 1731652Attachment 1731653
    Uhh, what is it? Looks like some sort of post nuclear toilet paper holder.

13. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Those are the side pieces from the drawing I shared earlier to the weight bracket. I don't recommend using the dewalt portable table for welding projects but i did because my welding table is a big cluster fk of things piled on it atm.

15. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When started there was no plasma.
    Oxygen cutting cost more for setup than plasma.

Dave

These were cut out using a plasma cutter by hand. Oxy axe can get same results but the learning curve requires more time and patients IMO. It took me a lot longer to mark out and cut these pieces clampes onto the edge of a portable plastic dewalt construction table :/

Name:  20210928_184220.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  88.4 KBName:  20210928_190111.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  67.7 KBName:  20210928_194120.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  62.8 KB

Post Thanks / Like

I think maybe rocket stoves for camping might sell good. Its worth a try.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Im not exactly a beginner welder. I learned how to weld years ago from YT videos posted by welders. I just dont consider myself a professional and im not because there is much to welding that i dont know. My welds dont look bad, i suppose my only problem is when i stop a weld its hard to blend it when i begin again, it has an overlapped look instead of one continuous weld, but im not sure if that's avoidable or not. I started out with a grinder as well, but now i want something better. I dont need to use a noisy grinder when i can use a bandsaw instead. I'll save the grinder for when its necessary.
    Most of us here are not professional welders.
    The pic below shows two pieces of aluminum that are about 8 to 9 years old. The welds on the bottom of each are when I was teaching myself TIG welding. I started with aluminum and had no idea what I was doing. I keep these pieces to remind myself and then to show others that it takes time and practice.

I sought out advice from other welders and showed them what I was doing. Then it was a lot of repetition and trying to implement advice.

The welds near the top of the right piece were from a couple years ago when I was trying to teach a co-worker welding. Some of the mistakes were done on purpose to show the effects of dipping the tungsten and no gas flow. I still have a lot to learn and occasionally pull out a piece of metal and stack beads.

Post pics of your welds, machines, settings etc. You may get rough comments but they are to teach you to be better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

19. Likes Reebz, Need Advice, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The work that makes the most money IMHO isn't the stuff you make and then sell - it's the stuff that someone else asks you to make for them.

My part time fabrication business started as a hobby and got kinda serious when I made enough to buy more and more equipment.
    My most profitable work has been when someone shows me what they want, and I give them a price. i started out low, as it was more for fun/experience. These days I'm so busy that I give prices high enough to make me WANT to squeeze the work in, and I'm still surprised sometimes when they say yes, ok.

As above, don't try to compete with china unless you can live on china wages. There are sweatshops all over the place making production items for retail. It's only profitable if you find a real niche.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

21. Likes Reebz, N2 Welding, Need Advice, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Munkul nails it.
    I did stop at family owned antique type store (I can not think of the right term) she would sell stuff on consignment. I got busy doing production work and need to follow up.

23. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Most of us here are not professional welders.
    The pic below shows two pieces of aluminum that are about 8 to 9 years old. The welds on the bottom of each are when I was teaching myself TIG welding. I started with aluminum and had no idea what I was doing. I keep these pieces to remind myself and then to show others that it takes time and practice.

I sought out advice from other welders and showed them what I was doing. Then it was a lot of repetition and trying to implement advice.

The welds near the top of the right piece were from a couple years ago when I was trying to teach a co-worker welding. Some of the mistakes were done on purpose to show the effects of dipping the tungsten and no gas flow. I still have a lot to learn and occasionally pull out a piece of metal and stack beads.

Post pics of your welds, machines, settings etc. You may get rough comments but they are to teach you to be better.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Sorry about the dislike to your post, i meant to like it instead.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the dislike to your post, i meant to like it instead.
    No worries. It would take a lot more than that to irritate me.
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

26. Likes Need Advice, N2 Welding liked this post