Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know of a 300 amp MIG that competes with the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know of a 300 amp MIG that competes with the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300?

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    30 meters is plenty for 99% of applications especially if it's possible to adjust settings from the handpiece I haven't actually considered a Super snake or push/pull set up, have you used one and have any feedback on how it works? I've never used one.
    I haven't used a sub feeder before, although we have considered them and looked at the nano feeder from Lorch i didn't get as far as even seeing one in the flesh. I have used a couple of push/pull setups, but both of them were un-synchronised - they had a weaker motor which assists with pulling the wire and speeds up/slows down with a constant torque, but does not properly "pull" the wire. I hated them, they were fine for steel wire at 10 metres long but not for pure alloy which was what I needed. I ended up using a Lorch standard push system which worked better for the pure wire we were using in the workshop.

The sub feeders and higher quality push/pull guns use stronger motors and give a proper "pull" to the wire, they are also synchronised to the wire feeder roll speed, and digitally controlled so you can use twinpulse and hot start/crater fill functions where the wirespeed varies. I know the Lorch systems offer both analogue and digital (syncronised) push/pull gun options and each one requires a different power card in the feeder to drive them, but for the nano feeder it's digital only.

These would be the 3 I would consider, personally
    https://www.ewm-sales.com/en/Compone...ive--6505.html
    https://www.lorch.eu/downloads%20pub...ch%C3%BCre.pdf
    https://www.kemppi.com/en-US/offerin...er/supersnake/

Obviously paired with an appropriate machine... for your use I'd have thought a Lorch P series mobile would be ideal, but would work on an S series or micormig. Lorch is my preferred brand, and I understand more about their setups than any other brand.
    On EWM, probably a Taurus or picomig.
    I have no idea about the Kemppi options, we went away from Kemppi as it's very expensive in our area, but still have a few older basic Kemppi sets in the shop and they're superb.

None of these options are cheap, but if you're looking long term benefits...

This might be interesting reading
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...ull-gun.79949/
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-06-2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I haven't used a sub feeder before, although we have considered them and looked at the nano feeder from Lorch i didn't get as far as even seeing one in the flesh. I have used a couple of push/pull setups, but both of them were un-synchronised - they had a weaker motor which assists with pulling the wire and speeds up/slows down with a constant torque, but does not properly "pull" the wire. I hated them, they were fine for steel wire at 10 metres long but not for pure alloy which was what I needed. I ended up using a Lorch standard push system which worked better for the pure wire we were using in the workshop.

The sub feeders and higher quality push/pull guns use stronger motors and give a proper "pull" to the wire, they are also synchronised to the wire feeder roll speed, and digitally controlled so you can use twinpulse and hot start/crater fill functions where the wirespeed varies. I know the Lorch systems offer both analogue and digital (syncronised) push/pull gun options and each one requires a different power card in the feeder to drive them, but for the nano feeder it's digital only.

These would be the 3 I would consider, personally
    https://www.ewm-sales.com/en/Compone...ive--6505.html
    https://www.lorch.eu/downloads%20pub...ch%C3%BCre.pdf
    https://www.kemppi.com/en-US/offerin...er/supersnake/

Obviously paired with an appropriate machine... for your use I'd have thought a Lorch P series mobile would be ideal, but would work on an S series or micormig. Lorch is my preferred brand, and I understand more about their setups than any other brand.
    On EWM, probably a Taurus or picomig.
    I have no idea about the Kemppi options, we went away from Kemppi as it's very expensive in our area, but still have a few older basic Kemppi sets in the shop and they're superb.

None of these options are cheap, but if you're looking long term benefits...

This might be interesting reading
    https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/...ull-gun.79949/
    You know, the more I look at the "super snake" or similar setup the more I don't like it, I it's more complexity then I think is needed, and the initial invest is pretty huge, an EWM Picomig 305 is running around 9 grand plus the push pull setup, and lorch isnt vewrt common here, I cant find anywhere with a price especially when it's competing with such a lightweight unit.

I came here looking for other options, and I don't really see any options that really appeal to me, I have realised that going from a really small MIG setup like an ESAB caddy MiG 200 to the Kemppi fitweld is a bigger step up in weight than I thought, on paper its a 3.5 kg difference, but the ESAB caddy mig is only 16.5 kg with a spool of wire, gun and earth, the fitweld is 15kg, but add in a 5 meter euro hande pice, 5kg of wire and a 5 meter earth and your looking at close to 25kg, but I found out the hard way that a 200 amp class machine just doesn't cut it, and a 250 amp machine is really borderline.

Post Thanks / Like

No worries fella just an option to think about.

Let us know how you get on with the fitweld setup, if you buy one.

This is why a lot of people go with seperate feeders or suitcases. It doesn't seem there is a magic solution that fixes the weight problem, the Fitweld seems closer to it than anything else on the market.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

It's an completely different game being self employed, especially knowing what my niche is.

I've done a lot of work on oil and gas sites welding heavy wall pipe with E81Ni dual shield, we ran lincoln LN25's directly off of an engine drive or miller XMT 450's with the 12V suitcase run off of a generator and that is generally the setup I see most mobile welder's using and I've realised that is a lot of **** to move just to weld, these days you can get machines small enough to do almost anything in a package that's way more portable than an engine drive and considerably cheaper.

Where I am a Miller trailer blazer 325 or a lincoln ranger 305D is running about the 15k mark and they don't even have 3 phase AUX power, you need to go up to the 400 amp machines at 20k plus to get 3 phase aux to run other equipment, and you cant fit them on the small utes we have here so add another 3 grand for a trailer to mount it on, add another few hundo for 60 meters of welding cable and 2-3k for a VS feeder and all of a sudden spending 7 k on a 16KVA 3 phase generator, 4k on a compact 300 amp welder and $500 on a 3 meter extension lead is sounds pretty good, and lets face it if you are stick welding on site the biggest rod you are using is 4mm/5/32 so you don't need more than a 160 amp caddy on the occasion the stick is called fore, and 99.9% of the time stick will be with a 3/32/2.4mm rod for a quick patch up repair.

When/if I do go for the fitweld I'll defiantly be posting a review and my thoughts but that won't be for a few months as I have a power stations shutdown coming up, but I should get a chance to run one of they're fitweld on that shut so it will be interesting to see what I think with some presh eyes on it.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-06-2021 at 05:57 AM.

5. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ttoks, I suggest asking vendors/dealers if they have any used demo units /customer returns that they could potentially offer to sell you at a discounted price but with some kimd of warranty. That is how I obtained some of my machines, and it worked out well for me.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

7. Likes ttoks liked this post