Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got A Stupid Total Newb Sheetmetal Question

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Got A Stupid Total Newb Sheetmetal Question

I only use calipers for machining work. I don't think you will miss a caliper if you do not have one.

Vernier calipers are not my preferred method for determining metal thickness, especially with burs. A gage is better and more robust.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ambull01 View Post
    That's true about converting inch to metric although I was hoping a dial or veneer caliper would force me to learn to do that on my own lol. Digital does sound nice though.

Didn't realize you could use it as a scribe,
    There are actually 3 types of calipers,,

1) Dial
    2) Digital [battery required]
    3) Vernier caliper

The Vernier caliper is sometimes available at the lowest cost,, and sometimes, it is the MOST expensive.
    This is the type a true toolmaker uses,, because it is the most accurate, if it is the expensive one.
    It is kinda tricky to learn to read,, but, after you learn it, it is actually the easiest to use for the typical shop use.

the cheap one is great for doing layout scribe type work.
    It is great for layout because the stainless that they are made out of is REALLY hard, so it scratches metal very nicely.

This one is on Amazon for ~$16 {it is both inch and metric}
    Notice there are no gears or racks to catch dirt and grit like a dial caliper. it keeps on being accurate,

Post Thanks / Like

Calipers are also available with carbide tipped jaws . I haven't noticed any wear on regular ones scribing altho it possibly could be an issue over time. " Let's go Brandon"

Post Thanks / Like

Okay ordered a digital and vernier caliper, just in case the digital craps out on me again.

Found this super ugly steel table on Offerup, it's my first time using the app/site. I've been trying to look everywhere I can think of for steel to practice on. If this doesn't work as a welding table then I guess I could just cut it up and use it to make something. Seller was asking $150 but I'm going to buy it for $120. Figure that's still a good deal for the amount of steel.

Post Thanks / Like

Project suggestion: you could make the tub at the end into a downdraft table. Blow those fumes outside or onto your neighbor.
    ---Meltedmetal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    Project suggestion: you could make the tub at the end into a downdraft table. Blow those fumes outside or onto your neighbor.
    Hell yeah, that's a great idea lol. It is a really ugly table I must say, hopefully I can clean it up a bit, maybe paint some of it. Time to look for a motor that can suck up all the fumes/smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Just my opinion. Do not take the table even if itís free.

You will spend too time and effort trying to make something of it and most likely end up with something equally ugly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Just my opinion. Do not take the table even if it’s free.

You will spend too time and effort trying to make something of it and most likely end up with something equally ugly.

lol. You don't think it would work as a welding table? The pictures are pretty crappy so I can't really make out how thick it is. Figured I could at least use the table part and maybe let my wife use the sink contraption as a gardening table.

Post Thanks / Like

lol. You don't think it would work as a welding table? The pictures are pretty crappy so I can't really make out how thick it is. Figured I could at least use the table part and maybe let my wife use the sink contraption as a gardening table.
    Fair enough.

It may be better to physically see it but at an asking price of $150 coupled with those crappy photos I would give it a pass.

:

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.

It may be better to physically see it but at an asking price of $150 coupled with those crappy photos I would give it a pass.

That top looks to be thin gauge sheet metal with broke edges. Pretty much a pain to work with. I would pass. " Let's go Brandon"

Post Thanks / Like

Fair enough.

Yep I shouldn't have committed to buying it. Another ill-advised purchase on my part.

I'm buying it for $120 so a little better lol. If it turns out to be thin metal then I'll pass on it and drive to Harbor Freight for their $70 welding table.

Quote Originally Posted by M J D View Post
    That top looks to be thin gauge sheet metal with broke edges. Pretty much a pain to work with. I would pass. " Let's go Brandon"
    I think you're right about that sliding top, it does look really thin. What's this "Let's go Brandon" thing?

Now I want to cancel the meetup but already told the guy I would take it for $120 and we're supposed to meet today at in a couple hours. Facepalm.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep I shouldn't have committed to buying it. Another ill-advised purchase on my part.

I'm buying it for $120 so a little better lol. If it turns out to be thin metal then I'll pass on it and drive to Harbor Freight for their $70 welding table.

I think you're right about that sliding top, it does look really thin. What's this "Let's go Brandon" thing?

Now I want to cancel the meetup but already told the guy I would take it for $120 and we're supposed to meet today at in a couple hours. Facepalm.
    Yeah I think you would be disappointed with that mess. Well it's obviously my support for nascar's Brandon Brown. " Let's go Brandon"

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I think you would be disappointed with that mess. Well it's obviously my support for nascar's Brandon Brown. " Let's go Brandon"
    Okay I looked up this let's go Brandon thing lol. Never heard of it till now. I can't watch Nascar, my parents used to watch races but it's too boring for me. Around and around in circles.

My first day of the welding class is tomorrow! So excited, hope I'm not the worst student. Called the instructor and asked if I could bring my Hobart 210MVP and he said sure. Figured it would be best to really learn how to operate the machine I will use at home. Also, bit of false advertising but the the instructor said it's from 9-3 pm so it will be less than the advertised 16 hours for two days. I imagine they take lunch breaks too so maybe only 10 hours total for two days with 1 hour lunches. I'm a bit disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I looked up this let's go Brandon thing lol. Never heard of it till now. I can't watch Nascar, my parents used to watch races but it's too boring for me. Around and around in circles.

My first day of the welding class is tomorrow! So excited, hope I'm not the worst student. Called the instructor and asked if I could bring my Hobart 210MVP and he said sure. Figured it would be best to really learn how to operate the machine I will use at home. Also, bit of false advertising but the the instructor said it's from 9-3 pm so it will be less than the advertised 16 hours for two days. I imagine they take lunch breaks too so maybe only 10 hours total for two days with 1 hour lunches. I'm a bit disappointed.
    I can't stand NASCAR either. Good luck with your class as I'm sure you will pick up on things that are hard to describe but easier to show. " Let's go Brandon"

Post Thanks / Like

I can't stand NASCAR either. Good luck with your class as I'm sure you will pick up on things that are hard to describe but easier to show. " Let's go Brandon"
    When you replaced the panels on your truck, what did you use to paint it? I bought a bunch of Victory Red rattle cans and clear coat but Iím thinking I should just buy a spray gun and real automotive paint and clear coat.

I think Iím about ready to do the panels. Iíll have to lay down plastic sheeting everywhere in the garage to keep dust down and figure out how to block the open garage door(truck canít fully fit into the garage).

Post Thanks / Like

When you replaced the panels on your truck, what did you use to paint it? I bought a bunch of Victory Red rattle cans and clear coat but Iím thinking I should just buy a spray gun and real automotive paint and clear coat.

I think Iím about ready to do the panels. Iíll have to lay down plastic sheeting everywhere in the garage to keep dust down and figure out how to block the open garage door(truck canít fully fit into the garage).
    I got some leftover paint from someone I know. If I recall it was Dupont acrylic enamel, I think Centari. I would probably get the dupli color from O'Reilly. I think they call it " perfect match". I believe it's a laquer, so it's easy to spray and economical. Be sure to use a " sealer primer" over your sandable primer and existing paint to insure it doesn't craze or lift.