+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pipe Stands

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pipe Stands

2. Likes bfjou812 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You know why they call it mad cow disease? Because PMS was taken...
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

4. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a 200% price increase on steel within the last 12 months.
    Everything else is creeping up too.

It's nothing to do with which joker sleeps in the white house, either... come on people
    Murphy's Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold, makes the rules.

6. Likes _Weldman_, Lis2323, whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Attachment 1732095 Most of the steel is cut, and marked for drilling.............well, about half I guess.

I was able to come up with a design that uses very little steel, or at least LESS steel. So, at this point..............the 2 1/2 tubing cost is right around $52 for 48". I'm not sure what the angle cost, it's been on the rack for years. There's only 39" of it anyways.

Was gonna get it all machined, but we have heavy storms coming in. I don't like being in the shop when it's bad.
    You guys okay??

Did that tornado pass you by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

Post Thanks / Like

Waving a piece of meat over the fire for 3 seconds doesn't qualify as cooking
    I would call that overdone.

9. Likes Lis2323, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    LOL. “fraidie hole”. Sure glad you clarified what you meant
    A "fraidie hole" is where a "fraidie cat" goes to in a bad storm. (did you ever try to spell "fraidie, frady, fraidey, etc....???)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    A "fraidie hole" is where a "fraidie cat" goes to in a bad storm. (did you ever try to spell "fraidie, frady, fraidey, etc....???)
    Also known as a hidey hole We don't have one. The old one was dozed when they took down Grama's house. It was just a hole under the foundation, lined with cinder blocks. K'kins goes to her Mom's, and I sit in the bathtub with the dog, scratchin' his ears He thinks it's a little strange, but he's all in when you start scratching.

Tornados have been worse in Arkansas, than OK, the past few years. I'm wondering if there's a permanent weather change goin' on????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Gawd, what a day................

First off, I couldn't decide where to drill the stinkin' holes. They have to fit pretty tight, but still need enough slop to get the pins in.

Got that solved, then proceeded to sharpen the drill bit

Name:  pipe stands10.jpg
Views: 923
Size:  211.9 KB I took a perfectly good drill bit, and whittled it down to nothing I can't see well enough to sharpen tools if I have to maintain an angle. I really used to enjoy sharpening bits,, but this is a different story. Sucks. DECEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the bit sharpened, and proceeded to drill all the holes...........SO I THOUGHT. I got to lookin' at the pieces layin' there, and doggone if there weren't enough. I need 12...............NOT 6

Name:  pipe stands7.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  220.0 KB CUT UP ANOTHER $5000 WORTH OF STOCK FOR THE REST OF THE PIECES.

Name:  pipe stands6.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  217.5 KB Finally got it right.................GEEZ!!!!!!!!!!

Name:  pipe stands8.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  199.5 KB

The channel varies between 1 3/8 to almost 1 1/2 wide across the flanges. I guess different production runs were used when I made my sawhorses. Anyways....................I've allowed about 1/16-1/8 clearance between pins, and channel. I'm thinking this will tighten up when I weld the angle to the tubing. It will pull when welded. If it does, I'm golden. If not...................meh.......

Name:  pipe stands9.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  185.5 KB

Post Thanks / Like

You guys okay??

Did that tornado pass you by?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still here..............dispensing priceless wisdom on the IntrawebName:  mutley.gif
Views: 920
Size:  9.3 KB

14. Likes Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I havent read the whole thing, just the first post. I wanted to throw this in real quick.

I built my own custom tops to my store bought pipe stands with scaffolding adjustable legs. They are basically the same thread, size (remember these are junk and built only for scaffolding and ot really rated for weight).

They work out very well and are cheap.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

16. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also known as a hidey hole I'm wondering if there's a permanent weather change goin' on????????????????
    A "hidey hole" is what we used as kids when we got in bad trouble and Mama was lookin' for us with a willow switch!!!.....LOL

Well, from what I see and hear, you are probably right dead on about a permanent weather change.....but that's probably gonna change back when the ice caps and glaciers start re-forming in the next 10,000-50,000 years. I am anxiously waiting.....

18. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There would be no end to what you could build if you had a real shop.

20. Likes _Weldman_, farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Today was weld dayName:  t519276_scared-smiley-emoticon.gif
Views: 801
Size:  393 Bytes

Name:  pipe stands16.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  209.4 KB It was sort of a mixed bag, until I was able to sort of solve a problem

Name:  pipe stands12.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  193.8 KB I'm welding the tubing to the angle the "hard" way. A horizontal weld pushing the metal into the curve formed by the tubing. This was leading to fingernailing............which was causing the puddle to fall apart as it progressed. This required rod manipulation to shove the metal back into the puddle to prevent undercut.

Name:  pipe stands11.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  193.7 KB Then it started to come together.

Name:  pipe stands17.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  225.9 KB I was trying my darnedest to just let the metal flow into the joint................when I was able get rid of the fingernailing, it went better. The key was to shove the rod into the joint HARD, once the fingernail started to form, and the puddle started to act weird.

I didn't think to grab some Excalibur, and see if it fingernailed like the Atom Arc. Seems to me I've never had the problem this bad in the past. I do a lot of tubing welds like this.

Anyways, I was just damn glad I could see well enough to weld. It was a partly cloudy day, and I was in good light. AND K'KINS LENT ME HER GLASSES WHEN I STEPPED ON MINE. She gets her reading glasses from WalMart (Foster Grant), and I get mine from Dollar General. Hers seem to be a tad better than mine. None of it will matter come December, I hope.

22. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  pipe stands13.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  212.5 KB Completely welded out one to check the fit.

Name:  pipe stands14.jpg
Size:  229.6 KB Then finished out the others.

Name:  pipe stands18.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  166.0 KB K'KINS GLASSES BTW............micrometer, and steel arrived today.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking a look under the hood, as they say Let's break down what happens inside a puddle when the flux coating starts to fingernail.

Name:  pipe stands19.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  234.0 KB Instead of the current going into the root of the joint, it starts to stray to one side..........into, in this case, the angle iron instead of the tubing. This will cause undercut at the top toe against the tubing.

Name:  pipe stands20.jpg
Views: 804
Size:  213.1 KB If you shove the rod into the joint until you actually hit the steel with the flux, the fingernail will break, and the current start to flow into the root again. It's like operating a plunger............keep shoving it in there, let it flow, and shove it in again..........all the way to the end of the weld from where it first started to run weird.

25. Likes VaughnT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Like I'm sayin'................this is a very common type of weld for me.

I looked back at a comparison of Excalibur to Acclaim (Atom Arc) that I did when putting together the new bale spike attachment some time back.

Excalibur

Name:  spike36.JPG
Size:  108.5 KB

Acclaim

Name:  spike37.JPG
Views: 811
Size:  193.7 KB

Both of these rods have very thick flux coating, and both leave heavy slag deposits. The Acclaim has a better, hotter, dig. The Excalibur is more of a soft arc that requires rod manipulation to drive the metal into the joint and fill it.

I can't imagine that I was having arc problems when these welds were made, or I would have noticed it..........especially since they were heavy, full fill, welds completely out to the shoulder of the top piece of tubing.

Judging by the dingleberries, the Excalibur weld was having some arc blow issues.................the Acclaim was in a better spot that didn't have a magnetic flux goin' on. Other than that, they ran predictably as far as I can remember.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to remember..........................I'm running comparisons with a small transformer machine. 125/225 Lincoln Crackerbox. It's maxed out to run 1/8 7018.

I'd hazard a guess that running them on the engine drive would smooth out the differences. I generally run 1/8 7018 in 3rd gear with the fine tune down in the lower end of the band. If you have the extra power, it's easier to fine tune the way a rod's running.

Post Thanks / Like

This pic reminded me of something but I just couldn’t put my finger on it ‘til now…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

29. Likes whtbaron, 12V71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OUCH!!!

Post Thanks / Like

This pic reminded me of something but I just couldn’t put my finger on it ‘til now…

"Brakes are good, tires are fair" From Hot Rod Lincoln.

32. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What were they thinking?? Don't they know if you open the window, you can put milk crates on the counter and level that beam?
    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Vevor MIG 200A
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Vevor Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

34. Likes 12V71, Lis2323, Roert42 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    What were they thinking?? Don't they know if you open the window, you can put milk crates on the counter and level that beam?
    That’s a redneck load levelling beam…

:

36. Likes whtbaron liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No leveling was necessary. Just chain the motor to the beam, then everyone goes in to the kitchen, and lifts the beam up to remove the motor. Then they can use the kitchen table and a step stool to hold it up to work on, or load into a pick-up bed.Name:  step stool.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  55.2 KB

Airco 250 ac/dc Heliwelder Square wave
    Miller Synchrowave 180 sd
    Miller Econo Twin HF
    Lincoln 210 MP
    Dayton 225 ac/dc
    Victor torches
    Snap-On YA-212
    Lotos Cut60D
    Primeweld 225 ac/dc
    Primeweld mig180
    Miller AEAD-200

38. Likes whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Man........I Tell You What

After all the time wasted (depends on yer viewpoint) stressing over the design on the crane, I figured I ought to at least finish up on the pipe stands..........so's I can get done with the shaft threading after these are done.

DON'T GET PAST YER PRIME!!!!!!!!!!! IT POSITIVELY SUCKS.

I didn't do any drawings on these, although there was a time I didn't need drawings on something like this.

Name:  pipe stands30.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  233.3 KB I'm getting ready to drill the holes in the telescoping piece on the stands..............and I'm lookin' at these. Then it hits me like a rock, right between the eyes. My holes are in the wrong place on the main thingy. To be more correct................I NEED MORE HOLES. Luckily I caught this, or I'd have a real mess on my hands.

The threaded rod will be retained by the adjusting nut, and sit in a hole to move free. BUT THE DAMN ROD HAS TO HAVE A SLEEVE TO KEEP IT FROM TILTING. Can't support a bunch of weight on just an Acme nut..............the rod that protrudes down in the hole has to be braced against side sway.

So, for 3" of adjustment, the rod has to protrude another 3" down in the hole, and be enclosed in a piece of DOM to keep it from wanting to tilt under a heavy load. You're lookin' at 6" of Acme rod for 3" of adjustment. Half that rod, inside the DOM at full 3" extension.

Name:  pipe stands28.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  185.8 KB (That ain't undercut......Homey don't do undercut! Zoom in on it if'n ya don't believe me.) Well HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!! I only have one hole in the damn tubing, and it's not gonna allow a bolt to pass through it, and the damn DOM tubing inside the telescoping piece So.................I gotta have a hole 6" below the first hole to clear the damn Acme rod THIS PARTICULAR PIECE IS STARTIN' TO LOOK LIKE SWISS CHEEEEEEEEZ.

Name:  pipe stands27.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  206.3 KB Now, I got it under control, and re-mark the telescoping piece to match the new hole in the main piece Threaded rod clearance + weld clearance...........it's a PITA.

Name:  pipe stands29.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  203.6 KB The doggone thing is already welded up, and I gotta figure out how to set it up in the drill press to run right with those bigazz ears stickin' out. Fingered it out, and all's well with the world.............the Earth is runnin' on greazed grooooves once again.

DO NOT GET OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drill the stinkin' parts in the AM, and finish up with the cap/DOM thingy. Geez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily, I only gots 4 to do, because I drilled holes in two of 'em in what I thought, at the time, was the wrong place This is rapidly descending to a level where the Uranorater is ready for deployment. Name:  in da crapper.JPG
Views: 539
Size:  206.0 KB

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

A) Welding/Fabrication Shop
B) Plant/Production Line
C) Infrastructure/Construction/Repair or Maintenance/Field Work
D) Distributor of Welding Supplies or Gases
E) College/School/University
F) Work Out of Home

A) Corporate Executive/Management
B) Operations Management
C) Engineering Management
D) Educator/Student
E) Retired
F) Hobbyist