Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Argon tank from Craigslist?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Argon tank from Craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    A high volume, daily welder will always lease a tank, because leased tanks are large, and the gas, per cubic foot, will cost WAY LESS.
    Many of the bigger fab shops around here have owned tanks so saying they will always lease a tank isn't true as a general rule. I've bought dozens of welders from fab shops closing down around here and more than once they were selling bottles with paperwork. I've even been to one auction where they had some bottles for sale and others roped off that were leased bottles going back. With bottles I don't think there are many absolutes...it's all over the map.
    Check out my bench vise website:
    http://mivise.com

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Millermatic 350P with XR AlumaPro
    Miller Regency 200 with 22A feeder and Spoolmatic 3
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

With cylinders I don't think there are many absolutes...it's all over the map.

That right there is gospel!

3. Likes G-ManBart liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel stupid for writing this, but I was considering calling Matheson about my predicament, just to avoid a trip over there. I could call asking if they will fill or swap an owned 200 c/f bottle. I feel like saying that I bought this off CL will be an instant no, however I have no problem trying. As someone brand new to gas welding I must admit they don't make it very easy to ease into. I mean driving 40 minutes to find out its a rented cylinder would be a real bummer, but it could potentially save me 175 dollars, which is just shy of a months worth of lawnmowing money. I hope I'm not coming off as too hopeful, as it could easily be a scam. I'm not saying buying one from a gas company is out of the question, I'd just like to know my options before I drop 300 bucks (+ tax) on a 125 cf cylinder. I'm trying to see all of my potential options before I overpay, as I've seen many people say some places will overcharge. I'll also call some other welding suppliers nearby to see competitive pricing.
    Last edited by GoK4rtFanatic; 10-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have the seller send you pics of the neck ring, dates, and labels for the various tanks.
    Then contact the shop you might use.

I have five larger cylinders that I own. I use Arc3 gases near me and drop off a tank for refill then pick it up a week later.
    If it is a clean neck ring but has a different label, it should not matter where you get it filled.

I have had my tanks tested before and the valve changed on one of them

As you can see from the various responses, it is entirely dependent upon the local shop you use.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Millermatic 252 MIG
    Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG
    Miller Spectrum 625 Plasma
    Altas 12x36 Metal Lathe
    Bridgeport Milling Machine
    www.psacustomcreations.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoK4rtFanatic View Post
    I feel stupid for writing this, but I was considering calling Matheson about my predicament, just to avoid a trip over there. I could call asking if they will fill or swap an owned 200 c/f bottle. I feel like saying that I bought this off CL will be an instant no, however I have no problem trying. As someone brand new to gas welding I must admit they don't make it very easy to ease into. I mean driving 40 minutes to find out its a rented cylinder would be a real bummer, but it could potentially save me 175 dollars, which is just shy of a months worth of lawnmowing money. I hope I'm not coming off as too hopeful, as it could easily be a scam. I'm not saying buying one from a gas company is out of the question, I'd just like to know my options before I drop 300 bucks (+ tax) on a 125 cf cylinder. I'm trying to see all of my potential options before I overpay, as I've seen many people say some places will overcharge. I'll also call some other welding suppliers nearby to see competitive pricing.
    You say it's a predicament. Did you buy a bottle already?

Beyond ownership, there are size considerations. Around here a 200 isn't a common size so some dealers may not want to deal with it.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I think in the long run you would be better off to spend the $300 and have a tank YOU own with no problems and use that purchase to cultivate a relationship with your supplier.
    Agreed. Do this for peace of mind. Keep the bill of sale for the day (if and when) you may need to sell it.

Get welding instead of dealing with stressing out dealing with questionable bottles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

GoK4rtFanatic, you've been told several times that it would be a lot easier to help you if you'd tell us where you are. Where are you!!!!

Regardless of what dealers will tell you about neck rings or that they own all of them with certain rings or within certain sizes all of them have exchanged owner cylinders for company owned ones, sold cylinders with company neck rings, lost them in bankruptcies or mergers ad nauseum. Add to that the tens (hundreds?) of thousands of legacy bottles from extinct companies, unmarked ones from the last 100+ years etc and it is really a can of worms. Somewhere in one of my welding books is a picture of one dated in the late 1800s with a later NAZI symbol on it from the 1930s or 1940s. Who knows how it got to the USA?

One of mine came in a former military electronics maintenance set installed in an S-280 portable electronics shelter back in my military surplus dealer days and was used for oil free nitrogen to purge heavy anti-armor missile launcher optics. It's stamped US Gov't property and there has never been an issue getting it re-certified or filled.

Best regards,

Lance
    Lance

Multimatic 255 w/MDX-250 EZ-Select gun
    Hypertherm Powermax45 XP
    Heck Bevel Mill 4000
    Miller/Smith heavy duty torch set
    9" Evolution circular saw

Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point, I am in Houston, Texas, not sure how that helps but thatís where I am.

Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point, I am in Houston, Texas, not sure how that helps but that’s where I am.
    People around there might be able to give you an idea what the local stores are willing to do with exchanges.

Another thing to consider... those big cylinders are heavy. I don't like picking them up to put them on a cart for welding or lifting them into a truck.
    Airco Ac/Dc 300 Heliwelder
    MillerMatic 200 (stolen)
    Miller Maxstar 150STL
    Miller AEAD200LE (welding and generating power)
    Hobart MIG

11. Likes Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My local welding supply will sell 160 cu.ft. cylinders but the larger 300 cu. ft. cylinders are leased only. Rather than taking a chance on a Craigslist deal with unknown ownership, condition and exchangeability, I simply bought a 160 cu. ft. argo cylinder and that was that. Now, when it gets low, I just take a trip to the supplier, trade it in and pay only for the gas, tax and Haxmat fee. It's usually ariund $50 out the door and some companies are even less expensive.

Another issue with anything from Craigslist or a private seller, even if they are exchangeable, is whether they are out of date on hydro-testing. If you can read and understand the dates properly, you can avoid this issue since there is usually an extra charge for hydro-testing if the tank is out of date.

For the afore-mentioned issues, I much prefer dealing with the local welding supply.
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set

13. Likes 12345678910 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You make a good point, I am in Houston, Texas, not sure how that helps but that’s where I am.
    It helps a lot if someone near you knows where they swap tanks without a bunch of BS.

I don't have more than $100 in any of my all customer owned tank collection. 6-250's 12- 125's and a few 80's. All purchased second hand from all over. Craigslist, swap shop, pawn shops are good places to find them.

I have never got burned with a useless one. You have to know how/what to look for and how to play the game at the gas suppliers.

15. Likes wb4rt, psacustomcreations liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yer outta luck on a lease as you need an account and they only lease 300CF

Good lawdy 125cf jugs are $$$$
    I called two places in Houston
    Mathewson $300.00
    Big Tex Welding Supply $335.00

Both were VERY hesitant on answering an exchange possibility on those CL cylinders, most likely
    "no".
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Buy a stick welder at Home Depot!! Let's get welding!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SweetMK View Post
    Buy a stick welder at Home Depot!! Let's get welding!!
    he wants to learn Tig.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211 (Sold)
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Klutch 120v Plasma cutter
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you can also rent a tank from a supplier. I rent 6 Oxy and 3 Acet. 2000psi and 1600psi, they charge me $5 a month for each tank for a total of $45 +tax. I can write the rental off and never have to worry about the tanks (testing etc).
    Lincoln 330 MPX
    Modified Tombstone
    Lincoln LN-25X-TVT
    Magnum PRO 250LX GT Spool Gun
    ľ Ton of Torches OFC-A / OFG-A
    SMAW FCAW GMAW
    Air Carbon Arc Gouging
    #Freebird Welds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freebirdwelds View Post
    Dude, you can also rent a tank from a supplier. I rent 6 Oxy and 3 Acet. 2000psi and 1600psi, they charge me $5 a month for each tank for a total of $45 +tax. I can write the rental off and never have to worry about the tanks (testing etc).
    The OP is already aware of that and has mentioned it in this thread. He also can't write the rental off as he's not a business.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thatís a good point. Before I do that, however, I was just wondering if this tank would be any better. Iím not sure about the cylinder in the very front, but the one on the far left says oxygen. Are these okay for 2000 psi of argon/ the needs I stated in the original post? Thank you.

Sometimes the welding supply store will let you trade cylinders for something else. You might call your local store and ask if they would take those as a trade for an argon cylinder. The worst they can do is tell you no.

Post Thanks / Like

You can buy 125 cu ft Argon tank already filled for $160 all day long somewhere in most areas.
    https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls...362679997.html

They usually have these in customer owned and in stock at most gas suppliers to swap later without a hassle.

It is perfect size so you get a better deal on gas and don't run out as fast as a 80 that costs the same to fill pretty much.

There are at least a dozen threads on here about the in and outs of purchasing second hand tanks without breaking the bank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by danielplace View Post
    You can buy 125 cu ft Argon tank already filled for $160 all day long somewhere in most areas.
    https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/tls...362679997.html

They usually have these in customer owned and in stock at most gas suppliers to swap later without a hassle.

It is perfect size so you get a better deal on gas and don't run out as fast as a 80 that costs the same to fill pretty much.

There are at least a dozen threads on here about the in and outs of purchasing second hand tanks without breaking the bank.
    $160 full is a steal for a 125 ft≥! Heck it's a steal even if it was empty!
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Well this looks hopeful, Iíll call matheson tmrw morning and see what they say. Iíll also keep browsing CL and keep my options open. The seller Iím talking to right now says he ďhas a guyĒ who can make it smooth neck which makes me less and less trustworthy.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this looks hopeful, I’ll call matheson tmrw morning and see what they say. I’ll also keep browsing CL and keep my options open. The seller I’m talking to right now says he “has a guy” who can make it smooth neck which makes me less and less trustworthy.
    Don't worry. Most of the customer owned in any given suppliers inventory is a grind off. They deal freely in these tanks. Especially at Matheson. You can only get 250 customer owned by ordering it from out of town then when it comes it is a grind off tank not one but both of them last time were grindoffs after waiting a month to get them. Sloppy grind offs at that. Jeez you should see the mess on some of the rings sometimes.

Typical of what you get for customer owned. A grind off. You want to tell them to shove it but if you want gas you take it.

Last edited by danielplace; 10-04-2021 at 10:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, Iíll ask him who ďthe guyĒ he had wanted to do it is.

Edit: He says the guy who can make it a smooth neck is in LA and it will take at least a week to do. No idea if heís gonna charge me for shipping, + no way to be sure if matheson would even take it. I think I must reluctantly accept the idea buying one from the gas supplier or Amazon. Bummer.
    Last edited by GoK4rtFanatic; 10-04-2021 at 11:22 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, I’ll ask him who “the guy” he had wanted to do it is.

Edit: He says the guy who can make it a smooth neck is in LA and it will take at least a week to do. No idea if he’s gonna charge me for shipping, + no way to be sure if matheson would even take it. I think I must reluctantly accept the idea buying one from the gas supplier or Amazon. Bummer.
    That alone says enough that they aren't legit. The neck ring can be removed and replaced by someone who actually knows what they're doing. This guy is likely just another clown selling tanks with questionable histories.

Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Hobart Champion Elite
    Everlast PowerTig 210EXT

Post Thanks / Like

Thatís a good point. Before I do that, however, I was just wondering if this tank would be any better. Iím not sure about the cylinder in the very front, but the one on the far left says oxygen. Are these okay for 2000 psi of argon/ the needs I stated in the original post? Thank you.

Those all appear to be lease bottles and not owner bottles. If you try to have them filled the welding company will either confiscate them (if they are theirs) or refuse to fill them. The only owner bottles that size typically do not have any markings on the ring around the valve neck.
    Miller Trailblazer Pro 350D
    Miller Suitcase MIG
    Miller Spectrum 2050
    Miller Syncrowave 250DX
    Lincoln 210MP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scsmith42 View Post
    The only owner bottles that size typically do not have any markings on the ring around the valve neck.
    Thatís not necessarily true.
    I own cylinders that have names on the neck rings.
    We can have this discussion until the cows come home but the only thing that matters is what the gas supplier says that he takes his cylinder to.

30. Likes Lis2323, 12V71, wb4rt, danielplace liked this post