Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 138

Thread: Pipe Stands

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pipe Stands

    Name:  pipe stands4.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  221.4 KB This is probably the beginning of stagflation, mark my words. I don't see how anybody can keep a business going when something like this crappy 10' piece of 2 1/2 x 3/16 tubing costs $130 F'n Dollars.

    I have quite a bit of steel on the rack, bought when prices were real. If it were not for that stuff, I wouldn't be making anything. When your steel starts to cost more than your welding equipment, it's time to hang it up.

    Job numbers were poor last week, lagging expectations. The coneheads chalk it up to Covid. I think they're wrong. Inflation is trickling down to affect all business enterprises. This is unsustainable.

    Anyways........I guess the work starts tomorrow.

    6 stands, at retail price, would run around $480. With the steel prices today, I'm going to be lucky to come in at slightly above 2/3 that cost.

    130 steel
    45ish threaded rod
    40ish Acme nuts
    and this doesn't take into account the 2" 11ga tubing off the rack, if I were to pay for it at today's prices.

    THIS IS BULL$#!^

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    central Wis.
    Posts
    5,985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  pipe stands4.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  221.4 KB This is probably the beginning of stagflation, mark my words. I don't see how anybody can keep a business going when something like this crappy 10' piece of 2 1/2 x 3/16 tubing costs $130 F'n Dollars.

    I have quite a bit of steel on the rack, bought when prices were real. If it were not for that stuff, I wouldn't be making anything. When your steel starts to cost more than your welding equipment, it's time to hang it up.

    Job numbers were poor last week, lagging expectations. The coneheads chalk it up to Covid. I think they're wrong. Inflation is trickling down to affect all business enterprises. This is unsustainable.

    Anyways........I guess the work starts tomorrow.

    6 stands, at retail price, would run around $480. With the steel prices today, I'm going to be lucky to come in at slightly above 2/3 that cost.

    130 steel
    45ish threaded rod
    40ish Acme nuts
    and this doesn't take into account the 2" 11ga tubing off the rack, if I were to pay for it at today's prices.

    THIS IS BULL$#!^
    Yes it sucks. I was quoted 240$ for a 4x 10 sheet of 16 gauge 2 weeks ago. Not long ago it was about 60$. Once again elections have their consequences.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Price check last week : 4’x8’x3/4” steel plate $1777cdn plus tax = about $1900.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  4. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Hey Sam, you have any 1" and 1 1/4" pipe laying around? It will make better pipe stands than the square tube. These are 27 years old and still work perfectly. Pretty easy to build too.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  6. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    Hey Sam, you have any 1" and 1 1/4" pipe laying around? It will make better pipe stands than the square tube. These are 27 years old and still work perfectly. Pretty easy to build too.
    The more I think about it, I made a stupid decision to go this route. I just couldn't get it out of my mind that I needed to make something that would mount to my sawhorses.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  pipe stands4.jpg
Views: 1081
Size:  221.4 KB This is probably the beginning of stagflation, mark my words. I don't see how anybody can keep a business going when something like this crappy 10' piece of 2 1/2 x 3/16 tubing costs $130 F'n Dollars.

    I have quite a bit of steel on the rack, bought when prices were real. If it were not for that stuff, I wouldn't be making anything. When your steel starts to cost more than your welding equipment, it's time to hang it up.

    Job numbers were poor last week, lagging expectations. The coneheads chalk it up to Covid. I think they're wrong. Inflation is trickling down to affect all business enterprises. This is unsustainable.

    Anyways........I guess the work starts tomorrow.

    6 stands, at retail price, would run around $480. With the steel prices today, I'm going to be lucky to come in at slightly above 2/3 that cost.

    130 steel
    45ish threaded rod
    40ish Acme nuts
    and this doesn't take into account the 2" 11ga tubing off the rack, if I were to pay for it at today's prices.

    THIS IS BULL$#!^
    Pretty much why I have a dozen or so Sumner folding pipe stands. My time is more valuable than that.

  9. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    Pretty much why I have a dozen or so Sumner folding pipe stands. My time is more valuable than that.
    I went the same route and I’m retired on a fixed income. Best investment in awhile.

  11. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  12. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hardwood Lands, Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    1,918
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Holy hell, that is unbelievable.
    Place I used to work buy a dozen or so tandem truck chassis most every year. Fella that got my job said the chassis went down slightly....then they added a $CAN1600 steel surcharge on top of it..............Mike

  13. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  14. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    If you think steel is bad, trying buying fertilizer. Right now I've locked in enough phosphate and sulphur for next year at a 14% increase which isn't too bad, but nobody will let me lock in nitrogen. Europe is shut down due to high natural gas costs (China has been shifting from coal due to international pressure to reduce emissions) and a big plant in the US gulf region got shut down after the last hurricane so nobody knows where stocks are coming from. They tell if I could lock it in today, the price would be double last yr's $500 plus/tonne.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  15. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Name:  pipe stands5.jpg
Views: 942
Size:  222.9 KB Most of the steel is cut, and marked for drilling.............well, about half I guess.

    I was able to come up with a design that uses very little steel, or at least LESS steel. So, at this point..............the 2 1/2 tubing cost is right around $52 for 48". I'm not sure what the angle cost, it's been on the rack for years. There's only 39" of it anyways.

    Was gonna get it all machined, but we have heavy storms coming in. I don't like being in the shop when it's bad.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,110
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    OK seems to get the worst of bad storms...hunker down. Do you have a fraidie hole? (aka storm shelter)

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
    OK seems to get the worst of bad storms...hunker down. Do you have a fraidie hole? (aka storm shelter)
    LOL. “fraidie hole”. Sure glad you clarified what you meant


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  18. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  19. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgetown, Texas
    Posts
    2,019
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    The more I think about it, I made a stupid decision to go this route. I just couldn't get it out of my mind that I needed to make something that would mount to my sawhorses.
    The best thing about thes stands is the rod for fine adjustment is a 3/4" all thread rod. You can make different heads on all thread couplers and easily change from a flat head to a V head or a roller head while using the same stands.

  20. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I don’t work with pipe enough for pipe stands so In the past I would make do with a forklift




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    :

  21. Likes _Weldman_, 12V71 liked this post
  22. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Clovis California
    Posts
    3,535
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    That works great

    I have did that too.
    Just a little till back and the pipe does not roll off the forks. If someone need the forklift just point to the hand cart.

    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I don’t work with pipe enough for pipe stands so In the past I would make do with a forklift




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  23. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  24. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    So they are pipe stand because the hold pipe? I have 4 sumners. They alright if you need something that heavy. Annoying to move and carry.

    Perhaps you could have modded some cheap material stands also.

    Interested to see what you come up with.

  25. #17
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    I don’t work with pipe enough for pipe stands so In the past I would make do with a forklift

    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    They do make interchangeable heads for Sumner jacks, they aren’t one trick ponies.
    https://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/pr....9.29.0.0.html

  26. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  27. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    They do make interchangeable heads for Sumner jacks, they aren’t one trick ponies.
    https://www.sumner.com/sumner/sub/pr....9.29.0.0.html
    Be cool to make a fork pocket to accommodate those interchangeable heads. Might need a set of double forks tho



    or two forklifts.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  28. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  29. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    If you think steel is bad, trying buying fertilizer. Right now I've locked in enough phosphate and sulphur for next year at a 14% increase which isn't too bad, but nobody will let me lock in nitrogen. Europe is shut down due to high natural gas costs (China has been shifting from coal due to international pressure to reduce emissions) and a big plant in the US gulf region got shut down after the last hurricane so nobody knows where stocks are coming from. They tell if I could lock it in today, the price would be double last yr's $500 plus/tonne.
    And you think fertilizer is bad. My daughters not here and I wasn't about to cook a turkey for myself. I got major sticker shock buying the smallest prime rib roast "on sale"....





    Yes, I'll make three meals out of it but still!

    More than double the price from earlier this year ??!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 10-11-2021 at 12:04 AM.
    :

  30. Likes whtbaron, _Weldman_ liked this post
  31. #20
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,265
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    That much for turkey and you could have eaten for a month...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  32. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
  33. #21
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    And you think fertilizer is bad. My daughters not here and I wasn't about to cook a turkey for myself. I got major sticker shock buying the smallest prime rib roast "on sale"....

    Yes, I'll make three meals out of it but still!

    More than double the price from earlier this year ??!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think that cost me about 50 cents to get
    Name:  905C1066-2771-439A-A4FD-850059EA594B.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  150.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  34. Likes Lis2323, N2 Welding liked this post
  35. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,603
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Think that cost me about 50 cents to get
    Name:  905C1066-2771-439A-A4FD-850059EA594B.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  150.9 KB
    Maybe closer to a BUCK?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  36. #23
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    216
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Maybe closer to a BUCK?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope, half a BUCK as I said since it wasn’t fully grown.

  37. Likes Lis2323, 12V71 liked this post
  38. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    And you think fertilizer is bad. My daughters not here and I wasn't about to cook a turkey for myself. I got major sticker shock buying the smallest prime rib roast "on sale"....





    Yes, I'll make three meals out of it but still!

    More than double the price from earlier this year ??!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    GONNA GET MAD COW DISEASE EATIN' RAW MEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


  39. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Waving a piece of meat over the fire for 3 seconds doesn't qualify as cooking

  40. Likes Lis2323, jw3 liked this post
    Dislikes Roert42 disliked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,638,491,497.18810 seconds with 13 queries