Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasma cutting table question.

Post Thanks / Like

Plasma cutting table question.

What kind of table do you need for a plasma cutter? Wouldn't the plasma cutter cut through the stock and the table as well? I was thinking about making a pantograph or a similar copy machine in the future and this question came to mind. Thank you.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved. Romans 10:13

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plasma cutting table question.

I looked up plasma cutting tables and notice they have removable slats, i guess that answers my question. But are there other types of tables or it the removable slat style table all there is?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

The table would have thin vertical sacrificial slats for your workpiece to rest on.

Pic of mine…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

4. Likes N2 Welding, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    The table would have thin vertical sacrificial slats for your workpiece to rest on.

Pic of mine…

Thanks. It looks like the plasma cutting consumables just got more expensive, now i would need to buy slats too. Is there any other alternative?
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Need Advice View Post
    Thanks. It looks like the plasma cutting consumables just got more expensive, now i would need to buy slats too. Is there any other alternative?
    You can extend slat life when cutting pieces that could be supported like this….

:

Post Thanks / Like

You can extend slat life when cutting pieces that could be supported like this….

Thanks again, that's a good idea.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

You may need to rethink your new “hobby”.

Don’t take this personally but the common theme in all your posts is complaining about cost.

Consumable cost is a fact of life that we all experience and the sooner you accept that, the easier it will be for you mentally.

:

9. Likes _Weldman_, wb4rt liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You may need to rethink your new “hobby”.

Don’t take this personally but the common theme in all your posts is complaining about cost.

Consumable cost is a fact of life that we all experience and the sooner you accept that, the easier it will be for you mentally.

I was thinking that with the removable slat table you could just remove some slats and cut over the opening that would be created in the table top. Im not complaining, just pondering how to cut costs. I'm committed to my hobby though. Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

If you are cutting straight lines, just be adamant about positioning the piece so the cut falls between slats. Or if this hobby turns out to be lucrative “dream come true” then don’t worry about the associated costs with consumables. Time is money. The quicker you can bang out 500 pieces the quicker you can move on to other paying jobs/contracts etc. honestly once you look at how much work is involved in high volume repetitive piece work you begin to realize just how cut throat being a business man can be and the importance of charging a premium to cover not only all the costs of production “materials, rent space, utilities, insurance, machinery, labor, taxes, etc” but you need to also charge enough to make it worth your time and carry you through rough times during a rainy day. Consumables are written off against your taxes as cost of business expenses. As a hobbyist you just have to suck it up buttercup lol If you are into production it is good to be penny wise but at what point are you waisting time by spinning your wheels and stepping over dollars to save pennies.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-28-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by N2 Welding View Post
    If you are cutting straight lines, just be adamant about positioning the piece so the cut falls between slats. Or if this hobby turns out to be lucrative “dream come true” then don’t worry about the associated costs with consumables. Time is money. The quicker you can bang out 500 pieces the quicker you can move on to other paying jobs/contracts etc. honestly once you look at how much work is involved in high volume repetitive piece work you begin to realize just how cut throat being a business man can be and the importance of charging a premium to cover not only all the costs of production “materials, rent space, utilities, insurance, machinery, labor, taxes, etc” but you need to also charge enough to make it worth your time and carry you through rough times during a rainy day. Consumables are written off against your taxes as cost of business expenses. As a hobbyist you just have to suck it up buttercup lol If you are into production it is good to be penny wise but at what point are you waisting time by spinning your wheels and stepping over dollars to save pennies.
    Thanks. You have a point.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ what N2 said^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

14. Likes Need Advice, N2 Welding liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

^^^ what N2 said^^^

I’m just re-quoting in my own words what others have said and what makes the most sense to me.
    Lincoln, ESAB, Thermal Dynamics, Victor, Miller, Dewalt, Makita, Kalamzoo. Hand tools, power tools, welding and cutting tools.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. You have a point.
    At times it can be more of a blunt tip

17. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, slats last a long time. I have them on my CNC table and they have been on there for years. Scrape them off, flip them over to keep them warping evenly. Swap the most used for the less used. Daily use for probably 5 or more years.

19. Likes wb4rt, Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Meh, slats last a long time. I have them on my CNC table and they have been on there for years. Scrape them off, flip them over to keep them warping evenly. Swap the most used for the less used. Daily use for probably 5 or more years.
    thanks. Sounds good.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking maybe I'll get the plasma cutter and table first because its versatile. I can cut anything i need with it. Then later when i have more funds i can get the bandsaw.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I'm thinking maybe I'll get the plasma cutter and table first because its versatile. I can cut anything i need with it. Then later when i have more funds i can get the bandsaw.

Seriously? the bandsaw you already have is fine for cutting out rose petals. A new Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw is about $250. Any plasma cutter you get is going to be more expensive. If you get a GOOD plasma cutter worth owning, it is going to be nearly $1000 or more. You are going to go bankrupt making metal roses at this rate. I wouldn't invest in anything new except for maybe a SWAG offroad table for your portable bandsaw. I would wait until you have made and sold enough roses to justify the new equipment.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Seriously? the bandsaw you already have is fine for cutting out rose petals. A new Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw is about $250. Any plasma cutter you get is going to be more expensive. If you get a GOOD plasma cutter worth owning, it is going to be nearly $1000 or more. You are going to go bankrupt making metal roses at this rate. I wouldn't invest in anything new except for maybe a SWAG offroad table for your portable bandsaw. I would wait until you have made and sold enough roses to justify the new equipment.
    I appreciate the criticism but the plasma cutter i have in mind is only $400. It has a 3 year warranty and all good reviews. That's only $11 a month for 3 years. If it last longer the price goes down more. I waste more than that buying a pizza. Nothing wrong with starting out with cheap tools as long as they work.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-29-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

A good supply of clean dry air is a must for plasma. Jim colt use to be pretty active before he retired from Hypertherm and one thing he would always say is the cost of the consumables as well as how long they last can be the difference in ownership costs as the years go by. If the machine you have burns through nozzles and tips at 5 times the rate of a higher end machine you will eventually cross The threshold of cheaper not actually being cheaper. Another thing you might not be considering with the cheaper units is the cost of shipping the unit for RMA repair service. That can get upwards of $100 or more if paying both ways for repairs. Naturally if the machine lasts over 3 years and you make enough money from its use then the gamble pays off. If you are going to buy another plasma unit in 3 to 5 years or maybe even sooner if things work out to be profitable for you then you have to get to learn a new machine all over again. Air psi, cutting tips, amp settings, travel speeds will all be different and what might of took you a long time to get good at will be starting all over again lol. Good luck with all the tools you choose to go with.

25. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A good supply of clean dry air is a must for plasma. Jim colt use to be pretty active before he retired from Hypertherm and one thing he would always say is the cost of the consumables as well as how long they last can be the difference in ownership costs as the years go by. If the machine you have burns through nozzles and tips at 5 times the rate of a higher end machine you will eventually cross The threshold of cheaper not actually being cheaper. Another thing you might not be considering with the cheaper units is the cost of shipping the unit for RMA repair service. That can get upwards of $100 or more if paying both ways for repairs. Naturally if the machine lasts over 3 years and you make enough money from its use then the gamble pays off. If you are going to buy another plasma unit in 3 to 5 years or maybe even sooner if things work out to be profitable for you then you have to get to learn a new machine all over again. Air psi, cutting tips, amp settings, travel speeds will all be different and what might of took you a long time to get good at will be starting all over again lol. Good luck with all the tools you choose to go with.
    Thanks. You're right. The good thing about the Primeweld plasma cutter is it has cheap consumables. One customer said he uses this plasma cutter way more than his Miller 60 amp plasma cutter. He has a good machine and still recommends this cheap one.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. You're right. The good thing about the Primeweld plasma cutter is it has cheap consumables. One customer said he uses this plasma cutter way more than his Miller 60 amp plasma cutter. He has a good machine and still recommends this cheap one.
    That scenario makes no sense.

Why would a person with a 60 amp Miller go out and buy a $400 machine?

Or did he have a $400 machine first , realize it's limitations and then buy a Miller ?

Or is he an Instagram welder that got a Primeweld machine free ?

So many questions.

Maybe you should consider writing a blog reviewing YouTube weld/fab videos. Might be right up your alley and more profitable.

Good luck

:

Post Thanks / Like

Most of those cheap Chinese plasmas use a torch and consumables copied from the older L-tec / ESAB PT31 ot PT31 XL torch design. It is a small torch that does allow for good hand cutting and manipulation mainly because of the small compact size. It makes it easy to see what you are doing but I never could quite get use to it. It felt very small for my hands and difficult for me to get good at using. The torch head angle might of also had something to do with it.
    Last edited by N2 Welding; 09-29-2021 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of those cheap Chinese plasmas use a torch and consumables copied from the older L-tec / ESAB PT31 ot PT31 XL torch design. It is a small torch that does allow for good hand cutting and manipulation but I never could quite get use to it. It felt very small for my hands and difficult for me to get good at using. The torch head angle might of also had something to do with it.
    Primeweld also pays for shipping for warranty returns. This unit has the AG60 Torch.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel

Post Thanks / Like

Primeweld also pays for shipping for warranty returns. This unit has the AG60 Torch.
    Looks similar but a little different. I’m interested in hearing your feedback and seeing some results you obtain from this unit.

31. Likes Need Advice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see how people dry their compressed air. I plan on building an air dryer out of copper tubing and a water separator. Is there a better way? I plan on using a system of pipes and drain valves, along with a water separator and even a toilet paper roll style filter. I figure the combination will give me good filtration.
    Last edited by Need Advice; 09-30-2021 at 06:21 PM.
    Lincoln Pro MIG 180
    Chicago electric 225 Arc
    Harris oxy fuel