Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 138

Thread: Pipe Stands

  1. #51
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I know the feeling. I'm welding up a mount to get the new satellite dish up on top of my tallest grain bin to get away from obstructions to the satellite signal ( it's for the Starlink system and the dish moves with the satellites). I was just about done welding when I thought I had the whole thing out 90 degrees, so I redrilled my mounting holes. Turns out I had it right the first time. Hate it when I make the mistake of thinking I made a mistake when I really hadn't.
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  2. Likes bfjou812 liked this post
  3. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    AR
    Posts
    2,111
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post

    DON'T GET PAST YER PRIME!!!!!!!!!!! IT POSITIVELY SUCKS.

    DO NOT GET OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is this what you mean?????? Hell yes!!!!!

    Name:  FB_IMG_1634223531256.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  110.6 KB

  4. Likes Lis2323, whtbaron, Country Metals liked this post
  5. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by whtbaron View Post
    I know the feeling. I'm welding up a mount to get the new satellite dish up on top of my tallest grain bin to get away from obstructions to the satellite signal ( it's for the Starlink system and the dish moves with the satellites). I was just about done welding when I thought I had the whole thing out 90 degrees, so I redrilled my mounting holes. Turns out I had it right the first time. Hate it when I make the mistake of thinking I made a mistake when I really hadn't.
    What?? And no new naughty words to share??


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  6. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  7. #54
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,278
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Negotiating with Webster's on the next re-write of the dictionary...
    The harder you fall, the higher you bounce...

    250 amp Miller DialArc AC/DC Stick
    F-225 amp Forney AC Stick
    230 amp Sears AC Stick
    Lincoln 180C MIG
    Victor Medalist 350 O/A
    Cut 50 Plasma
    Les

  8. Likes 12V71, Lis2323, _Weldman_ liked this post
  9. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Name:  pipe stands31.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  207.5 KB

    Name:  pipe stands32.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  191.9 KB

    Here's where I got it all wrong.............just about

    Name:  pipe stands33.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  206.7 KB In order to clear the Acme threaded rod that will come in from the top, the bolt has to be lowered. This required an extra set of holes on the bottom of the main thingy. It was a surprise I hadn't counted on. Luckily the piece of tubing was long enough to add the extra holes.

    Name:  pipe stands34.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  193.6 KB When the telescoping thing is raised enough to clear the Acme rod, the top set of holes can be used.

    Name:  pipe stands35.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  232.3 KB I guess that's a pretty reasonable max height. It'll gain another inch, or so, when the top nut is intalled. IIRC, the stands will have an 18" range, which is ok I guess.

  10. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  11. #56
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I gotta say I love my stands, they are used for all kinds of stuff around the shop that has nothing to do with pipe. I use these to hold up and adjust semitrailer frames fo landing gear replacements or frame straightening. Just really handy for all kinds of stuff.Name:  20211019_103621.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  96.1 KB

  12. Likes _Weldman_, whtbaron, Munkul liked this post
  13. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by 12V71 View Post
    I gotta say I love my stands, they are used for all kinds of stuff around the shop that has nothing to do with pipe. I use these to hold up and adjust semitrailer frames fo landing gear replacements or frame straightening. Just really handy for all kinds of stuff.Name:  20211019_103621.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  96.1 KB
    I still need to figure out the angle on the plate for the screw head. I'm thinking I need something a little steeper, and longer, because of the unlevel ground. Hate to have the pipe roll off the stands.

  14. #58
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I can check that angle. I've had 20" pipe on these, when you turn the pipe it seems to work better if you lift to turn rather than push down. It slips better that way.

  15. #59
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I still need to figure out the angle on the plate for the screw head. I'm thinking I need something a little steeper, and longer, because of the unlevel ground. Hate to have the pipe roll off the stands.
    I'm on such uneven ground if I park the semi wrong all the fuel will drain to other tank, if I try to turn around said semi with trailer on the back a "regular 40' PJ gooseneck trailer" I will drag the arse end
    on the ground and cause the wheels to free float it's so uneven here. Yet my same stands as 12V71 have don't tip over with pipe on it, we are talking 4.5" @ 40' long, did you know these stands also hold 2500 lbs a piece.

  16. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  17. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    2500# on a good day,, with the stars aligned, and stands on level hard ground. I don't figure it'll cost me any consequential amount to extend the ears a bit.

    I'd wager that the saw horses are about the most solid base a guy could want. Not very tippy. It's the pipe coming off the cradle that I worry about. The upcoming project is a total ground build. Ultimately, at the final phase, the thing's gonna weigh about 2500#. At the end, there's gonna be a tilt up operation to attach the last sub assembly. About 2/3 of the thing will be on the stands, while the last 1/3 will be rotated on saddles in the pipe to bring it up to where it can be welded. I'm pretty stressed about it. Losing the loader has really put a strain on things. With the loader, it would have been a simple pick, and lower.................with the little 3pt crane it's gonna be a pick on one end, and rotate to lift on the other end.

  18. #61
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21-26-59 Fold-A-Jack.png
Views: 351
Size:  78.4 KB

  19. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  20. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I just ran the sawhorse beam through BeamBoy.

    Midpoint load 4000# gives a 30Ksi stress level. That's really pushing the limit

    Midpoint load 2500# gives a 21Ksi strass level. A safe load.

    And, I don't have to move the things to square up anything I'm building. Just a matter of sliding the attachment along the beam to compensate for out of square. I think I'm gonna like using these things. I won't enjoy welding the pipe though.............I ain't no pipe guy. I see a lot of pain in my future.
    Last edited by farmersammm; 10-20-2021 at 12:36 AM.

  21. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  22. #63
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 21-26-59 Fold-A-Jack.png
Views: 351
Size:  78.4 KB
    That train, my friend, has already left the station

  23. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  24. #64
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Location
    45.97267, -106.27818
    Posts
    217
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I just ran the sawhorse beam through BeamBoy.

    Midpoint load 4000# gives a 30Ksi stress level. That's really pushing the limit

    Midpoint load 2500# gives a 21Ksi strass level. A safe load.

    And, I don't have to move the things to square up anything I'm building. Just a matter of sliding the attachment along the beam to compensate for out of square. I think I'm gonna like using these things. I won't enjoy welding the pipe though.............I ain't no pipe guy. I see a lot of pain in my future.
    What did the calculator say for the legs on ground pressure they can hold before sinking in the soil or then folding over from sheer stress?

  25. #65
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by _Weldman_ View Post
    What did the calculator say for the legs on ground pressure they can hold before sinking in the soil or then folding over from sheer stress?
    Hell, I really don't know what the results would be. I'd imagine about the same as a standard jack stand used for automotive use. The A frame structure is a very strong structure.

    I'm not sure a commercial pipe stand would do very well on soft ground either. A tripod doesn't act well when it's out of plumb. Like I said earlier, in response, I'd figure the commercial stands would hold 2500# on a good day. On a bad day, you might have a few hundred pounds of steel on your toes.

    I like to drop the sawhorses when I set them up.................it helps to embed them in the ground a bit. I know they won't move. It's the reason the bottom of the legs aren't tied together...............I need something that will work its way into the ground. A strap across the bottom would prevent this. My steel rack has a strap across the bottom, and it's mounted to treated lumber..........precisely so it won't sink into the ground. Different application.

    We get a lot of rain around here,, and the ground gets extremely soft. So far, I haven't had any problems I guess. I think I made the original 4 sawhorses around 23yrs ago, and only added the next 2 sometime in 2014.

  26. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    I had to search through another drive to find these. They date back to 2015 according to the file data.

    Name:  pipe stands36.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  230.8 KB Same time honored design. IIRC, a 6' clear span. 3x3x3/16 tubing beam. I figure at one time I had about 2 tons on these. Not in the center,, but distributed evenly across the entire span. I'd dearly like to see them full of steel again, but that's probably not gonna happen at the prices today. And, at my age, there's just not enough projects to do anymore. Probably wind up storing the 8" pipe on them though, to keep them off the ground until I get to the build.

    But anyways...........these are tied at the bottom, and mounted on lumber to keep the entire mess from sinking into the mud

  27. Likes Munkul, whtbaron, VaughnT liked this post
  28. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    939
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Metaltech Adjustable Leveling Jack, Model# M-MBSJP24H $28 @ northern tool

    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...2262_200442262

    Load capacity: 6875 lbs HUMAN LOAD rated (higher safety factor likely)

    Name:  jack screw.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  38.2 KB

  29. Likes 12V71 liked this post
  30. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Simple tip when trying to turn pipe in pipe stands especially rusty pipe out the pipe in the stands and when your ready spray the vee head with WD40 right where the pipe stands touch the pipe each time you turn it spray it it gets easier each roll wipe head before starting a new joint also when welding on pipe in stands ALWAYS ground to object being welded other wise you pit up head

  31. Likes _Weldman_, Lis2323 liked this post
  32. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Read you part about sqauring as tight as you have them fitting i a betting they are gonna be hard to slide with a load on ! Should ha put UMHW on them sawhorses are a different horse to wok with you must identify this when you set them or you will build a disaster you stated you drop them to set them to work off of them ! Saw horses with a screw jack that is manufactured square on the sawhorse means the sawhorse has to set level other wise you will pus the object { pipe } sideways or you will push one end in ground and hires will tip ! Anytime your working on the groun you need all the help you can get. If it was me those sawhorses would have a strap welded on them

  33. #70
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    Simple tip when trying to turn pipe in pipe stands especially rusty pipe out the pipe in the stands and when your ready spray the vee head with WD40 right where the pipe stands touch the pipe each time you turn it spray it it gets easier each roll wipe head before starting a new joint also when welding on pipe in stands ALWAYS ground to object being welded other wise you pit up head
    Yep, that helps. I also keep the heads on mine polished up with a flap wheel and smooth over the sharp "diggy" edges on the tops of the vees.

  34. #71
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Wa. state
    Posts
    5,295
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    I won't enjoy welding the pipe though.............I ain't no pipe guy. I see a lot of pain in my future.[/I]
    The welding is the easy part... Fitting it up is the fun part.

  35. Likes _Weldman_ liked this post
  36. #72
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Name:  pipe stands37.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  205.8 KB Finished drilling the rest of the holes. I believe there were EIGHTY FOUR STINKIN' HOLES ALL IN ALL Got the stock cut for the top plugs. Drill them out, machine the DOM, and they're ready for welding.

    It physically hurts every time I cut some of the DOM off the stick. I've been working on an 8' stick for over 20yrs. It's like seeing an old friend go. I think I'm down to about 40 inches now

  37. Likes VaughnT liked this post
  38. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    B.C. Canada
    Posts
    5,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Name:  pipe stands37.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  205.8 KB Finished drilling the rest of the holes. I believe there were EIGHTY FOUR STINKIN' HOLES ALL IN ALL Got the stock cut for the top plugs. Drill them out, machine the DOM, and they're ready for welding.

    It physically hurts every time I cut some of the DOM off the stick. I've been working on an 8' stick for over 20yrs. It's like seeing an old friend go. I think I'm down to about 40 inches now
    Same. Just be glad you don't have to buy it today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    :

  39. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  40. #74
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4,436
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    Quote Originally Posted by Lis2323 View Post
    Same. Just be glad you don't have to buy it today.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep, "physical hurt" would still be felt.

  41. Likes whtbaron liked this post
  42. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    6,163
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Pipe Stands

    A good source for DOM is Stock Car Metal. Reasonable price, and fair shipping charges. Ebay does NOT have good prices on DOM...............and if the price seems fairly reasonable, the shipping is outrageous.

    I only keep a few standard(for me) sizes, so my shopping list is fairly short.

    What bothers me, is the price of structural steel. I'm being priced out of the market.

    Name:  material storage.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  352.0 KB I used to keep a fair amount of steel on hand. Not anymore. This pic was taken after a fairly heavy drawdown from my stash. I believe just those two feeders under construction ate up near on 8-900#. IIRC, there were maybe 3-4 fairly large projects preceding this build. The stuff just melts away.

    I used to just waltz on in to the LWS in November, and buy a list of standard stuff I might use. Price is always better in that month. I can't do that anymore, and I'm a bit worried about it..................Hell...........I'm a LOT worried about it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Page generated in 1,638,595,643.52047 seconds with 15 queries