+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of welding projects sell?

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of welding projects sell?

I was wondering if anyone would like to share welding or blacksmithing projects that sell pretty well. Maybe even books or videos demonstrating projects that have sold well. Thank you.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-28-2021 at 01:37 AM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What kind of welding projects sell?

Most people like custom cut out and holiday decor. I sell a lot of these during Nov and Dec. Custom name tree ornaments too. I was trying to get into some town green Holiday festival sale stuff but since COVID hit, all that was pulled back. I see a couple now.
    www.tjsperformance.com
    Dynasty 300 DX
    HTP 240
    HTP Microcut 380
    Hyperthem 85
    JD2 Hyd Bender and HF Hyd Ring Roller all in one =(Frankenbender)
    Bpt. Mill/DRO
    4' x 8' CNC Plasma Table
    Instagram: tjsperformance
    YT: TJS Welding and Fabrication

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve tried selling little things but you can’t pay your expenses most of the time. If you enjoy it or just want practice you should do that as hobby/side work.

Once you have a welder and learned enough, look for projects like porch handrails that you can charge enough to make some money. From your posts, it seems you are a long way from offering welding services for pay. Friends and family will give you some good practice work but they usually won’t pay a lot.

In a couple of years, find a designer and offer your services. If you have good ideas and skills they can keep you busy. I have 3 designers that would keep me busy full-time if I wanted it. And I make pretty good money on this. I try to only have 1 project at a time because I do not want 3-4 people telling me to hurry up. For that work, you need to be neat, respectful, competent, and add value to the project. They won’t bring you to a client’s home otherwise. You need to be able to front the money for materials and subs and be able to deliver and install. I often have much more than $1000 tied up in stock and services. Also, tools, space, materials, and consumables require a significant investment.

So don’t quit your day job. I think it would be nearly impossible to make a good full-time living as a 1 man shop unless you are doing structural, commercial, or specialized welding. People want custom designer items at IKEA or Walmart prices. I’m retired so my work is for added income and something interesting to do. I’m not depending on it to provide for my family.
    Last edited by wb4rt; 09-28-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Burt
    Hobart Handler 140

www.10FtDrillBit.com
    www.MyWelds.com - pictures of my work

Post Thanks / Like

I find there are 2 types of welding projects I have sold, tools and art type(wall hangers and plaques). One problem now is the cost of shipping has gone up. Some of these things I built with the hope of selling other I have been contacted to do the project. Some things are small dollar and others are much more, smaller projects can be used as fillers of your time between larger ones. If you had a CNC table you can expand your project base. There is a site called PlasmaSpider.com guys there sell a full range of projects, from fire pits to wall hangers, trinkets, to commercial signs. I have used my CNC table for plasma cutting and routed wood sign, and plaques, I'm retired and just do things to support other projects.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    DIY CNC Plasma table USB BOB Price THC
    Hypertherm 65
    Everlast PowerTig 255 EXT
    Miler 180 Mig
    13" metal lathe
    Mill/ Drill
    ECT, ECT,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJS View Post
    Most people like custom cut out and holiday decor. I sell a lot of these during Nov and Dec. Custom name tree ornaments too. I was trying to get into some town green Holiday festival sale stuff but since COVID hit, all that was pulled back. I see a couple now.
    Thanks TJS
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wb4rt View Post
    I’ve tried selling little things but you can’t pay your expenses most of the time. If you enjoy it or just want practice you should do that as hobby/side work.

Once you have a welder and learned enough, look for projects like porch handrails that you can charge enough to make some money. From your posts, it seems you are a long way from offering welding services for pay. Friends and family will give you some good practice work but they usually won’t pay a lot.

In a couple of years, find a designer and offer your services. If you have good ideas and skills they can keep you busy. I have 3 designers that would keep me busy full-time if I wanted it. And I make pretty good money on this. I try to only have 1 project at a time because I do not want 3-4 people telling me to hurry up. For that work, you need to be neat, respectful, competent, and add value to the project. They won’t bring you to a client’s home otherwise. You need to be able to front the money for materials and subs and be able to deliver and install. I often have much more than $1000 tied up in stock and services. Also, tools, space, materials, and consumables require a significant investment.

So don’t quit your day job. I think it would be nearly impossible to make a good full-time living as a 1 man shop unless you are doing structural, commercial, or specialized welding. People want custom designer items at IKEA or Walmart prices. I’m retired so my work is for added income and something interesting to do. I’m not depending on it to provide for my family.
    Thanks. I don't plan on offering welding services, if i did i would go to welding school first. My welding is ok but not professional. I just want to make things and try to sell them.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acourtjester View Post
    I find there are 2 types of welding projects I have sold, tools and art type(wall hangers and plaques). One problem now is the cost of shipping has gone up. Some of these things I built with the hope of selling other I have been contacted to do the project. Some things are small dollar and others are much more, smaller projects can be used as fillers of your time between larger ones. If you had a CNC table you can expand your project base. There is a site called PlasmaSpider.com guys there sell a full range of projects, from fire pits to wall hangers, trinkets, to commercial signs. I have used my CNC table for plasma cutting and routed wood sign, and plaques, I'm retired and just do things to support other projects.
    Thanks for the link, I will check it out.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Thanks. I don't plan on offering welding services, if i did i would go to welding school first. My welding is ok but not professional. I just want to make things and try to sell them.
    Get good at making pretty bead profiles and spot welds. The better the items look the more likely you will get repeat customers or free word of mouth advertising for new customers. Get familiar with all the places to market your products. Etsy, OfferUp, eBay, CraigsList, Facebook etc etc. always charge more on places like eBay or Etsy to cover the cost to sell there.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    Get good at making pretty bead profiles and spot welds. The better the items look the more likely you will get repeat customers or free word of mouth advertising for new customers. Get familiar with all the places to market your products. Etsy, OfferUp, eBay, CraigsList, Facebook etc etc. always charge more on places like eBay or Etsy to cover the cost to sell there.
    Thanks, sounds like good advice.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the "Sticky" thread for ideas.
    I do a few art/craft shows. This year in my area covid is still an issue,so not many going on.
    I found most priced from $15.00 to $50.00 sell the best. One show I'll sell all my silverware dragonflies or birds. The next show, didn't sell one.
    Everyone has different tastes and sees things differently.
    I started making saw blade owls this year. I sold all three my first show and had one buyer call me for two more. I made three more and sold two last show. I sold the first ones for $40 made with 7 and 1/4 saw blades. The next ones I raised price to $60 made with 10" blades.
    That take with spike head sell well too. I welded a 3/8" rod coupling on the inside. This allows a 3/8" rod to be screwed in and you can stick in ground. I provide a 3/8" Al thread rod too.
    Like this USA sign, I provide a base, a rod for in ground, or you can hang on wall.
    Various wine holders sell well for me too.
    Name:  E74E7846-576C-4265-B2FD-3463BFF27EF4.jpg
Views: 1587
Size:  118.0 KB
    Whatever you make, look at multiple uses for it. Name:  159E47C8-A15B-4F89-96D7-12865135CE10.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  194.0 KB
    I do well with my wine holders too. It depends on where you sell too. My horseshoe art is popular in the Equine area.
    If you are considering art/craft shows as a vendor, many NOw are requiring proof of insurance. It was never mentioned at any of my shows until this year. Just mentioned as a heads up.
    Name:  C27B8458-CE37-4398-A0D6-4CAAB1529D1E.jpg
Views: 1520
Size:  108.3 KB
    Sorry about photos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Check out the "Sticky" thread for ideas.
    I do a few art/craft shows. This year in my area covid is still an issue,so not many going on.
    I found most priced from $15.00 to $50.00 sell the best. One show I'll sell all my silverware dragonflies or birds. The next show, didn't sell one.
    Everyone has different tastes and sees things differently.
    I started making saw blade owls this year. I sold all three my first show and had one buyer call me for two more. I made three more and sold two last show. I sold the first ones for $40 made with 7 and 1/4 saw blades. The next ones I raised price to $60 made with 10" blades.
    That take with spike head sell well too. I welded a 3/8" rod coupling on the inside. This allows a 3/8" rod to be screwed in and you can stick in ground. I provide a 3/8" Al thread rod too.
    Like this USA sign, I provide a base, a rod for in ground, or you can hang on wall.
    Various wine holders sell well for me too.

Whatever you make, look at multiple uses for it.
    I do well with my wine holders too. It depends on where you sell too. My horseshoe art is popular in the Equine area.
    If you are considering art/craft shows as a vendor, many NOw are requiring proof of insurance. It was never mentioned at any of my shows until this year. Just mentioned as a heads up.

Sorry about photos.
    Thanks. I put the wine bottle holder on my list. I like all your stuff. I plan on making various candle holders.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

12. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I put the wine bottle holder on my list. I like all your stuff. I plan on making various candle holders.
    If you enlarge photo, you'll see my candle holders. That's another item I make for the tea cup candles or for the straight up ones, whatever you call them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Since no one else will say it, you have been given all the advice you need. Get off the computer and start making items or practicing your welds.
    You have started a dozen threads on multiple topics.
    One thing you have not done is give your budget or time restrictions.
    A common theme is that you can't afford the suggestions given or don't want to spend the money required.
    I started with a Miller mig welder, Dewalt 4.5 inch grinder and Dewalt 14 dry cut saw. That was sufficient for many years as I improved my technique and artistic style.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    Arclight Dynamics 4x8 plasma table
    www.psacustomcreations.com

16. Likes BD1, Shootr, wb4rt, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pat of PSAcustomcreations, is right Need Advice. We've shared enough for you to start fabrication.
    It's time to do something, even if it's wrong.
    I can have an idea on what and how to build it, and then change my mind as I build.
    The first one of anything will take longer. IF you plan on making multiples of the same item, make up a jig if it helps.
    My wine balancer guy takes about 20 minutes using jigs that I made.
    OK, let's see something before we do a member ban......

18. Likes psacustomcreations, Shootr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But, before you go and get started, take time to hear what the villageblacksmith has to say. You are wanting ideas for things that "sell really well". In all reality, anything you wish to make will sell really well. It is all a matter of buying $800 worth of gear, $100 worth of steel, spending all your free time carefully and lovingly crafting your "gizmos", painstakingly polishing them, meticulously marketing them, and then, pricing them out at $1.99 each. They should "sell really well"!! And quickly!! I can almost guarantee it. But should sales lag, put up big flyers offering your items at a 25% discount.
    So there you have it! The secrets of the old masters!
    But if you are wanting to know how to make money at your venture, you should start another thread with a different title.
    One other thing - a customer of mine, who has been very successful at the selling things quickly thing at festivals, fairs, and similar events, told me that they soon saw that it wasn't the crafters making the money at the fairs. It was the people with food items. Guess what - he doesn't sell craft items.

Sent from my E6810 using http://tiny.cc/Forums_reader

20. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by villageblacksmith View Post
    So there you have it! The secrets of the old masters!
    But if you are wanting to know how to make money at your venture, you should start another thread with a different title.
    One other thing - a customer of mine, who has been very successful at the selling things quickly thing at festivals, fairs, and similar events, told me that they soon saw that it wasn't the crafters making the money at the fairs. It was the people with food items. Guess what - he doesn't sell craft items.

Food, Beer, and wine always sells..

And SE.... Too

Post Thanks / Like

I sure don't know why my message posted like that as if I was quoting myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post
    Since no one else will say it, you have been given all the advice you need. Get off the computer and start making items or practicing your welds.
    A common theme is that you can't afford the suggestions given or don't want to spend the money required.
    I started with a Miller mig welder, Dewalt 4.5 inch grinder and Dewalt 14 dry cut saw. That was sufficient for many years as I improved my technique and artistic style.

Name:  damn-straight.jpg
Views: 1574
Size:  77.8 KB
    Yeswelder MIG-205DS
    (3) Angle Grinders at the Ready
    Just a hobbyist trying to improve

24. Likes psacustomcreations, Lis2323, BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the process of building one of these. I'm sure you could sell a couple of these if you got good enough with your mock up, Layout, Cutting, fit up and welding skills.

Name:  Deere 3xx front weight bracket.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  109.4 KBName:  Deere 3xx front weight bracket 1.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  51.0 KB
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion FWIW, make or do something that you enjoy or else you will come to hate doing the work.
    Miller 350 Dynasty
    Miller Trailblazer
    Miller 625 Plasma
    Died and needs a new circuit board so its an expensive boat anchor now
    Lincoln Power MIG
    Victor oxy/acetylene
    Hyperthem 85

27. Likes BD1, Need Advice, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psacustomcreations View Post

I don't think you represented me very well. I have happily accepted suggestions in every thread. You guys helped me decide which tools to buy.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

29. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Im pretty much out of thread ideas anyway. I have no more questions. Thanks for your help folks.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

31. Likes BD1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look at furniture and trailers

If live in farming it harder to things build most farmers does welding too.

Dave

I was wondering if anyone would like to share welding or blacksmithing projects that sell pretty well. Maybe even books or videos demonstrating projects that have sold well. Thank you.

33. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    I'm in the process of building one of these. I'm sure you could sell a couple of these if you got good enough with your mock up, Layout, Cutting, fit up and welding skills.

Name:  Deere 3xx front weight bracket.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  109.4 KBName:  Deere 3xx front weight bracket 1.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  51.0 KB
    If you dont mind me asking, what is it?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    I look at furniture and trailers

If live in farming it harder to things build most farmers does welding too.

Dave
    Thanks Smithdoor.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist