Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Pipe Stands

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pipe Stands

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    Because of RPM maybe? You won't be going that fast rolling pipe....will you :-) ?..........Mike
    Hand operated.

Which is a real eye opener when it comes to turning resistance. You don't feel the resistance on a motorized thing, but you sure can tell the difference when something's hand operated.

One of the best bearing materials, other than steel roller/ball bearings, is nylon or some other types of plastic. I guess it's the makeup of the material that makes it "slippery". The journal has to be real clean for it to work.........get a bit of dirt in there, and the plastic acts like a brake.

Now that y'all got me thinking...........I'd even wonder if sealed deep groove ball bearings might be a cheap solution. Mount them on an incline, and you'd have clearance for any size pipe. Just move the axles up the inclines for larger size pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

'Course ya need the pipe to stop spinning Get too fancy, and ya's just gonna sit there all day waiting for it to stop

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, a guy could just roll the damn things on the sawhorses................but when the dood set my pipe off to the side for pickup, I was amazed at how unstable they were on the skid steer. Didn't take much for them to try and come off the forks. Little bit of an incline, and the things were on their way to Texas

Post Thanks / Like

First of all lightly buff the rust of approximately where your stands are going to be placed secondly keep your vee heads clean pour some pipe in there put a pipe wrench in the end after the pipe is level Ty and turn it if it turns hard spray just a little wd40 on the vee head and try again when you remove a piece of pipe clean heads go again worst thing you can do is ground to pipe stand ALWAYS GROUND to pipe so you don’t have a stand full if pits always use a sanding disc on stands to clean not grinding wheel

5. Likes farmersammm liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leogl View Post
    First of all lightly buff the rust of approximately where your stands are going to be placed secondly keep your vee heads clean pour some pipe in there put a pipe wrench in the end after the pipe is level Ty and turn it if it turns hard spray just a little wd40 on the vee head and try again when you remove a piece of pipe clean heads go again worst thing you can do is ground to pipe stand ALWAYS GROUND to pipe so you don’t have a stand full if pits always use a sanding disc on stands to clean not grinding wheel
    Yeah, you'd mentioned greasing the V's earlier. Or greasing the pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Got the heaters running out in the shop. IT'S SHAFT DAY!! The 1144 came in the mail yesterday while I was in Tulsa. Won't get back to this for at least a day, but it's something you guys gave me to think about. Pipe is pretty unfriendly if you don't know how to work with it.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys need to up your caster game. Good casters will not flat spot iffin’ you get the correct compound and these are rated for 800lbs. Each. Used them for years on my stuff and never had any issues.

Name:  12A826BA-13CD-41A8-B90F-D96CC07861CE.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  67.9 KB
    Name:  72116177-805F-45FC-A73C-A5A1E63EF195.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  85AFA13C-B4C2-4486-AB91-D4CA63657FD4.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  94.8 KB

9. Likes Beefman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pipe Stands

Quote Originally Posted by Tarmstrong View Post
    You guys need to up your caster game. Good casters will not flat spot iffin’ you get the correct compound and these are rated for 800lbs. Each. Used them for years on my stuff and never had any issues.

Name:  12A826BA-13CD-41A8-B90F-D96CC07861CE.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  67.9 KB
    Name:  72116177-805F-45FC-A73C-A5A1E63EF195.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  78.7 KB
    Name:  85AFA13C-B4C2-4486-AB91-D4CA63657FD4.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  94.8 KB
    Yes they are rated for 800 # each but I know from experience leave a 2000 pound load (500# per wheel) overnite and you'll have to be a pretty big guy to try to get it rolling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lis2323; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:27 PM.
    :

Post Thanks / Like

My welding table had an 800lbs engine on it for months…it too weighs 800lbs…nothing.

I also have my boats on dollies with the same casters (ER Wagner or RWS) and they weight 4K and 2800lbs and I move them both…easily alone…

I tried several compounds and finally figured out which one won’t flat spot over time. I have the boats on the dollies about 7-8 months at a time.

12. Likes Lis2323 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by farmersammm View Post
    Hand operated.

Which is a real eye opener when it comes to turning resistance. You don't feel the resistance on a motorized thing, but you sure can tell the difference when something's hand operated.

One of the best bearing materials, other than steel roller/ball bearings, is nylon or some other types of plastic. I guess it's the makeup of the material that makes it "slippery". The journal has to be real clean for it to work.........get a bit of dirt in there, and the plastic acts like a brake.

Now that y'all got me thinking...........I'd even wonder if sealed deep groove ball bearings might be a cheap solution. Mount them on an incline, and you'd have clearance for any size pipe. Just move the axles up the inclines for larger size pipe.
    I have built my own roller stands in the past with 3/8" plate rounds turning on a 1/2" pin, no bearing, no bushing, and the guys even grounded through them (not recommended) but they worked just fine. Personally, I have no use for rollers, Once I have the pipe centerline established I do not want it moving while I am marking cuts, etc. And I don't want it moving while cutting or grinding saddle cuts, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

If you buy the correct caster, like Tarmstrong said, there won't be an issue. I've had a 700 pound backhoe attachment on Harbor Freight casters for about two years now and I can still move it around easily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hvw View Post
    If you buy the correct caster, like Tarmstrong said, there won't be an issue. I've had a 700 pound backhoe attachment on Harbor Freight casters for about two years now and I can still move it around easily.
    Which ones do you use? I've used the 3" solid poly casters rated 275lb ea; used them for my garage shelving (5-shelf, 2ft x 4ft x 6ft) bases and they work pretty good I'd say. Also used them for my 30HP RPC and my 30kVA 3-Φ transformer.
    1st on WeldingWeb to have a scrolling sig!

Post Thanks / Like

Castor wheels just don’t work in pipe stands save your self time and money LOL I have 25 maybe 30 stands I don’t ever use rollers everyone is over thinking this whole project making it way harder then need be farmmersam will never get his crane built he is using up all his time building pipe stands

17. Likes 12V71, IAMsteelworker liked this post