+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know of a 300 amp MIG that competes with the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know of a 300 amp MIG that competes with the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300?

I'm looking for a very portable MIG welder to be run off of a generator for remote repair of earthmoving equipment with dual shield, WPS spec is dual shield only (specifically Kobelco DW-50 wire with C25 gas) so that is a non negotiable, and I'm wanting to do this in a way where everything fit's in a small twin cab ute, I'm in Australia where ford F150/250 350, dodge rams, chevy whatevers are not readily available for under 100k new and no second-hand market for older models so a bigger vehicle is out of the question, my pickup is a 5 seat/twin cab D40 Nissan Navara, and I'm not a fan of a trailer setup with an engine drive, one because engine drive are very expensive, and trailers are inconvenient to tow through mine sites.

The best option I've been able to find for lightweight, high amperage MIG machine is the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300, 33LB, takes 11LB spools only (not a huge issue, I can get the wire specced in 11lb spools) 30% duty cycle at 300 amps.

Does anyone know of anything else that is in the same ballpark as this machine for weight, output and duty cycle?

Currant machine is a lincoln powercraft 250C which isn't cutting it, its 15 lb heavier than the kemppi, single phase which is a power delivery problem as here in Aus 32amp 240 volt is the single phase limit, anything more than that has to be 415volt 3 phase so getting a generator to run the lincoln at its max output isn't possible here.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-03-2021 at 12:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone know of a 300 amp MIG that competes with the Kemppi Fitweld EVO 300?

Fronius makes some nice stuff, but it looks awful expensive (they didn't show price ), and doesn't look like it takes a standard gun

Name:  TPS-320i-Compact.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  50.0 KB

That website has a lot of other off brands , probably chinese imitations. I figured they weren't what you were looking for, but there seemed to be no shortage of them.

Once you get over about 200 amps most MIG units get really big and go on casters, or become separate power supplies.

Good Luck with your search
    Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by albrightree View Post
    Fronius makes some nice stuff, but it looks awful expensive (they didn't show price ), and doesn't look like it takes a standard gun

Name:  TPS-320i-Compact.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  50.0 KB

That website has a lot of other off brands , probably chinese imitations. I figured they weren't what you were looking for, but there seemed to be no shortage of them.

Once you get over about 200 amps most MIG units get really big and go on casters, or become separate power supplies.

Good Luck with your search
    I'm pretty well aware of what Fronius has to offer, I had an EWM picomig 180 which competes with the fronius transsteel 2200, they're both around the weight i'm after under 35lb, both take 11lb spools, but the 180 and 220 amp output respectively doesn't touch what the kemppi does and both are single phase machines so even if they did they would have input current problems here in Aus with the 32amp single phase circuit limit we have, the Kemppi is MIG only with no pulse, synergic etc so it's a basic machine in comparison, but i just need straight CV with no bells and whistles.

where as the Fronius transsteel 2700 which is in the same output range as the kemppi is double the weight at 65 pounds, and the 300 amp Fronius is 76 pounds, getting more into the shop size/class machine rather than one you can easily throw over your shoulder and carry up 5 flights of stair's which is what I'm looking for.

Price you are about right, the 2200 fronius runs about 5k AUD, the 2700 closer to 8k, the Kemppi isn't exactly cheap either at around 3k, but its one of those situations where the price doesn't really matter that much if it does what I need it to.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-03-2021 at 04:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

that's pretty dang compact for a 300A MIG.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

5. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
    that's pretty dang compact for a 300A MIG.
    .....and it can run on 3phase 400 volt. I can hear the wheels spinning. Lol.

https://www.kemppi.com/en-US/offerin...y/fitweld-evo/

Post Thanks / Like

it is small, pretty much the size and weight of a remote wire feed unit.

I haven't found anything else from a known manufacture that is anywhere near it, but figured here would be the place to ask before i bite the bullet and buy one just in case there are other options out there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ttoks View Post
    it is small, pretty much the size and weight of a remote wire feed unit.

I haven't found anything else from a known manufacture that is anywhere near it, but figured here would be the place to ask before i bite the bullet and buy one just in case there are other options out there.
    In my opinion,, it is VERY possible that the manufacturer is taking some liberties with its advertising,, if the known manufacturers do not have a similar machine.

There was a thread discussing power tools, and one importer was saying that the tool was rated at 23 amps, when the typical outlet in the USA is only rated for 15 or 20 amps.
    We NEVER have an outlet that is over 20 amps,, but, the power tool was still bragging about the 23 amp power..

So,, it would be nice to have real feedback from a high amp user of the machine before you buy it,,,

Post Thanks / Like

15kg for a 300 amp MIG set is tiny! I've never heard of the like before. The only other thing that could compete would maybe be a compact multiprocess seperate, like a Lorch MX350, and even that would be two components. The MX350 is 18kg and the wire feeder 10kg.

Kemppi generally make some very good quality industrial machines, so I'd probably take their word for it - if they say its x amps at y % duty at z input amps, they're probably telling the truth. But it seems suspiciously light, even so.

probably one to get a demo of before you part with any money...

What about some long cables, and a smart suitcase feeder (remote adjustable voltage etc) and a pretty standard multiprocess like a Miller XMT or Esab Warrior?

One more thought - can you even get Kobelco DW-50 in small spools? It might rule out the Kemppi machine from the start. I wouldn't even consider a machine that couldn't take big spools, personally, but that's my needs not yours...
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-04-2021 at 07:36 AM.
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

Post Thanks / Like

Kemppi is one that I'd count as a known manufacture, they're not common in the U.S, but in Europe and here in AUS they're equivalent to a miller or a lincoln in terms of quality and trust in the manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    15kg for a 300 amp MIG set is tiny! I've never heard of the like before. The only other thing that could compete would maybe be a compact multiprocess seperate, like a Lorch MX350, and even that would be two components. The MX350 is 18kg and the wire feeder 10kg.

Kemppi generally make some very good quality industrial machines, so I'd probably take their word for it - if they say its x amps at y % duty at z input amps, they're probably telling the truth. But it seems suspiciously light, even so.

probably one to get a demo of before you part with any money...

What about some long cables, and a smart suitcase feeder (remote adjustable voltage etc) and a pretty standard multiprocess like a Miller XMT or Esab Warrior?

One more thought - can you even get Kobelco DW-50 in small spools? It might rule out the Kemppi machine from the start. I wouldn't even consider a machine that couldn't take big spools, personally, but that's my needs not yours...
    I can get DW-50 in 8 inch spools so that's not an issue, what is frustrating is not being able to find any -8 self shield flux core (NR232/233 or equivalent) in 5kg spools, I can get -11 easily enough, but being that -8 only comes in 1.6mm or larger I can probably re-spool some if I really needed to, but that one does sting a bit just as I know I would use it (not on machines but for structural work) if I could.

only being able to use 5kg spools I think it one of the things that allows it to be a light as it is, along with no multi process and not even inductance control, it's the same weight as the fronius transsteel 2200 but I'm betting it trades in all of the "nice to have" features for simply more raw output.

I have used the Kemppi before, the power stations I work at use them for internal boiler work, welding membrane tube together with Chro-mo dual shield mostly, and I don't doubt the output and duty cycle claims having used it, I was just wondering if there was another option out there that might do what this thing does.

I'm not keen on the idea of a large XMT/V350 power source with a suitcase purely due to size, I need to fit everything in this vehicle as that's what I have, and upgrading the vehicle to something bigger isnt an option because here in aus the next step up is a medium duty truck, think Isuzu/HINO/Fuso which is way out of the budget, and I'm not interested in a towed setup, as it is I can fit a toolbox (with everything I need, mag base, grinders, leads, battery tools with chargers etc), 3 gas bottles (C25, oxy and LPG) a ladder and my generator in the tray, the welder itself needs to fit in the rear footwell on one side and my oxy set on the other with my tool bag and welding helmets in the front passenger footwell as I also have to fit my kids car seats in the work vehicle, so space doesn't allow for a separate large power supply and wire feeder.

there's also the fact that welding cable is alot heavier than a 415 volt 3 phase extension lead, and I don't have to run out two heavy welding cables plus a control cable if the power source is on the job with me rather than on the ground, so that saves alot of weight that needs to be carried up and down stairs even if a remote smart suitcase is about the same weight.

Looking through Kemppis' lineup they do seem to do some wacky stuff that's pretty interesting, like the kempact ra which is an interesting idea for a workshop or maybe site work where you dont go vertical but might need to walk the machine around alot, the the Minarc Mig Evo's have been known where i am at least as one of the lightest and most durable small MIG machines, but only 200 amp rather than what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-04-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking for a very portable MIG welder to be run off of a generator for remote repair of earthmoving equipment with dual shield, WPS spec is dual shield only (specifically Kobelco DW-50 wire with C25 gas) so that is a non negotiable
    Do you have a three phase generator that will fit in your truck? The Kemppi unit you posted will not operate on single phase power. That's why it is so light. Equivalent single phase units from Miller and Lincoln weigh 70-80 pounds and up.
    Miller Multimatic 255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Louie1961 View Post
    Do you have a three phase generator that will fit in your truck? The Kemppi unit you posted will not operate on single phase power. That's why it is so light. Equivalent single phase units from Miller and Lincoln weigh 70-80 pounds and up.
    Yes, I've recently picked up one of These, 16 KVA 3 phase and 5.3 KVA single phase that fits perfectly in my ute/truck.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-04-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Whatever machine you get, purge all the air out of it and fill the case with helium. Knocks down the weight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Sent via smoke signals using my Lincoln buzzbox

15. Likes ttoks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    .....and it can run on 3phase 400 volt. I can hear the wheels spinning. Lol.

https://www.kemppi.com/en-US/offerin...y/fitweld-evo/
    nah, it doesn't have enough features to keep me interested. The only thing that would interest me is a twin/tandem- or triple-wire water-cooled MIG setup so I can pump out minimum of 600-700A like those bada$# Cloos/Fronius units. I've said too much already......
    Last edited by Oscar; 10-04-2021 at 09:20 PM.

17. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

nah, it doesn't have enough features to keep me interested. The only thing that would interest me is a twin/tandem- or triple-wire water-cooled MIG setup so I can pump out minimum of 600-700A like those bada$# Cloos/Fronius units. I've said too much already......
    You need one of these

https://promotions.lincolnelectric.com/hyperfill/

19. Likes 52 Ford, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I do have several MIGs already.....

Post Thanks / Like

Well I do have several MIGs already.....
    I don't see a reason you couldnt buy a dual wire torch and hook two machines to it.

Post Thanks / Like

I can get DW-50 in 8 inch spools so that's not an issue, what is frustrating is not being able to find any -8 self shield flux core (NR232/233 or equivalent) in 5kg spools, I can get -11 easily enough, but being that -8 only comes in 1.6mm or larger I can probably re-spool some if I really needed to, but that one does sting a bit just as I know I would use it (not on machines but for structural work) if I could.

only being able to use 5kg spools I think it one of the things that allows it to be a light as it is, along with no multi process and not even inductance control, it's the same weight as the fronius transsteel 2200 but I'm betting it trades in all of the "nice to have" features for simply more raw output.

I have used the Kemppi before, the power stations I work at use them for internal boiler work, welding membrane tube together with Chro-mo dual shield mostly, and I don't doubt the output and duty cycle claims having used it, I was just wondering if there was another option out there that might do what this thing does.

I'm not keen on the idea of a large XMT/V350 power source with a suitcase purely due to size, I need to fit everything in this vehicle as that's what I have, and upgrading the vehicle to something bigger isnt an option because here in aus the next step up is a medium duty truck, think Isuzu/HINO/Fuso which is way out of the budget, and I'm not interested in a towed setup, as it is I can fit a toolbox (with everything I need, mag base, grinders, leads, battery tools with chargers etc), 3 gas bottles (C25, oxy and LPG) a ladder and my generator in the tray, the welder itself needs to fit in the rear footwell on one side and my oxy set on the other with my tool bag and welding helmets in the front passenger footwell as I also have to fit my kids car seats in the work vehicle, so space doesn't allow for a separate large power supply and wire feeder.

there's also the fact that welding cable is alot heavier than a 415 volt 3 phase extension lead, and I don't have to run out two heavy welding cables plus a control cable if the power source is on the job with me rather than on the ground, so that saves alot of weight that needs to be carried up and down stairs even if a remote smart suitcase is about the same weight.

Looking through Kemppis' lineup they do seem to do some wacky stuff that's pretty interesting, like the kempact ra which is an interesting idea for a workshop or maybe site work where you dont go vertical but might need to walk the machine around alot, the the Minarc Mig Evo's have been known where i am at least as one of the lightest and most durable small MIG machines, but only 200 amp rather than what I'm looking for.
    I understand Yeah Kemppi tend to do stuff that others don't, like you say the minarcmig which is highly regarded, and the RA series, which were very hit-and-miss. (they didn't have the best reputation for reliability)
    They also do the supersnake which is, I've been told, the shipyard industry standard for sub-feeders.

A guy in Scotland I've dealt with does work on fishing boats and his setup is a seperate EWM Phoenix power source, a feeder, and a push/pull gun. Quite a nice package but again, quite a heavy power source which he leaves on the ground.

I bought the Lorch MX350 package for work for site work last year, we haven't used it much. It's a nice bit of kit, very compact and reasonably lightweight, with remote controls, but no remote readouts at the feeder which is a bit of a shame.

I have a Lorch Saprom S3 mobile in my own shop, it's a fairly compact machine but not THAT compact, and it still weighs 30kg+.
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-05-2021 at 03:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Munkul View Post
    I understand Yeah Kemppi tend to do stuff that others don't, like you say the minarcmig which is highly regarded, and the RA series, which were very hit-and-miss. (they didn't have the best reputation for reliability)
    They also do the supersnake which is, I've been told, the shipyard industry standard for sub-feeders.

A guy in Scotland I've dealt with does work on fishing boats and his setup is a seperate EWM Phoenix power source, a feeder, and a push/pull gun. Quite a nice package but again, quite a heavy power source which he leaves on the ground.

I bought the Lorch MX350 package for work for site work last year, we haven't used it much. It's a nice bit of kit, very compact and reasonably lightweight, with remote controls, but no remote readouts at the feeder which is a bit of a shame.

I have a Lorch Saprom S3 mobile in my own shop, it's a fairly compact machine but not THAT compact, and it still weighs 30kg+.
    That's spot on there mate, I've found that my niche is fast cost effective repair which my definition means I have to be minimalist, every action I can delete is a win for me and I want to get to a point where I can make three trips to the vehicle to get welder, tools and leads rather than 4-6 I do atm while still having the raw capability to do the heavy sort of work i'm doing, I don't do any shop work at all unless I'm getting paid wages (and they supply everything then), when I work for myself it's always field repair and field project work, and where I am known is being able to get things done within a short time frame and that comes down to trying my best to optimize my setup and pack up times for a job and setting things up as best I can to do it without help, the setup I have atm can do what I do but I'm right on the limit with it.

And I think more importantly than the cost/time factor is that as I move more towards self employment being my primary income the more I realise that make things easier on my body is important, I need to be able to do this for probably another 30-40 years, and that isn't going to happen dragging 40+ kg machines around on my own.
    Last edited by ttoks; 10-05-2021 at 03:48 AM.

24. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What's the furthest away from your truck that you'd normally be working?

Just thinking, would a supersnake or nano feeder not work well? You'd get 30m range from the machine with those, and that would just be dragging a gun and an earth lead to the job, not a machine itself. You'd also be able to use smart torch controls, which are a real time saver.

I have smart torch controls and readout on both my TIG and MIG set, they're genuinely useful and you come to rely on them for setting amps/arc length up and down, or switching between saved jobs. I rarely go back to the machine once set up.

I do some piece work and like yourself, I need to get it done well for the customer and fast for myself.
    Last edited by Munkul; 10-05-2021 at 05:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

30 meters is plenty for 99% of applications especially if it's possible to adjust settings from the handpiece I haven't actually considered a Super snake or push/pull set up, have you used one and have any feedback on how it works? I've never used one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    I don't see a reason you couldnt buy a dual wire torch and hook two machines to it.

It needs to accept 3 wires....Stop twisting my arm! I won't talk!

28. Likes 52 Ford liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

30 meters is plenty for 99% of applications especially if it's possible to adjust settings from the handpiece I haven't actually considered a Super snake or push/pull set up, have you used one and have any feedback on how it works? I've never used one.
    https://www.kemppi.com/en-US/offerin...er/supersnake/

Post Thanks / Like

Have you considered getting a wireless MIG torch?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 52 Ford View Post
    Have you considered getting a wireless MIG torch?

Nah, but I have thought about wireless stick

fronius battery powered 150 amp

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist