Thread: Help wiring my dual voltage Chinese welder

Post Thanks / Like

Help wiring my dual voltage Chinese welder

I have a Mitech MTC130D welder. I bought this welder back in 2007 from eBay. It has tig, plasma cut and Arc welding all in one. When I bought the machine it came without a plug and do remember installing a 110V plug on the machine. I have used the machine since 2007 with 110V.
    Iím moving my shop to a new pole building next to my house and Iím planning out the electric. I noticed the machine says 220v input, the label on the back gives spec for both 110V and 220v.
    I canít find the manual, and Mitech does not have any history of this machine. They did tell me the D in the model number does mean dual voltage. They said I can hook up to 220v and recommend it to get full capacity from the machine. They also told me they can not advise me on how to wire it since they donít have any documentation on the machine. If I hook this up to 220v will the inverter automatically detect the voltage and adjust? I see no jumpers inside or any wire diagrams.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help wiring my dual voltage Chinese welder

Are the red, blue and yellow/green wires in the second picture coming from the source(receptacle)? Could it be that the adapter cord is absent? I would think that internal connections would be done on a terminal block.
    IMPEACH BIDEN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNITWELD 175 AMP 3 IN1 DC
    MIDSTATES 300 AMP AC MACHINE
    GOD HELP AMERICA!
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.Ē BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAVEMANN View Post
    Are the red, blue and yellow/green wires in the second picture coming from the source(receptacle)? Could it be that the adapter cord is absent? I would think that internal connections would be done on a terminal block.
    Actually in that picture the blue wire and brown wires come from the receptacle. The brown wire splits into two wires and connects next to one relay with blade connectors. The brown wire does the same thing, splits into two wires and connects with blade connectors next to the other relay. There is a ground wire that comes from receptacle and it terminate to the chaise.

Post Thanks / Like

It would be a guess 🤔.
    Can you post a wiring diagram of welder
    http://www.mitech.cc/product.asp?ClassID=001004

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by matridium View Post
    I have a Mitech MTC130D welder. I bought this welder back in 2007 from eBay. It has tig, plasma cut and Arc welding all in one. When I bought the machine it came without a plug and do remember installing a 110V plug on the machine. I have used the machine since 2007 with 110V.
    Iím moving my shop to a new pole building next to my house and Iím planning out the electric. I noticed the machine says 220v input, the label on the back gives spec for both 110V and 220v.
    I canít find the manual, and Mitech does not have any history of this machine. They did tell me the D in the model number does mean dual voltage. They said I can hook up to 220v and recommend it to get full capacity from the machine. They also told me they can not advise me on how to wire it since they donít have any documentation on the machine. If I hook this up to 220v will the inverter automatically detect the voltage and adjust? I see no jumpers inside or any wire diagrams.
    Last edited by smithdoor; 09-29-2021 at 12:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm no electrical wizard, but that second pic you provided looks like a dual voltage auto switching pcb. With no user manual, guess away. Maybe someone who's an electrical engineer may answer up

Post Thanks / Like

If I was in front of the welder it not take long.
    But trying to do over the internet is hard to do without a wiring diagram.

But if look at the third photo you see a 220 input that may give the answer.

Need a bigger photo 📷

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kize View Post
    I'm no electrical wizard, but that second pic you provided looks like a dual voltage auto switching pcb. With no user manual, guess away. Maybe someone who's an electrical engineer may answer up

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a larger picture of the pc board

Post Thanks / Like

More pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Need bigger view of last photo.
    Sorry I edit the post.

Dave

More pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    Need bigger view of last photo.
    Sorry I edit the post.

Dave
    Is this photo you need?

Post Thanks / Like

If you look above the power cord entrance it says 220 volt. I would study it one last time for voltage jumper or switch. Is there a schematic anywhere ?

I am thinking it is time to use the only two leads you have and light it up with the 240 volt. It either works or makes majic smoke.

Temporarily connect it through a 5 amp fuse in either leg. If it isn't liking the 240 MAYBE the little fuse will blow instead of machine. If electronics fire up and seem to work yank the fuse out of circuit and weld.
    Last edited by danielplace; 09-29-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

European 220v single phase is 220v hot to neutral, or hot to ground.

US 220v single phase is 220v hot to hot, and 120v hot to ground.

I donít think that you will have good results hooking that machine up to US 220v, but defer to those more experienced than I.

@Willy B can you chime in?
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I bit the bullet and made up a cord and plugged it into 220v hot on each lead. It’s just 3 wires one was ground two hot. It fired up and ran fine no smoke. I did not try to weld but it appears to run with no problems. I was scared to do this but now I know. So it must somehow sense the voltage and automatically switch???

Post Thanks / Like

Is this photo you need?
    If look at very bottom photo to right you see a 220 input
    The photo clearly shows a single plug.
    Odds are some may have rewired and not change label or it still set for 220 volts and works on 120 volts.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

A good view of transformer wires on the input side can give clue.
    Typically it will 3 or 4 wires

Dave

Is this photo you need?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smithdoor View Post
    A good view of transformer wires on the input side can give clue.
    Typically it will 3 or 4 wires

Dave
    I wired it directly to 220v and it worked fine.. it must automatically detect the voltage?

Post Thanks / Like

Happy to hear it is automatically 😊

Dave

I wired it directly to 220v and it worked fine.. it must automatically detect the voltage?

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I bit the bullet and made up a cord and plugged it into 220v hot on each lead. Itís just 3 wires one was ground two hot. It fired up and ran fine no smoke. I did not try to weld but it appears to run with no problems. I was scared to do this but now I know. So it must somehow sense the voltage and automatically switch???
    Yeah. Like that voltage sensing circuit board i pointed out in my other post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post

I don’t think that you will have good results hooking that machine up to US 220v, but defer to those more experienced than I.

No way to have 120V line to neutral voltage if the supply is 220V, but 220V went away in the US before WWII. European voltages are 400/230V, with 230V being a line to neutral voltage, 400V line to line.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post

I donít think that you will have good results hooking that machine up to US 220v, but defer to those more experienced than I.

Single phase 120/240 is 240 volt phase to phase in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal01 View Post
    No way to have 120V line to neutral voltage if the supply is 220V, but 220V went away in the US before WWII. European voltages are 400/230V, with 230V being a line to neutral voltage, 400V line to line.
    Typo on my part - I should have said 120/240.

Nonetheless, the issue concerning the OP is not the voltage phase to phase; it's the voltage phase to neutral. European 220 (240) is measured phase to neutral, versus US is measured phase to phase. I don't know what influence that has on a Chinese welding machine that is rated for 120 or 220 (their markings).
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

With this type of gear, all that matters is voltage line to line. Can be leg to leg, or leg to neutral, just so all 3 (leg, leg, neutral) are not used at the same time. The welder sees the same voltage input and works . . .

- Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tadawson View Post
    With this type of gear, all that matters is voltage line to line. Can be leg to leg, or leg to neutral, just so all 3 (leg, leg, neutral) are not used at the same time. The welder sees the same voltage input and works . . .

- Tim
    Are you saying machine has 4 wires ? Hot, Hot. Neutral and Ground.

It only uses 3 wires total. Two are power and one is ground. There is no leg, leg and neutral and ground in the welder or it's cord.

The welder see's whether it is 120 volt or 240 volt and adapts to what is coming in.

Two are for your power and and your right it don't care if one leg is neutral or hot. If the other one is 120 and your other wire with a neutral from a 120/240 system it sees and gets 120 volt.

If you give one leg 120 and the other 120 then it sees and gets 240 volt and adapts electronically.
    Last edited by danielplace; 10-05-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was referring to the source, and how it was use, either leg to leg, or leg to neutral. Either woild be 3 wire to the welder . . . . 2 for power, and ground. The main point being that an inverter only cares about the voltage between it's feed wires, since it is otherwise isolated . . .